Using the buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

chacha777

Dec 2, 2006
Wondering about the buses from Cofresi to Puerto Plata and other nearby places? Are they easy to use and can you just ask the drivers to let you off at certain places? Is there public and private buses? I will have kids aged 10 and 8 with me.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wondering about the buses from Cofresi to Puerto Plata and other nearby places? Are they easy to use and can you just ask the drivers to let you off at certain places? Is there public and private buses? I will have kids aged 10 and 8 with me.
There are public cars and guaguas.
The guaguas are vans, and the public cars have a sign on the roof a bit smaller that a taxi sign, and say, "transporte".
They will pick you up by the side of the road and drop you off anywhere along their run.
Have exact change and try to find out the correct fare from someone, before leaving, otherwise they will charge you way more.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh Rocky, you didn't tell her/him about the hand flap signing!!

You stand by the side of the road, and if you see a guaguita that you want, you flap your hand as if you were patting an invisible little person on the head. Hand down, slowly.

Ask people at the hotel what the rate for going into the city is, and, as per Rocky's suggestions, have it in hand.

Have a Happy New Year...

HB

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Cofresi - POP: Vans / Gua Guas!!

There is a roast chicken, etc. restaruant, named "Fellino's" between the entrances to Playa Cofresi & [very near the] Altos de Cofresi;

* it is a de facto bus terminal for 5 - 10 vans, on a usual day. A dispatcher, usually reading his Bible, sends out the vans @ every 15"- depending on anticipated daily traffic & demand.

* The fare is 10 Pesos 1 way; you read that correctly! 10 Pesos, @ US $0.33. Tipping is not expected! If you board @ Fellino's you will always get the best seat in the empty van. Otherwise?

* The van adopts a very slow pace to POP, stopping for whomever is waiting & waving;

* the driver will usually ask you where you want to go; the customary route [based on my limited experience] is the Javillar [large pubic bus terminal], Avenida Colon, Silverio Messon, Caribe Tours Terminal, near the Pulga - Mercado Nuevo, & back to Fellino's on the Autpiste;

* the driver will drop you as close as possible to where you desire to go; nearly every thing w/i POP is a 5" - 10" walk from where you get dropped off. If not, you can take a motor concho WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! I wouldn't do it!

* Returning to Cofresi? Reverse the process. There are many such vans; ask the driver 1st if he is going to Cofresi.

* A very pleasant adventure; some insight into DR culture, local transportation at least; + the roast chicken, etc. & cold beer @ Fellino's is VG & inexpenisve. ENJOY!

chacha777

Dec 2, 2006
Thanks

Wondering if guaguas are the ones you get squashed on? Not sure if I should bring kids on these?I don't mind but the kids might.

Sosuany

Nov 11, 2006
Are there public cars (taxis) going to Cabarete from Sosua? If yes, how much? And are there public cars going from Cabarete to Sosua? I saw the public cars taxis area from Sosua to Puerta Plata, but I don't know if there is a stand or area for public cars going to Cabarete from Sosua. Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Are there public cars (taxis) going to Cabarete from Sosua? If yes, how much? And are there public cars going from Cabarete to Sosua? I saw the public cars taxis area from Sosua to Puerta Plata, but I don't know if there is a stand or area for public cars going to Cabarete from Sosua. Thanks.
There are both public cars and taxis.
Big difference in price.
Taxi probably costs 10 bucks, and less than 1 buck for the public car.
You just stand on the side of the road and flag them down.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004

The stand for the public cars from Sosua to Cabarete is across the street from the Texaco Station at the fruit stand.

conniendon

Jan 9, 2007
Sun Village in Cofresi to Sosua

Glad to hear there is an option to the taxi's. How will I know when the bus leaves for Sosua and the fare so I can have exact change at the ready? Thanks for the help.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Glad to hear there is an option to the taxi's. How will I know when the bus leaves for Sosua and the fare so I can have exact change at the ready? Thanks for the help.
For Sun Village to Sosua you will need to change buses.
Get the "C" guagua on the main road in front of the hotel (they run every 10-15 minutes). Fare 10 pesos. Take it into Puerto Plata and get off at the public hospital. As this point you have two options. You can get the Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan guagua for 20 pesos or take the Puerto Plata-Sosua public car for 30 pesos. Both are waiting at the corner just past the hospital. The guaguas stop running at 8PM, the public cars run 24 hours with an additional 5 pesos after 8PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.