Citizenship question for children born in the US to Dominican parents

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
My three children were born in the US but we are currently living in DR. My oldest just turned 18 and I would like to apply for Dominican citizenship for them, which I understand is granted on the sole fact of being born to Dominican parents, does anyone know the procedure? Where should I go? Is this better handled by a lawyer or can I do the paperwork myself? Any help will be greatly appreciated since I have been calling the Junta Central Electoral, Immigration and the Cancilleria and all I get is conflicting information.

cuas

May 29, 2006
My story.
I was born to Dominican parents many years ago. 7 of 9 children. My father got us birth certificates as we were born in DR with friend's affidavits. I got my cedula and my Dominican passport. Everything was OK until I travel to my birth place. Because I was still a minor I was allowed to stay but with the condition to correct my place of birth. When back to DR I got angry at my father and in one election where they wanted votes, I apply for a new cedula stating my correct place of birth.
After the election when the Cedula office was filing they found my 2 cedulas, and because I was still a minor they sent my parent a letter asking them to bring me to see the investigator. when we walked in everybody was looking at us. My parents were treated like criminals, telling them only criminal do that and what are we hiding. We were sent to The Junta Central Electoral with a sealed letter to see one of three members to determine if we have to go jail or else. At that time Lic. Danilo Santana and Lic. Domingo Hasbun were 2 of ther 3 members. i forgot the name of the third. They opened the envelope, read it and asked my father why he did that. My father told them, he did it for his 7 children because when he went to la Cancilleria he was told he has to pay an annual fee for his 7 children and no way he can afford it. I told them I got the second cedula because I wanted the second one with the correct place of birth.
they told us they are going to help us because If we were criminals like the letter said we won't use the same information.
Lic. Santana took the case, he studied it and helped us. After my father was told no criminal charges he stopped going to see him, but I continued. Lic. Santana complied all my information and documents. He submitted all the papers. He did it as DOMINICANA POR ORIGEN, I got the decreto and then he send me agency to agency to void the first document and correct the second one.

I came to US as Dominicana por Origen. One of my sister who lives in DR got her new cedula as Dominican por Origen. A few years ago I tried to get my new cedula. I was sent to Interior y Policia there I were told the Junta Central Electoral did not sent a copy of my decreto to them to register or to log it in. I lost my copy in one of the ciclones but if found they told me it is not valid because JCE did it wrong it was supposed to say DOMINICANA POR SANGRE and I have to start all over again. NO WAY.
I went to the cedula dept of the JCE. There I show them the letter the cedula gave me and I told them I had a cedula before why I cannot get my new cedula. I never told them that I went to Interior y Polica. They asked me for proof that one of my parents are born Dominican. What I found was my mother's first passport issued in Ciudad Trujillo. I did not have time to get a copy of my mother's I had a flight to catch. they questioned Ciudad Trujillo, they were young and not familiar with the Dominican history. They took thepassport inside maybe to somebody older and finally the told me they will call me.
A few days later they called. they cleared my impendiment. I hope when i get back i can get my Dominican cedula.
All of this because I hate to pay the 10 dollars and to complete the tourist card after living in DR as Dominican for so many years. I even went to the UASD paying 15 pesos per semester and free bus as Dominican.
Sorry for my long story, learn from my mistakes. First step go to Interior Y Policia and ask for the person incharge of Dominican por origen. He will tell you what to do and you can decide what to do,but you need a decreto.
GOOD LUCK.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A person born of a Dominican father or mother has the right to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1) Obtain birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator here in the DR.

(2) Obtain birth certificate of the applicant?s Dominican parent.

(3) 3 pictures, 2 x 2 inches of the applicant.

(4) Copy of the first 3 pages of the applicant?s passport.

(5) Affidavit prepared by a Dominican Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

(6) Petition to the Minister of Interior with documents described above.

(7) Application and newspaper fees.

The applicant will have to make two trips to the Dominican Republic: the first to file the application (the affidavit before the Notary Public has to be sworn in person) and the second when the process is finalized.

If you don't have the patience and time to deal with the Dominican bureaucracy, I would recommend using an attorney with experience in immigration matters.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Fabio, thanks for your clear and concise response.

Cuas, sorry about your woes with Dominican bureaucracy, I will certainly learn from your mistakes