Buyin a cell for text msg. in Juan Dolio

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
I'm staying at the Barcelo Talanquera in Juan Dolio for a couple weeks in February. I would like to stay in touch with some people at home in Canada(mostly the bf LOL) while i'm there and was hoping to used text messaging. Is there a place in Juan Dolio where I can buy a phone? Does anyone know if text messaging will work both to and from Saskatchewan? And of course about how much will it cost? I would take my own cell phone but it won't work there, so this seems like the best thing to do. Thanks for the help everybody.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
US cell phones work here and I text message to UK with no probs. If not you can buy a phone for around 50US$ and pay as you go

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
If I buy a phone there, which is the most reliable carrier for text messaging? Or does it matter. Can cell phones in the DR recieve text messages from Canada or do they have to be sent on the internet?

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I use Centennial, I have sent and receive txt messages to USA, PR, Spain, International Txt from here has the same price than a call, if dont want to talk a lot send a txt message, if dont is better to make a call, from here calls to USA, Canada and PR has the same price to your plan for local calls.

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
So where can I buy a phone in Juan Dollio? Or can I buy one at the airport (SDQ) when we get there?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You need to go to San Pedro de Macoris. In the Jumbo shopping centre you will find Orange, Verizon and Centennial shops. Remember your passport.

matilda

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In the US, text message capabilities depend on carrier.

For example, I am able to send/receive text messages from my Sprint phone to an Orange phone is the DR. I am not able to send/receive test messages to a Verizon phone in the DR.

Before you buy a phone in the DR, you should check to see which carrier (Orange, Verizion, or Centennial) is compatible with your carrier in Canada.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I know thats verizon has some problem with txt msj with Cingular, a friend of mine in PR doesnt receive msj from Verizon, but mins from Centennial there is not problem. antoher thing is that Centennial on weekends discount 50 per cent in all Locals calls, and to USA, PR and Canada.