Quick Question...Jarabacoa

PhillyJames

Jul 6, 2006
If I plan on hiking / swimming and heading to Salto de Jimenoa, etc. what kind of transportation would be necesary? I was going to rent a car, but decided to take a taxi from Santiago. Once in Jarabacoa, will I be able to walk to these places. I do not mind a 30-45 minute walk, but can I maybe grab a taxi to these sites?? Please let me know if you can.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
If I plan on hiking / swimming and heading to Salto de Jimenoa, etc. what kind of transportation would be necesary? I was going to rent a car, but decided to take a taxi from Santiago. Once in Jarabacoa, will I be able to walk to these places. I do not mind a 30-45 minute walk, but can I maybe grab a taxi to these sites?? Please let me know if you can.

No way! Salto de Jimenoa is beyond walking distance from downtown Jarabacoa. I suggest you haggle a good rate with one of the taxi services.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No way! Salto de Jimenoa is beyond walking distance from downtown Jarabacoa. I suggest you haggle a good rate with one of the taxi services.
^^^Mirador and I finally find common ground...;)

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Booked my flight for March and it's our first time going to Jarabacoa / La Vega.
We are looking for a hotel, bus information in either one of these places as well as places to see. I did a search and the info is limited and not up to date.(I know how things change) We rented a car our last 4 visits but I am looking to use buses this time. Any help/ advice/suggestion are/is appreciated.

We plan to stay in Jarabacoa until we feel like moving on down towards Barahona. :bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To phillyJames:Once you are in Jarabacoa, check out the motoconchos, the motorcycle taxis. See what they want to go to the "Salto" at Jimenoa. Then check out the taxis.... It would be a long walk...But if you are a hiker, you could negotiate a fare just to the entrance off the main highway. the one that goes to the Forestry School..(and Hipolito's new 'summer' place). It should be about 45 minutes from there...

To gibbs: Here is a plan
Arrive STI
Taxi into town, to the Parque de los Chach?sis
There you will find the buses to Jarabacoa and La Vega.

ALTERNATIVE:

Call Jay-Jay (Welcome To Paradise Transportation) and have him that you all up to Jarabacoa straight from the airport. Super quick and a wise driver..

Also, if you PM "Dolores" on DR1, she can give you a whole lot of information on things at Jarabacoa. ALSO, a 'search' right here on DR1 should turn up a lot of stuff. Finally, PM 'John Saunders', who lives part time up there and whose wife is from there.
There you go....

HB

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Hillbilly. thanks alot. I found paradise transportation in one of the other threads and that looks like the best option. We are going to be in DR for 3 weeks and are only making plans for the first two days...after that, we'll decide as we go. Again, thanks for the info.:cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good for you. Here is something: There is Caribe Tours bus service from Jarabacoa to Santo Domingo.

If you look up "Palenque" in the search function, I think you might find something you will enjoy doing...just a thought.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
name correction

To phillyJames:
Also, if you PM "Dolores" on DR1, she can give you a whole lot of information on things at Jarabacoa. ALSO, a 'search' right here on DR1 should turn up a lot of stuff. Finally, PM 'John Saunders', who lives part time up there and whose wife is from there.
There you go....

HB

HB

Just though I'd let you know I've been a John before but never called John.

Bob ' Juan " Saunders

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Actually there are two "Salto Jimenoas". It is more common to go to the Salto Jimenoa at the hydroplant but the other one-although more difficult to reach-is by far more interesting.
The best way to get there is to take the road from Jarabacoa to Constanza.
After passing "Pedregal" and after about 10 minutes of driving you should take notice of a sign that says "salto". The property with the access to the fall is fenced but someone is always around to open the gate for you.
The path leading to the waterfall is steep but safe. It takes about 20 minutes to get down and calculate -depending on your physical condition- at least twice the time to get back up to the road again.