Showing off or helping out???

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I don't like it

I don't think "giving" in this fashion does anything but set a bad premise that others will be expected to follow.

I see it as more soothing to the giver, than any benefit to the recipients. Not a baseball issue, but another matter all together.

I'd like to hear Julio Franco's reaction to it all.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
David Ortiz needs a PR guy. He looks like a stereotype drug dealer or pimp as he goes about and does good things....sheesh...I'd have shot my boys if they ever dressed like that!! Jose Reyes is another one. all gangsta and no class...but what can you expect? These people are up from nothing and they have all the money in the world...
I would imagine that the total income of the Dominican ballplayers exceeds the total yearly budget of the DR??? (More or less->tongue incheek!

HB)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree Hillbilly. I once dated a MLB player, ex Atlanta Brave. He had no education, no training, all he knows is ball. It was all show as he simply didn't know any better. Once he was washed up as a ball player he had nothing to fall back on, had never invested wisely and is back to having nothing again.

What a shame. There is so much good that could be done. Maybe I should apply as David's PR guy....????

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
1 dollar bills!

He was giving away money, but in Remolacha.net there is a picture of the bills on his hand and the one on top is a 1 dollar bill!

With all the money this people have they could've been doing better than that.

Cheap ssss!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The people who REALLY want to help don't go about giving dollar bills in front of the cameras for everyone to see. They quietly donate to build a school, hospital, etc...This is a reason why Pedro is so well liked in Mano Guayabo...He's done a lot without a lot of fuss and publicity.

What these players should do is use their fame and clout to attract large donations for whatever specific causes they feel worth it. They don't even have to put down their own money.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
David Ortiz

Aye mi madre... have you got him wrong. David is the most genuine, kind, down to earth, family oriented guy you could ever meet. Really he is not what is described here. I know the kind that you are talking about, Ortiz isn't one of them.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Aye mi madre... have you got him wrong. David is the most genuine, kind, down to earth, family oriented guy you could ever meet. Really he is not what is described here. I know the kind that you are talking about, Ortiz isn't one of them.

Amen to that...

It is a fact that David Ortiz has also made many other communities projects and civic donations to his less fortunate compatriotas.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
How did David Ortiz get injected here. He is not the player on the link from my OP, its Julio Franco giving out money and Martinez looking on.