graphic design

Pyza

Jan 3, 2007
Im just curious if there are any grtaphic design jobs offered in domninican

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No

NOT for people that can't spell or proof read their work. In fact, nowhere on this planet.
Take that-from someone that was in graphic design and printing for longer than you are old.
My next posting is going to be nasty-no more Mr. nine gay.
U gte it?
jhonb

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
how about those of us who ARE almost literate? I have been working for a graphics dept for over 10 years...and my firm even has offices in Santo Domingo...

I did put it out there to my sr mgmnt...that outsourcing to the DR might be a better idea than mumbai (india)...but that fell on deaf ears.

Honestly..i think outsourcing to DR would be a brilliant idea!

#1 it is very easy to get to from the east coast...so it a VP or mgr can realisticaly have "hands on" vs at least a 14 hr flight to india.

#2 when dealing with Customer Service etc...someone with a slight spanish accent is SOOO much easier to understand than someone with an indian accent (not indian bashing...but damn...i have to say that i want to slam the phone down when i get some guy in mumbai on the phone...and who wants to reformat my Hard Drive cuz he is reading from a script)

#3..I am not sure if i am right on this one...but i dont think that latinos/dominicans are so rigid in their thinking and thought process (as the indian people i work with are). Part of the job of working in graphics...is that there IS no exactly CORRECT way to do things (but there are many ways to do something wrong). One has to "think outside of the box" (i hate that term but it applies). For some reason...i just think latino folks are used to thinking outside of the box (for various reasons)...so i think that we are very good for this kind of work.

This is something that i am very interested in...and perhaps we can discuss the practicalities at the party next friday.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
how about those of us who ARE almost literate? I have been working for a graphics dept for over 10 years...and my firm even has offices in Santo Domingo...

I did put it out there to my sr mgmnt...that outsourcing to the DR might be a better idea than mumbai (india)...but that fell on deaf ears.

Honestly..i think outsourcing to DR would be a brilliant idea!

#1 it is very easy to get to from the east coast...so it a VP or mgr can realisticaly have "hands on" vs at least a 14 hr flight to india.

#2 when dealing with Customer Service etc...someone with a slight spanish accent is SOOO much easier to understand than someone with an indian accent (not indian bashing...but damn...i have to say that i want to slam the phone down when i get some guy in mumbai on the phone...and who wants to reformat my Hard Drive cuz he is reading from a script)

#3..I am not sure if i am right on this one...but i dont think that latinos/dominicans are so rigid in their thinking and thought process (as the indian people i work with are). Part of the job of working in graphics...is that there IS no exactly CORRECT way to do things (but there are many ways to do something wrong). One has to "think outside of the box" (i hate that term but it applies). For some reason...i just think latino folks are used to thinking outside of the box (for various reasons)...so i think that we are very good for this kind of work.

This is something that i am very interested in...and perhaps we can discuss the practicalities at the party next friday.
Looking forward to it--but you might be preaching to the choir.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Looking forward to it--but you might be preaching to the choir.

kewl...would really like to talk to someone (or folks) about seriously doing something like this in the future. Unfortunately...my firm is totaly committed to their india project right now....but there MUST be some way to exploit the trend of outsoucing ...if not in the the DR but in some other Carib or Latin country.

oh...#4 (i forgot to mention this in my previous post).....is that the LatAm market is HUGE and Emerging!!!....so a talented bilingual (english/spanish) staff would be soooo marketable!!!

Looking forward to the party on friday!....:surprised

Pyza

Jan 3, 2007
lol

sorry about the spelling mistakes, i thought of this topic typed it; while i was on t3's recovering from my 4 wisdom teeth being pulled and didn't bother reading what i wrote till it was to late.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I warned you

sorry about the spelling mistakes, i thought of this topic typed it; while i was on t3's recovering from my 4 wisdom teeth being pulled and didn't bother reading what i wrote till it was to late.

In my previous post I said no more Mr. Nice Guy. Didn't I? So, what do you go and do? Repeat your spelling sins, don't use caps, mix numerals in sentences where they do not belong, and mix 2 thoughts in one sentence.
Last warning--you come back with more of this and I will report you to ....well, I don't know.

I know only two graphic designers in Santo Domingo. Both are sharp, speak only Spanish, and have a good sense of design. The mother works for a bank and I believe she makes about $100-150 per month. The son is unemployed.

I have spoken to (by phone) to a couple of ex-pats doing graphic design work and I believe they are free-lance. I have absolutely no idea of their income.

john

Pyza

Jan 3, 2007
thanks

That'd be great, I'm just curious about it cause I'm currently studying it at school. Just to see where my options are when I decide to stop teaching.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
If you are lucky and work for an International company you might get a good pay but other agencies will pay around 10,000 - 25,000 pesos per month.

Pyza

Jan 3, 2007
I was just thinking freelance mainly or as another option for pay while in the DR. But I plan to get a job in a firm first then move away from that in time once i get more expose and more experience.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
1 usd is around 33 pesos.

DId you see the other post about the graphic designer postion at ocean world? better jump on it before i do!