Adoption

L

LarrySpencer

I am American and my wife is Dominican. Her sister is unable to take care of her own children and would like us to take custody of one of the children.

What do I need to do for us to be able to adopt the child? We will continue to live here in the DR, and her mother will continue to live in Santiago.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Since you live in the DR, have the child move in with you, then after the child has lived with you for 6 months or more, start the process through a lawyer. You have go through a goverment agency even though this is a family thing. Mr Guzman in the legal forum can give you better advise. It would be my understanding that you want to do the adoption so that in the future you can take them out of country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No easy.

However, in the Dr you can take the child as an "Hijo de crianza" ..you love and care for him or her, educate, medicate and teach the child. You do not adopt it.

We did it for about 7 children and at least two of them hold me as their real father...for the others we are real family....family that solved some of their major problems and saw them through tough times. It is a Dominican thing.

You avoid alienating your own children, a ton of paper work, expenses etc but you get to do the good deed....plus you keep your patrimony intact for your own children...

If you can raise and educate the child(ren), what more can you ask for?

HB

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Private adoptions in the DR are not legal. For a legal adoption, the parents need to abandon the child with CONANI. CONANI then places the child with the parents of their choosing.
I would look into legal guardianship insead.

L

LarrySpencer

Very interesting....I guess I have a lot more investigating to do. Some lawyers have offered their services on this...they are in Dajabon, of course, and I haven't really heard form any "Real" lawyers on this.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Private adoptions in the DR are not legal. For a legal adoption, the parents need to abandon the child with CONANI. CONANI then places the child with the parents of their choosing.
I would look into legal guardianship insead.

Correct! the case has to be brought to the attention of the appropriate authorities, which in this case is the "Juez de Ni?os, Ni?as y Adolescentes" of the jurisdiction. Legal guardianship is called "guarda y custodia", and the judge will listen to all interested parties to determine if a provisional or permanent guardanship is in order. You need to do your homework first. These cases are very discretionary, and all parties need to rehearse a very convincing case for transfering guardianship to a non-relative, before bringing it to the consideration of the court.

L

LarrySpencer

Correct! the case has to be brought to the attention of the appropriate authorities, which in this case is the "Juez de Ni?os, Ni?as y Adolescentes" of the jurisdiction. Legal guardianship is called "guarda y custodia", and the judge will listen to all interested parties to determine if a provisional or permanent guardanship is in order. You need to do your homework first. These cases are very discretionary, and all parties need to rehearse a very convincing case for transfering guardianship to a non-relative, before bringing it to the consideration of the court.

I understand that, but this is a relative. My wife is her aunt. Does this make the process a little more bearable?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Buena suerte.....

Larry, make sure that you do it the "legal way", 100%, even if she is family.

There have been MANY cases, not done the "legal way" that after you get attached to the kid, after raising him/her for a few years, the mother (or father) would take him/her away from you. This was done to 3 people I know in the DR, one being a family member.

Let's wait and see what the Guzmans have to say.

Good luck.

L

LarrySpencer

Larry, make sure that you do it the "legal way", 100%, even if she is family.

There have been MANY cases, not done the "legal way" that after you get attached to the kid, after raising him/her for a few years, the mother (or father) would take him/her away from you. This was done to 3 people I know in the DR, one being a family member.

Let's wait and see what the Guzmans have to say.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for that advice. I fully intend to do that. The family spent Christmas with us in Santo Domingo for a week and they really want for her to stay with us because of the opportunities available, but I had to tell them to take her back to Dajabon until we get everything documented.

We just need to get the right person to help us. Her mother is ready to sign anything that is needed.