Name of DR drink

shiam

Oct 15, 2006
Hello, I just returned from Samana. In the hotel they were selling bottles filled with what looked like dried spices, and the name rhymed with Marijuana, but I believe there was a B somewhere in there. The locals add rum and wine to these spices - unfortunately there was no recipe on the back of the bottle - would someone be able to give me the name so I can look up on the internet?
Thank you
Shiam

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
That is a alcoholic drink in the Dominican.

Hello, I just returned from Samana. In the hotel they were selling bottles filled with what looked like dried spices, and the name rhymed with Marijuana, but I believe there was a B somewhere in there. The locals add rum and wine to these spices - unfortunately there was no recipe on the back of the bottle - would someone be able to give me the name so I can look up on the internet?
Thank you
Shiam

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i undertstand from some locals it is an aphrodisiac also. you can make it yourself but customs won't let you take the non-liquid ingredients on the plane. you can buy it, use it and then put more rum in it, let it set and drink some more. i've had some bottles that last almost a year (about 7 refills).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The anal language police are on alert. I believe the herb that does the work is yerba idi, professed to be a sexual enhancer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i undertstand from some locals it is an aphrodisiac also. you can make it yourself but customs won't let you take the non-liquid ingredients on the plane. you can buy it, use it and then put more rum in it, let it set and drink some more. i've had some bottles that last almost a year (about 7 refills).
I'm still working on a 2 year-old bottle, just keep adding Macorix Ginseng rum when half empty and an occasional raisin. Tastes a little like Ouzo, sort of licorice-flavored. I've heard it lasts for years.

kribenza

Jan 2, 2007
The name is Mamajuana, although marijuana will work equally well if not better.

I would disagree about marijuana working better unless you are talking about BC bud.

Is all the marijuana in the dr of low quality?:laugh:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I'm still working on a 2 year-old bottle, just keep adding Macorix Ginseng rum when half empty and an occasional raisin. Tastes a little like Ouzo, sort of licorice-flavored. I've heard it lasts for years.

What's that, Macorix ginseng rum? I've been putting red wine in mine, but it has too much eucalypto or sage, the flavor of that leaf its very strong, maybe I should try that rum you speak of, :ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just add a little miel every once in a while and Barcelo A?ejo works just fine.
I tossed out the red wine after I marinated the toad's testi's and cow chips for a few weeks!
Everybody has a slightly different secret recipe for Mamajuana.

tambo'

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What's that, Macorix ginseng rum? I've been putting red wine in mine, but it has too much eucalypto or sage, the flavor of that leaf its very strong, maybe I should try that rum you speak of, :ermm:
I was told by the seller of my bottle (a non-tourista bottle) that the procedeure was:

-fill it up with red wine and let sit for 2 days

-dump it all out

-refill 3/4 with cheap white rum, swish it around, and dump it all out

-put in several raisins, fill to the top with my good rum (I chose Macorix Ginseng, thought the ginseng was a neat idea), and let sit for 2 weeks before drinking.

-Refill when it gets low. I will refill when 1/3 is left.

So far it is quite interesting and makes a good conversation piece.

There are prolly a bazillion different recipes. Macorix Ginseng is available all over the DR, but I haven't found any in the US.