Importing clothes

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I want to import clothes to the dr. Help please.

Regular clothes, or special fashion varieties? Where do you plan on bringing the clothes from? And finally, why do you need help? I recall hearing about a fellow who tried to import coal to Newcastle..... it was a big mistake! Canadian Bob.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Same Question

I want to import Jeans from Colombia..Since they are of better quality than Dominican..I mean several hundred pair via a container shipment...What do I have to look foreward to??

mike24

Oct 17, 2006
no name brand clothes not special fashion clothes, importing from the us and i need to know the laws on importing clothes to the dr.

Last edited:

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
no name brand clothes not special fashion clothes, importing from the us and i need to know the laws on importing clothes to the dr.

we do it all the time, just fill a big box full of clothes, wrap it REAL good, and call a shipping company, they come to your place, pick it up, ask you whats in it, we say food, and off it goes. Usually takes a month to get there. We've prob shipped four or five boxes this past year and so far nothing has been stolen, only thing is one box arrived damaged, but since it was clothes nothing happened.

mike24

Oct 17, 2006
Why do you say food? I thought that was a no no. How much for shipping 120 pounds of clothes?

cuas

May 29, 2006
A box of food when on sale (special occasion like Christmas, Mother's day. Independence day) is about 70 dollars.
Used clothes is a little bit more. New clothes is more than double.
The shipping co. provides the box, but charge you 6 dollars when you pick it up or when they deliver it, then you can deduct it when they pick up the full box. It's called puerta a puerta.
My brother send boxes with food every time to his family in Tenares. He was paying extra money to put on the side 100lbs bag of rice and big container of oil, but now they are going to restrict the rice because people who sell rice in DR are complaining. Rice is not selling as before. Now what he does is he pours the full 100lb of rice in the box.
People prepare the boxes and seal them, then when the shipping co. come to pick up the box they will ask you what is inside you tell them food and pay for the food price.
Last year a friend put a small TV in a box, the container was randomly scanned, TV was found. He had to pay I think $75.00 extra for the TV.
This is on your own risk. Maybe you will never get caught.
Another friend sent a box with Christmas goodies, her familiy received the box in April because that particular container was scanned in Florida but nothing was missing.