how does this work

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
How can you get your visa in a matter of a few days ? what is the problem with obtaining a visa for someone from the DR to come to the US. Are we just a bunch of control freaks, or just paranoid of getting burnt. I was raised to believe that the USA was "the melting pot" and based on that we should open our arns ( and please no nasty comments here...okay ? and thanks ) and welcome all who want to come. I understand that the goverment cant support the whole world, and I donmt want them to. I just want my friends to be able to enjoy what we have here...just for a few weeks. They arent wanting a hand out of welfare...just a vacation just a visit. but can someone please explain to me why I cant bring a friend here for a visit just as easily as I can go there....and whats the lenght of that process...why so many difficulties.....I understand the basic issues, but the big picture alludes me.....sorry to seem so ignorant, I am not, just have never actually approached the whole process, and seems so exhausting to have a friend enjoy my counrty as I have enjoyed theirs.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Danceaway I've moved your post because your question has nothing to do with visas to the UK. Every country has their own rules about visas and if you don't like the laws of your country I suggest you talk to your politicians.

We've gone through this before with you so I will try and explain the big picture to you AGAIN.

If someone has no good and acceptable reason to return to their country of origin they will not receive a visitor's visa which is what you are asking for.

It's my understanding is that getting to the UK is faster because they don't receive as many applications as the US and Canada.

I hope this helps.

conny

Nov 8, 2006
i dont think it is that easy

How can you get your visa in a matter of a few days ? what is the problem with obtaining a visa for someone from the DR to come to the US. Are we just a bunch of control freaks, or just paranoid of getting burnt. I was raised to believe that the USA was "the melting pot" and based on that we should open our arns ( and please no nasty comments here...okay ? and thanks ) and welcome all who want to come. I understand that the goverment cant support the whole world, and I donmt want them to. I just want my friends to be able to enjoy what we have here...just for a few weeks. They arent wanting a hand out of welfare...just a vacation just a visit. but can someone please explain to me why I cant bring a friend here for a visit just as easily as I can go there....and whats the lenght of that process...why so many difficulties.....I understand the basic issues, but the big picture alludes me.....sorry to seem so ignorant, I am not, just have never actually approached the whole process, and seems so exhausting to have a friend enjoy my counrty as I have enjoyed theirs.

Well, i think that it is not that easy.I dont know anything about the US laws but i just think that maybe people (even if you know them and you say that they are your friends) who just say they want to come for a visit can disappear.And in a country like the US you wont find them again.I understand that it seems to be very unfair but you have to try to understand the government as well.
It is easier to get a visitor`s visa for Germany but i dont know the reason.
Conny

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I think it might just be.............

..............that the average violation rate for Dominican's with a tourist visa is over 80% when the world wide average violation rate for a US tourist visa is only about 3%..............

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
I see that someone has found a statistic for the percentage of "defectors" on visitor's visas who visit the DR from the US as being at 80%. That certainly confirms what I have directly been told by US immigration officials; Dominicans cannot be trusted to return home to the DR at the end of their visa time.

Does anyone know if there is a statistic on the percentage of approved visitors visas to the US from the DR? I am guessing that it would be 1 or 2 percent and not including the "rich and famous" I would imagine less than 1 percent. Anybody know?
It is actually about 1%. I do not have a source for you at the moment, but I know I have seen this in writing several times. If I can dig it up for the bard I will.

The simple fact is that most all Dominicans will not return to their country. Once on US soil they can disappear into the US and still have a much better life than they do in the DR. They don't need to care about being legal.

-Tim