Dominican mashed eggplant recipe

jlnnc

Jan 2, 2007
Does anyone know of a recipe for mashed eggplant that you would spread on toast. My relative from the DR said (after tasting the Mediterranean dish Baba Ghanoush) that they have something like that in the DR. Or at least she ate it in her family. She couldn't recalled what else was in it besides eggplant, garlic & lemon.

Any ideas?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I will get our cook's version of that dish for you. Be a while...

HB

my cook is out on an errand so let me give you my recipe, lol ;)

Lately I've been making eggplant more often since I'm trying to stay away from meat and eat more vegetables.

I large eggplant which sometimes I either boil or roast over flames until somewhat soft. I cut up onions, garlic, peppers, oregano, black pepper and tomatoes and sautee in olive oil (don't forget some salt OR chicken cube), add some tomato sauce if you use tomato paste add a little water to dissolve, I don't wait until these are soft but when still crisp I throw in the eggplant which I cut up into small chunks some people would mash it to a smooth consistency, stir it in and cover for like 5 minutes. Serve with white rice or yuca or boiled platanos or boiled sweet potato, mmmm.
my recipe I don't think you can spread on toast but if you blended the peppers onion etc.and sauteed that in oil and mashed the eggplant really well you would have what you are looking for, most Dominicans mashed their eggplants really smoothly, I don't. Enjoy!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What about?.....

Hey, my beloved mother, RIP, used to make a YUMMYLICIOUS fried berengena that used to be OUT OF THIS WORLD!!.

1- Peal the berengena,
2- Cut in slices
3- Boil it for a few minutes,
4- Take berengena slices out and let it dry for a bit
5- Put flour on a plate,
6- Add milk to the flour,
7- Add eggs to the flour,
8- Add a little olive oil to the flour,
9- Mix it
10- Take each berengena slice and dip it on the flour,
11- Place slices on a hot pan (hot with oil),
12- Turn berengena over after about 1-2 minutes,
13- ENJOY!!!!.

Shyt, I am hungry now, jeje.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You guys should try eggplant parmesan or caponata. No yuck there only yummy ;)

If you want to skip all the calories just brush slices of eggplates with a little oil and broil.

jlnnc

Jan 2, 2007
Mmmm...batatas

Thanks a million guys! I have an eggplant sitting here nervously contemplating his fate, shall he be smashed or fried? :)

I noticed that vinegar was used instead of lemon in the recipe in the link. She uses alot of lemon in her cooking, so maybe that's just her recollection. She washes her meats with lemon juice (well, here it would be called lime juice).

I had totally forgotten about Aunt Clara's website. And what I would give for a sapote shake (batida?). Y bacalao con yuca. When I was in Spain, I toured the ruins of the Roman bacalao and wine making facilities under the old cathedral in the Gothic quarter. If you're ever in Barcelona go to the restaurant around the corner from the city museum called Puerta Plata. It was such a nice break from what I considered boring Catalan food.

OK..off to make lunch..thanks again!!!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Fried it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks a million guys! I have an eggplant sitting here nervously contemplating his fate, shall he be smashed or fried? :)
Fried it and then tell us how good it was.

If ever in Santo Domingo, I can have Mom Elana make you some. She makes a MEAN, MEAN finger licking ones!!.

C

Chip00

Beregena

The way I see the people in the campo do it is the build a fire and put the whole eggplant in it until the outside is burnt to a crisp. Then they peel what's left on the outside and mix it in a bowl with spices and serve it over rice.

I myself won't eat it and put it in the same category as mondongo and habichuela con dulce.

However, a vegetable lasagna with eggplant and squash is another thing alltogether.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's how you prepare eggplant for baba ganoush, as well. It's just different spices. The roasted scorched taste is the best part.

Hmm. I was going to make a brinjal bhaji tomorrow, but now I'm having second thoughts.:lick:

jlnnc

Jan 2, 2007
I fried a bit of it since it was just for me and I roasted the other part. It turned out ok. The fried was definitely better. But I know I am not doing something right because I absolutely LOVE Baba Ghanoush. I should like this stuff too, right?

So it's gandules for dinner..I know I can't screw that up! :)

Thanks for the tips!
JC

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
There's a greek dish with tomato sauce, ground meat with spices and herbs, thin potato slices, and thin eggplant slices layered similar to lasagna ... can't recall the name but, that is good.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Moussaka?

Ratatouille is French: onions, garlic, red peppers, zucchini and eggplant, in tomato sauce. Lots of olive oil and French herbs.

Sep 19, 2005
Moussaka?

Ratatouille is French: onions, garlic, red peppers, zucchini and eggplant, in tomato sauce. Lots of olive oil and French herbs.

sounds like my worst night mare of a meal!!

throw in some salmon, and asparagas and i am commiting suicide at the dinner table....

bob

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Moussaka?

Yep ... that's it. Really good with garlic bread. I like ratatouille with pasta.

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Tahini

I fried a bit of it since it was just for me and I roasted the other part. It turned out ok. The fried was definitely better. But I know I am not doing something right because I absolutely LOVE Baba Ghanoush. I should like this stuff too, right?

So it's gandules for dinner..I know I can't screw that up! :)

Thanks for the tips!
JC
You need to mash the roasted eggplants with lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, garlic, lemon, salt, pepper and a little mint.

You could skip the tahini, lemon and mint, mash with a raw egg while it's still hot and some tumeric add some slightly fried tomato and you would have the Persian Mirza ghasemi. :) with basmati rice of course.

or with Persian flatbread

Last edited: