Suggestions on travel to other islands?

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
We are spending the winter in DR (Cabarete), I would appreciate recommendations about trips to other islands around the DR which would be fun and easy. Approximately 1 week....

abe

Jan 2, 2002
The Caribbean is blessed with diversity--maybe you should indicate what appeals to you. For example, as a change from the Spanish-speaking DR, perhaps you would like a French island. From noisy but fun Cabarete, maybe you would like the complete quiet of Maho Bay Campground on St. John's USVI. There's such a wide range of places and lifestyles to be experienced in the Caribbean, you might consider listing what would appeal to you.

"Around the DR" is relative--you might find intra-island flights that would make longer trips affordable and convenient. You can also get to Central America directly from the DR.

I would be happy to offer some ideas if you can help focus the discussion a bit.

Have fun.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Inter island travel is rather expensive, although the AA Eagle flights to San Juan are not that bad, but the flights to Cuba are no bargain.
Sometimes it's worth finding one of these 3 or 4 day specials, with hotel & food included in Havana.(Flights to Cuba are only out of Santo Domingo.)
Travel to other islands is quite pricey and often inconvenient, requiring lay overs.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"Do you have any advice on travel to PR (I will not have a car) and Cuba?"

Doesn't matter about the car -- the bridges are still in the planning stage.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
Once you get to San Juan on AA, you can get on Cape Air , Carribean Air or Seabourne (quite easily to St Thomas and or St Croix for anywhere from $55 walkup if they have available space to $149 advance purchase- these three have websites to check....ferry over St John is pretty cheap, but plan ahead on $$$$$ accomodations, ferry to Tortola from St Thomas ($90), and a few other islands.
From San Juan on AA you can go to quite a number of other islands- for a price- recently saw $180 plus taxes roundtrip to Barbados, put it at total $300+/-. Be aware that they don't give hotel rooms away in San Juan, or St Thomas/St Croix (well, they might give the room away in Fredericksted, but you'd need to pay $35 for a cab ride from the airport and be sure to lock up EVERY and ANYthing or it will have feet).

-Maggie

kcl060

Dec 10, 2006
If you're going to go island hopping, it's waay better costwise to just buy a multi-destination ticket that includes your departure from the US as opposed to buying tickets straight out of DR. DR flights are expensive. For example, a flight from Richmond, VA to PR is about half that of one from DR to PR.

If you plan to go to the island of Dominica, make sure you make your multi-destination connect in PR on the way TO Dominica (for no reason besides to lower the price). You can do the connection for the same day as your arrival in Dominica if you don't actually want to be in Puerto Rico or not, if you want to stay in PR. You'll save about $300 this way. The ferry to PR is way too long and expensive, but cheaper than a round trip (as opposed to multi-destination) from DR. Expedia has been great as far as prices on multi-destination trips.
Below is more info about Dominica if you're interested.
Suba diving, whale watching, snorkelling, Cabrits Dive Centre, East Carib Dive, Anchorage, Dive Dominica, Nature Island Dive, Nature Island Destinations, Commonwealth of Dominica, West Indies - accommodation island-wide, vehicle hire, bird watching, and NationMaster - Dominican Crime statistics
Frequently Asked Questions about Dominica and it's Real Estate, land and property opportunities

The virgin islands are one of the more expensive locations as far as cost of the flight if you add it to a multi-destination set-up.

Hope this helped! I'm going to try to go there after I go to DR. P.S. the hotel most people stay at in Dominica is Fort Young Hotel. Check out their weekend specials and be sure to be careful about hurricane season. Good luck!

kcl060

Dec 10, 2006
Maggie, do you have any idea what the chances are of getting a room by "walk-in" ? Which of the virgin islands would have the best price on rooms?

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Turks and Caicos

I understand there are flights from POP to Provo where you will find beautiful beaches and fabulous diving and snorkeling. Its a desert island but there are palm trees imported from the DR along with lots of Dominican staff because the locals receive stipends from the UK and tend not to work much. Rooms and food are expensive. Advantages are that its very close by and the diving is divine!