timeshares

Status
Not open for further replies.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
There are many! Are you looking to buy? OR looking to trade your weeks you already own?

There is Fun Royale / Tropical, Occidental Hotels, Viva Hotels, Play Naco, Paradise.

In Cofresi you have the largest option for Timeshare being the Lifestyle Hacienda.

And yes of course they are giving tours......

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dear Mrscrawford

Believe me you won't have to seek them out as they will surly find you probably on your first day here...........You undoubtedly will be offered anything from a T-shirt to a new Cadillac in exchange for taking a (SHORT TOUR)
Enjoy your stay in Puerto Plata.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
You undoubtedly will be offered anything from a T-shirt to a new Cadillac in exchange for taking a (SHORT TOUR)
... and the sales rep might get pretty nasty of you try to leave early -- on your terms rather than when he says you're done.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
One point to remember, in the DR, timeshares have no deeded rights. No matter what the sales rep may say, if the company selling the timeshare (which may not be the hotel itself) goes under, you are not a secured party. This differs from many other countries where you receive a deed for your share.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you want a time share, we suggest you go to one of the biger hotel chains. People who bought time at Arurro in Caberete lost everything. If your dealing with Wyndom or another ligit. company be sure your time is in the major Co. name so you can trade it. Otherwise ?????

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If you want a time share, we suggest you go to one of the biger hotel chains. People who bought time at Arurro in Caberete lost everything. If your dealing with Wyndom or another ligit. company be sure your time is in the major Co. name so you can trade it. Otherwise ?????
Even that is no guarantee. For example, timeshares at Wyndham are actually sold by Viva. People that previously bought at Viva Villa Dorado are now using Viva Wyndham. You won't know where you may end up if Viva discontinues it's association with Wyndham. The point is that your contract is with the timeshare company and not the hotel in most cases. Be sure who you are entering into a contract with.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
thrree days

I also believe that unlike in the US you DO NOT have three days to change your mind after you sign and give them the money. So beware.

Bob K

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I often meet people, from around here, in the DR with timeshares who pay as much (and often more) for their flight than I pay for the whole AI package including my single supplement.
Plus they pay $40 US per day for the food and drinks.
Plus the actual cost of the timeshare.
This doesn't make any sense at all to me.:ermm:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I often meet people, from around here, in the DR with timeshares who pay as much (and often more) for their flight than I pay for the whole AI package including my single supplement.
Plus they pay $40 US per day for the food and drinks.
Plus the actual cost of the timeshare.
This doesn't make any sense at all to me.:ermm:

Absolutely right, it's a total rip off. I thought of selling in my hay days but just didn't have the heart to do it after doing the math and seeing the rip off angle. ;)

Basically you are paying for future holidays cash in advance, still costs a bundle to go on that "paid for holiday" and if or should I say when they go bankrupt you have absolutely nada and the people that hold your money are off buying real land and properties with deeds.;)

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
The Superclubs Breezes Puerto Plata has a lovely group of annoying time share vendors outside the breakfast buffet. You could take a tour with anyone of them on any given day.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Village Caraibe Vacation Club

Mrs. Crawford,
My wife and I have owned timeshare at VCVC, which is located in Fun Royale-Fun Tropicale, in Playa Dorada, for the past 14 years. Seeing as how we return every year, it's needless to say that we love our package. I think the reps work the plaza area in Playa Dorada, but if you are truly interested, I am sure I can get you into the Fun Royale property. Please send a PM if you need/want more info.

SB

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
Have to agree with Sunny about Breezes. These guys are always there and never let you pass without approaching you. First year we attended the pitch and got a free bottle of rum and a cheap Tshirt, we even considered goiing for it. Then reality hit.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
Legit Co?

ARE YOU CRAZY MAN?I HAVE WORKED IN MANY MANY T.SHARE RESORTS AND WYNDHAM VIVA 1 IS NOT BIG AND 2 IS A RIP OFF,I KNOW I WORKED THERE.IF YOUR BUYING ANYTHING DO THE TRIAL PROGRAMME WHICH THEY/ALL HAVE AT THE BACK END OTHERWISE FORGET IT,YOU WILL END UP WITH A HUGE PHONE BILL AND WISH YOU BOOKED THRU LAST MIN OR TRAVEL AGENCY,BUT YES THE TRIALS DO AND CAN WORK AS THEY GET A 2ND BITE AT YOU FOR AN UPGRADE,THATS FROM THE HORSES MOUTH.........

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
Legit Co?

ARE YOU CRAZY MAN?I HAVE WORKED IN MANY MANY T.SHARE RESORTS AND WYNDHAM VIVA, 1 IS NOT BIG AND 2 IS A RIP OFF,I KNOW I WORKED THERE.IF YOUR BUYING ANYTHING DO THE TRIAL PROGRAMME WHICH THEY/ALL HAVE AT THE BACK END OTHERWISE FORGET IT,YOU WILL END UP WITH A HUGE PHONE BILL AND WISH YOU BOOKED THRU LAST MIN OR TRAVEL AGENCY,BUT YES THE TRIALS DO AND CAN WORK AS THEY GET A 2ND BITE AT YOU FOR AN UPGRADE,THATS FROM THE HORSES MOUTH.........

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
AnnaC,
One item you forgot to mention though is the fact that the Domincian timeshares often have RCI or II affiliation. My wife and I have traded weeks of our VCVC timeshare to travel to other locations e.g. Mexico, Florida, Italy, Alaska, Minnesota, etc. Don't automatically blow off a timeshare as being a rip-off. Use your negotiating skills, don't accept the first offer, and be sure of what it is that you want from your timeshare ownership. Re:Mailbook's answer, not everyone can get the "deal of a century" for their vacation. Timeshare does indeed have a valid place for travelers who want to see many locations as well as finding a favorite place to return to.

SB

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Re:Mailbook's answer, not everyone can get the "deal of a century" for their vacation. Timeshare does indeed have a valid place for travelers who want to see many locations as well as finding a favorite place to return to.

SB
I was not referring to any "deal of a century".
If I was and went double occ. it would be make the timeshare look even more ridiculous.

So why don't you show us some numbers and explain how this is such a good deal for you?

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
This is not the forum to go into a sales pitch. Granted some of our Canadian friends can get a good package deal ( or so they say, because when I ask what their package price is, they can't remember). Some might be able to get last minute fire sale deals as well. My point was/is that TS can be a very good deal if you want to trade and go to other locations. Also, the AI fees for ts owners at their resort are usually less expensive for them.

If you don't like TS, don't listen to the pitch. If you are not sure, sit in and make up your own mind.

SB

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
No sales pitch required.:rolleyes:

You assumed I was referring to some extremely rare "deal of a century" so back it up.

All you have to do is explain how the price you pay for the timeshare plus food and drinks and airport transfers comes out to significantly less than the difference in the AI price and flight alone.

For example, let's say the cost of the timeshare works out to $A per week, the food and drinks works out to $B per week, and the airport transfers is $C per week for a total of $D.
The difference between the AI package and flight alone is typically around $E which is significantly greater than $D so the timeshare is a good deal.
Going to other locations makes the equation even more favourable because .....

Your friends claim to get good deals but have no idea what the price was?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.