Nice furnitures around Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
Hi

I'll be in Sosua in two week. I'm gonna live here with my wife and my daughter.

We're looking to furnish our home with nice things but not the most expensive.

The best deal is maybe in Santiago.
I already know "the Sirena" in Santiago but we would like to know if there is more specific furniture shops there ?
We're looking for beds, cloths, towels, tables, chairs, cloths, towels... well everything you need to furnish a home

Thanks for your help

harrydr

On Vacation
Dec 12, 2006
places to buy stuff

I had to do the same thing, and through trial and error, would recommend the following:

Puerta Plata:

Casa Nelson - variety department store, many items
Hidelisa - great place for towels, bathroom items, sheets, nice, but expensive furniture

Gaspar Hernandez:

Pappaterra - appliances, matresses, beds, dining sets, furniture

Santiago:

PriceSmart - large warehouse store, good prices, variety of things
Hache - large department store, furniture, appliances, lights, home items
Ochoa - similar to Home Depot, mostly hardware items, but they do have small appliances, trash cans, closet items, etc.

Sosua:

Playero - supermarket, cleaning supplies, mops, brooms, laundry supplies, dishes, kitchen items

Good luck! If you need more information, just let me know.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
think about having some of your furniture made. There are some great craftsmen here, especially out near Navarete for wicker stuff. PM me if you want to.

Bob K

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
If I give directions, hopefully a local will be able to identify whereI'm talking about!

Heading from Cabarete toward Puerto Plata, go past the sugar plantations. After going past the sugar mill, turn left*. As you head into the little village, the road bares to the left, follow it round. A few hundred yards, on the left, just before the traffic island in the middle of the road, there is a furniture shop. Some really nice furniture in there. They had a dinner table and chairs that were identical to a set in PoP but lower price. They have beds there too.

[edit] Should mention, you can turn before the mill, but picturing in my mind how to get to the shop is more difficult!

C

Chip00

La Sirena is overpriced

Hi

I'll be in Sosua in two week. I'm gonna live here with my wife and my daughter.

We're looking to furnish our home with nice things but not the most expensive.

The best deal is maybe in Santiago.
I already know "the Sirena" in Santiago but we would like to know if there is more specific furniture shops there ?
We're looking for beds, cloths, towels, tables, chairs, cloths, towels... well everything you need to furnish a home

Thanks for your help

Don't waste your time with La Sirena or one of the "brand name" store. The people who but there have too much money to spend.

A good place to buy furniture is a row of stores along the Ave. Mirador de Yaque which is between the bridge and the fortalesa. The have good quality furniture in caoba(mahogany) as well as pine, or oak. Also, most importantly they can be talked down on price. It is where the locals buy in my understanding.

If your Spanish is relativley fluent I'll give you a number of a guy who will take you to these stores and work out a good dea for you.

For example, he found me a refrigerator that cost RD22,000 that he got for me for RD19,000 and I gave him like RD1000. This guy is decent and not a tigre.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Sosua Mimbre & Rattan

Hans Otto Middeldorf is an excellent furniture maker very reasonable prices and fast service 809-571-2960 or 809-223-2190. We highly recommend his shop & his custom work

For domestics items go to Gonzalez near the Cathedral in Puerto Plata.Good prices on twels lamps small appliances & kitchenware

Status
Not open for further replies.