What could I do with....

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Heyas,

I'm looking for some generalized information regarding employment in the DR. I'm not planning on making any big move for a while (and IF I do it's not to be with a guy).

Basically my contracts up in several months and I will be moving (my city's economy is too dead and I am too bored to stay...there's nothin to keep me here)...whether I stay in Canada or venture out into the world has yet to be decided. But what I would like to know is what kind of employment I could expect to attain immediately and what kind of employment I could expect say in a few months time..

So here's what I have to offer (I'd be willing to pm my resume to anyone that'd be up to helpin me sort out some realistic expectations):

- Recent Graduate with Honours Bachelor of Commerce Degree majoring in Human Resources Management/Industrial Relations
- Nearly three years working as an Administrative/Facilities Management Assistant (mainly in Education and Manufacturing)
- One year working as a Supervisor in a Call Centre
- Another 2ish years working in telephone sales/contact centres
- Eight years customer/client service experience
- Just over a year of working as Receptionist in a resort and smaller motel
- Took up to intermediate level in Spanish..a bit rusty now but I ended with a grade of 96% and 90% so I know it'd come back to me quick....
- Skilled in the use of MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, FrontPage, Outlook, HTML, Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat, FTP Voyageur, type 73 w.p.m.

Guess thats the jist of it. Again I'm not looking for immediate openings as I still have a few months left of contract but just generalized info. All info of course is much appreciated!

Cheers,
D.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Location, location, location....

I tried to edit that to add location info but the save thingy just kept going round and round lol

Anyways... I'd assume it'd be easiest to adjust in a community that has a large expat population (ie. Sosua) but I also visited Santiago on my last stay and found it to be more industrialized....so I guess I would be pretty much open on the location end of things...

C

Chip00

Cutie

As a gringo and engineer I made the move here to the DR for personal reasons but I am running my business back in Florida. Youn need to realize the job market is "super tight" and there is an enormous amount of competition for a decent job. You Spanish will need to be just fluent at the very least if you plan on interfacing with the locals on a daily basis. Maybe you could land something with an international company or even with your embassy - try to do a web search and see what happens.

Also, there is a growing amount of small companies doing business in the States etc. but using English speaking employees to do the work. I met a Danish fellow this weekend who is working for a recruiter in NY but lives in PP. Unfortunately I didn't get his contact info.

I wish you the best luck - just don't quit your day job until you have something firm.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Somethin I forgot!

What are your financial expectations?

Yeah I guess knowing my money expectations would definately help! lol Sorry!

I'd really just need to be making enough to live comfortably. My student loans will be gone and if I decide to make the move I'll be doing so without any debt. It'd be nice to be able to grow some savings but I know that if I decide to move it'll be more for the experience than for the money...

Not sure if this helps?

Thanks to you both for taking an interest and providing some advice...it's always hard to get a realistic view of things when you're only there for holiday.....

D.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Cutie
Maybe you could land something with an international company or even with your embassy - try to do a web search and see what happens.

I'm just on the Canadian Embassy-Dominican Republic site right now and would you believe they have a link to DR1 on it!? How cool is that! lol Thanks for the advice!

D.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
With your background you could easily get a job in a call center to start. They make around $500 US per month to start. With that you can exist.

THen who knows........

LolitaBrito

Jan 4, 2007
If you find any interesting and/or helpful information please pass the info on to me?!?! (if you don't mind).... I have been looking into living and working in PP area for awhile now, basically for a life change, the experience etc.

LB

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks for the info Planner!

Lolito... I haven't found much info yet on international organizations...but I received an email response from the Canadian Embassy and they said that you must live in the DR to be accepted for local hiring. I posed a question about non-local hiring (ie. being recruited and hired while still in Canada) but have not yet heard a response...

I also found this site, Infoempleos.net , but haven't had a chance to look thru it much yet... I hope posting it is allowed? If not I'm SORRY!

Syncmasterchic

Jan 26, 2007
www.escapeartist.com
its definitely a benefit to have a "sponsor" before you get to far into your job expectations down there. Once you have secured someone to employ you, which is nearly impossible to do, than consider your next step

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
Does anyone know much about residing/ job offers in Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana? Most importantly, is it considered on of the best places to live in DR?