My First Dominican Traffic Ticket

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
I just got my first traffic ticket for not stopping at a red light. (I slowed but did not stop and turned right). When in Rome ...

The AMET officer who pulled me over gave me a green colored ticket and he did not keep my driver's license.

The ticket, of course, had no instructions on it as to what to do with it; nor did it specify a monetary amount for the infraction. The AMET guy told me I could pay the fine (he did not know how much) at Ban Reservas.

I went to Ban Reservas and they told me I could not pay it there.

Then I took the ticket to AMET headquarters in Santo Domingo and I had to pay 50 pesos. They gave me a receipt.

Not bad!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey...me too. I parked behind the Cathedral in Santo Domingo and when I came back found a ticket on my windshield. Just like yours no directions as to what to do next or how much to pay. I left it with my brother to take care of it...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My issue with traffic tickets is not the price of the infraction. It is the damn hassle involved in paying it - time take away from either work or play.

Of course my other issue is the number of tickets handed out to those of us perceived as rich and able to pay them. Instead just slap a once a year tax of 1,000 pesos on me and let me get on with it......LOL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WHOA THERE!

YOu are allowed to turn right at any light inthe DR unless specifically indicated to the contrary...I do not think you have to actually stop, although I'd have to look up the law to be sure.....and I doupt that that the AMET guy has even read the law....

Forgetaboutit...

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Same as US law

WHOA THERE!

YOu are allowed to turn right at any light inthe DR unless specifically indicated to the contrary...I do not think you have to actually stop, although I'd have to look up the law to be sure.....and I doupt that that the AMET guy has even read the law....

Forgetaboutit...

HB

Have to stop, then turn right, can also like in the US, stop, turn left onto a one way street headed left. 99% of the traffic laws are the same as the US.

Sep 19, 2005
Have to stop, then turn right, can also like in the US, stop, turn left onto a one way street headed left. 99% of the traffic laws are the same as the US.

99%of the laws...2% of of the enforcement

a year ago I never saw a police car that even looked like it could do 50 MPH safely, much less a driver who would chase after someone.

now In santiago I see many bigger SUV police vehicles....soooo maybe things are changing

bob

boboross18

Jan 22, 2007
i didn't even get a ticket.. they took my lic and told me to pull over there. lol
ending up talking.. etc.. paid the cop cash.. on my way..
traveling between santo domingo and santiago.. they try to pull you over.. ha!.. i just keep going.. pulling over to the other lane..
love this country

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i didn't even get a ticket.. they took my lic and told me to pull over there. lol
ending up talking.. etc.. paid the cop cash.. on my way..
traveling between santo domingo and santiago.. they try to pull you over.. ha!.. i just keep going.. pulling over to the other lane..
love this country

was the cop you paid cash to AMET?
if yes, that is interesting to know, if no, he saw you coming.

Sep 19, 2005
freaking AMET cop standinf on John F Kennedy in Santo Domingo on a very busy wed afternoon...gave me a no seat belt ticket....Cop walked out into the middle of the intersection( I drove) and wrote me up so i didnt block traffic...but a guy in a new SUV Tourag pulls up just past us and open the drivers door and calls the guy a mamma..#&*(% bo...twice! very load...the cop was totally suprised....Turns out the guy was my buddys brother, but he didnt know it was me getting the ticket...they are jusr sick of the cops giving tickets to rich dominicans and americans only...

I gave him a copy of my NY drivers license, told him i was playing it safe in case someone stole my wallet...he was asking my GF when i was leaving, but luckily I caught on and told her to tell him we were coming back for buisness on friday.....I had a feeling he was going to make me drive to a station or something to mkae sure I paid the ticket....

bob