Caberete During the day - TIPS, IDEAS, things to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
We will be in DR Feb 9-17 and have a few days planned so far OFF the resort (mostly in Sousa). But I am also interested in spending time in Cabarete during the day with many from my group. Or is there somewhere else we should visit?

Breezes resort has free shuttle to Cabarete a few times a day. Can someone tell me where the shuttle drops you off at?

What goes on during the day time in Cabarete? Are places open for food, drink?

I had found a map this past year (of course cant find now) that has the names of bars/tour companies/landmarks. Does anyone know where this can be found?

Any ideas for this group of 24 (age 30's-60s') for a few hours during the day in Cabarete? We do like history, trying new foods, cold beers and shopping (at least us females like to shop)!!
thanks

PS the party animals in the group are already aware of the late night Pub Crawl

Last edited:

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
Cabarete is great for a daytime visit. I have just spent the day in Cabarete today. We had lunch in Onno's which is very good. Lots of places along the beach open for food and drink during the day. Also lots of good shopping along the main road. Don't know much about historical things in Cabarete, I have never found any!! Maybe others will know!!
Have a great trip.

harrydr

On Vacation
Dec 12, 2006
The beach in Cabarete has just been refurbished and it's very nice. A local will set you up with chairs and umbrellas for some pesos. He'll bring you beverages as well. Relax and watch the kiteboarders. Quite a few restaurants to chose from. All of them have their menus posted. Some shopping. There is even a tiny mini-golf (putt-puitt). You will all have a great day there.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I spent a day on the beach while there the other week. My cousin and I spent a whole day chatting and sunbathing on Cabarete beach. We got a cocktail in a pineapple, then we went for lunch to a delicious place right on the beach. Then we found a super irish bar that had a happy hour from 5-7. A beer was like 100 pesos and then you could have free refills during the happy hour!!! We had a whale of a time...and we got pretty drunk! It was a lovely day of relaxing and drinking!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The beach is great. If you buy a drink at most bars you can use the beach chairs for free. On Sundays NFL football at O"sheay's. Caves of Cabrette may be worth seeing but watter is cold. Shops are Shops. We tink nice small town and we have found it very safe and friendly, but like anyplace else, don' be stupid.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks everyone - what a great bunch of advice and it sounds like there is something for everyone in my group that decides to go to Cabarete.

Gladly, football will be over when we arrive on Feb 9!!

I am still looking for the freaken map I found a couple months ago with all the bars, tour offices in Cabarete listed along the beach - I know it is outdated most likely - but if anyone knows of it, I would like to be able to "Kind of" give my group an idea of what to expect in Cabarete...and a lineup of bars/restaurants is something to lure them off the resort.......:cheeky:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
BettyB,
I'm guessing you're looking for one of these?
Active Cabarete - Maps of Cabarete, Dominican Republic

Top left map is most up to date.
Bottom left is not bad... the businesses that are no longer there were simply replaced with other similar venues.

FYI... beautiful weather today. Sunny, low-mid 80's, not a cloud to be seen at the moment & windy enough for kite sailing and wind surfing.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
CFA - thanks a bunch.
I just found it again after hitting various links - but for some reason doesnt look like the same map I had originally found. It will do for now although the website wont let me copy the larger version - I can copy the smaller ones but picture not FULL or as good.

looking forward to spending some hours in Cabarete when we visit!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Betty,
I was able to print the top left map verrrry big.
Try to maximize the map window when it pops up.
Then right click the map & choose print.
Good luck!

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
CFA - I am trying to copy and paste it to another program/folder( I make little guides for myself and friends that travel with me) It will let me copy the small map pictures, but when I try to enlarge them in the publisher program it gets blurry. The large pics will not let me copy them at all:ermm:

I just saved it to another folder and copied it from there. Usually dont have this type of problem.

Am really interested now in spending 1/2 a day or so in Cabarete here and there during our vacation. I really want my parents to have a great time - they are in their 60s and this is the second Caribbean trip I have made them take in a year..and now they are loving it and I want them to keep loving it.
You only live once......
and paradise is a must....

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
BettyB2,
If you want to private msg me your e-mail address, I'll send you jpegs of the maps that are easily legible.

I wish I could get my parents down here, but mom's past the point of travelling well & dad won't travel without her. He used to work here in the 80's & 90's... I'd like him to see how much things have changed. I know he'd be amazed and impressed.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
CFA - thanks SOOOOO much for the maps. They came out perfect and are easy enough to read. As I said, I know they may be out of date but my group will be very happy to receive them.....

woohooo they came out awesome!
:cheeky:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A nice feature of Cabarete is 90% of the restaurants, shops, and tour companies are along a 1/4 mile (or so) strip, so you can start at one end, walk to the other, and see everything quite easily.

Besides the happy hour at Jose O'sheas mentioned above, Ohno's has different happy hours from 4pm on and Casanova's has one from 5-7 and again from 10-12...they both include various food and drinks at half price, and are also right on the beach... Ohno's also has good lunch specials...

paladino

Jan 4, 2007
Cabarete was nice!

Just got back from week in DR. Travelled by car from SD to Cabarete, Rio San Juan, Sosua, POP, Santaigo. No question Cabarete was our favorite place. Going back in three months until we get tired of the place. FYI: I have travelled a bit in S. Americana as well as C. America and DR is a cut above except for SD. SD is HELL! Cabarete is HEAVEN!

Best Beach Area - Cabarete Beach
Best steak in town - Restaurant on beach at Hotel Villa Tiana
Best seafood in town - El Pescador
Best burger - Jose O'shays Irish Pub
Best pizza - Pomodoros
Best ice cream - Coco gelati flavor at Ice Cream Stand in doorway behind Pomodoro's
Best bar to waste afternoon - Jose O'shays Irish Pub
Best food market - Janet's Market
Best breakfasat al a carte - Ohno's Restaurant on Cabarete Beach
Best shopping experience - Jewelry Store in the entrace from street to Jose O'shay Irish Pub
Best place to get drunk on $16 - Bar at Hotel Villa Tiana, Johnny Walk Black Double will put you under as they pour 1/3 a bottle with water on the side.
Best price for Cuban cigars - Haggle to the death with beach vendor and got 25 Cuban Monte Cristo #2 for $40USD. Regular pay $250 in Florida for same.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks David and Paladino for the information. It sounds great and cannot wait to spend an afternoon in Cabrete!!

I really like the idea of 1/4 mile stretch to be able to see everything and cant wait to bring my parents and friends there for an afternoon (or 2, or 3):cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.