Sankie the movie....

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Ive been hearing lots about a new movie about sankies. Is it a real movie????? If so, does anyone know where there is a trailer for it?

Thank you

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Ive been hearing lots about a new movie about sankies. Is it a real movie????? If so, does anyone know where there is a trailer for it?

Thank you

Vers le Sud

VER-18.jpg

GENRE: Drama
ACTORS:
Charlotte Rampling
Karen Young
Louise Portal
Lys Ambroise
Menothy Cesar
DIRECTOR: Laurent Cantet
WRITER: Robin Campillo, Laurent Cantet
PRODUCER: Simon Arnal,Caroline Benjo,John Hamilton
DISTRIBUTOR: Celluloid Dreams

On the sun drenched island of Haiti in the '70s, foreigners idle away their vacations in the palm-fringed paradise of the beach hotels. Brenda, Ellen and Sue, three North American women, converge on the island looking for flirtation, relaxation and respite from their colorless jobs and marriages. They find what they are looking for in Legba an enigmatic local adonis whose beauty and passion has them enthralled. It is this passion that will lead them away from the guilded cage of tourism and will open their eyes to the poverty stricken and dangerous world of Haiti at the end of "Baby Doc" Duvalier's notoriously violent regime.
==============================================
Filmed around Las Terrenas, on Playa Coson and Punta Bonita, Samana Peninsula. Some of the extra they are locals and one of them became a celebrity of sorts in Las Terrenas. Movie is not available on DVD legally, but is widely available as a pirated copy. A trailer available here: Trailers for Vers le sud (2005)

WebDev

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It comes out Feb 1 2007 in the DR. Less than a month to go.

Someone posted a song from the movie not too long ago

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Sucks! Let me save you some time.

Vers le Sud

VER-18.jpg

GENRE: Drama
ACTORS:
Charlotte Rampling
Karen Young
Louise Portal
Lys Ambroise
Menothy Cesar
DIRECTOR: Laurent Cantet
WRITER: Robin Campillo, Laurent Cantet
PRODUCER: Simon Arnal,Caroline Benjo,John Hamilton
DISTRIBUTOR: Celluloid Dreams

On the sun drenched island of Haiti in the '70s, foreigners idle away their vacations in the palm-fringed paradise of the beach hotels. Brenda, Ellen and Sue, three North American women, converge on the island looking for flirtation, relaxation and respite from their colorless jobs and marriages. They find what they are looking for in Legba an enigmatic local adonis whose beauty and passion has them enthralled. It is this passion that will lead them away from the guilded cage of tourism and will open their eyes to the poverty stricken and dangerous world of Haiti at the end of "Baby Doc" Duvalier's notoriously violent regime.
==============================================
Filmed around Las Terrenas, on Playa Coson and Punta Bonita, Samana Peninsula. Some of the extra they are locals and one of them became a celebrity of sorts in Las Terrenas. Movie is not available on DVD legally, but is widely available as a pirated copy. A trailer available here: Trailers for Vers le sud (2005)

WebDev
I rented that DVD a couple weeks ago.... crap! I could barely sit through it. It was soooo boring. Beautiful setting, but the plot is pretty skimpy.
Old maid private girl school teacher, frequent visitor, queen bee of the sex tourists, has her sankie, dances merengue, loves paradise, gives him some space, he hooks up with another return guest younger, possessive, they dine in the hotel restaurant together breaking the rules, there is lust, jealousy, they fight, he fights with the old Maid, runs to his beautiful Haitian ex-girlfriend, now lover to the General
they get caught together, executed, naked bodies wash up on the beach.
Old maid wonders if they were doing the deed, chews out the young tourist, lays blame, goes home to the States with tears in her eyes 'cuz she really loved him that beautiful boy.

There you have it.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Sounds funny fo sho until I see my picture in there. ha just kiddin'

Sep 19, 2005
the name of the movie is SANKY PANKY.

it stars a guy who is an actor on a very popular dominican comedy show...I see it all the time at my GFs house..the guy has buck teeth ....he usually does stupid stuff to get laughs instead of more situational actions that make you laugh.

I have seen several different trailers on it....one was at a Aguilas baseball game and they had the trailer on the huge screen in the outfield seats...i took a picture of it.
490cpxx.jpg

bob

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
I saw that movie when I was in the D.R funny as hell...it was sooo good I paid to see it twice...hilarious...the funniest movie I have seen if you can understand it.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
i saw the movie too

Hahahahahahaha....so funny. Sad, but true. It made me laugh through the whole thing. Now, the movie was a not high quality oscar worthy film, but it was down right funny.;)

If you can understand spanish (well Dominican Spanish that is) you must see it. It was not subtitled, so if you do not speak spanish, you will not understand anything except the english that is spoke.

Anyway, I recommend the movie...It was a stupidly hilarious comedy that is worth the 130 pesos!!!!

Daddy_Dom

Feb 4, 2007
It is a good dominican movie, nice production, nice image, nice story... Like say HOLITA it worth 130 pesos and more... I also recommend the movie.

DD.

Daddy_Dom

Feb 4, 2007
Daddy dom, you should write "like Holita said, it's worth...." not, "like say Holita it worth.....!

Thanks MF, I am working wiht my english... Why here isn't a post about learn english for dominicans and forget all this stuff about sankies ? in DR are not only sankies...

DD.:paranoid:

Chinita8

Jan 26, 2007
Sanky Panky!! Just got back from the DR and saw the movie in Mega Center! HILARIOUS!! Totally agree with Holita... Sad, but SO TRUE! If you get a chance to see it... do it!