Puente Higuamo

On a scale of 1 to 5 how would you rate the Puente Higuamo?

Votes: 3 25.0%

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This I found in the travel news section:

Higuamo Bridge all ready to go​

The modern new bridge over the Higuamo River in San Pedro de Macoris is finished and awaiting official inauguration by the President, but has not yet been opened to traffic. Public Works Minister Freddy Perez told Listin Diario that he tried to schedule the launch for December, but the event was postponed until later this month. The bridge, some 606 meters long, cost over RD$900 million to complete. It will bring together the Autovia del Este and the San Pedro beltway and greatly ease traffic flow in the area. The opening of the Higuamo Bridge will shave off about 10 minutes for both east and westbound journeys.

The following photos shows the handsome Puente Higuamo a few kilometers north of San Pedro de Macoris.

34108209160d6e443d8osp3.jpg

Source: Clave Digital

screenhunter03jan122040fo9.jpg

Source: SEOPC screensaver (available at Secretar?a de Estado de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones)

POLL QUESTION: ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 5 WITH 1 BEING IMPRESSIVE AND 5 HORRIBLE, HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS NEWEST ADDITION TO THE DOMINICAN INFRASTRUCTURE?

-NALs

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Holy platanos! This may be the most beautiful bridge I've ever seen! Who built it?
Excuse me while I heave a sigh of pride! Aaaaah! my country, my love.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Time savings

I hope this will save me time on my trips from La Romana to the Capital.

Chuckuindy

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
The Caribbean?s largest bridge to open in Dominican East

Santo Domingo.- President Leonel Fernandez will inaugurate tomorrow Friday the bridge across the Higuamo river, in San Pedro province, built by the Public Works Ministry at a cost surpassing RD$1 billion.

The structure?s 626 meter span makes it the longest suspension bridge of the Caribbean, and one of most modern works of that nature in the region.

The ceremony is scheduled for the 5:00 PM and Public Works minister Freddy Perez will deliver the central speech.

It is built to resist hurricane winds of up to 240 KPH.

It?s the Dominican East region?s most imposing road structure and is part of the Eastern Motorway, Perez said in a Presidency?s Press Office