FORBES: World's Most Congested Cities

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to Forbes magazine, "the cities with the highest level of population congestion are: Manila, the Philippines; Cairo, Egypt; Lagos, Nigeria; Macau, off the Chinese coast; Seoul, South Korea; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Jakarta, Indonesia; Kaohsiung, Taiwan; and Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic. To drive a car in any of them might be the ultimate challenge."
Source: World's Most Congested Cities

Another section of the report mentions the following:

"Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Population: 2,530,000

Density: 9,516 persons per square kilometer.

The capital of the Dominican Republic is also the largest city in the Caribbean and the oldest city in the Americas. Driving is always chancy, as the rules of the road are to a degree up for grabs. Traffic can be quite dense, and there is a layer of smog over the city. There are regular traffic jams and taking the bus is an alternative, but they have odd, if any, schedules and not too many stops. There is a metro under construction, but it is best not to wait to get on."

World's Most Congested Cities: Slides

Santo Domingo is only one of two Latin American cities (the other being Buenos Aires) with congestion levels that are among the highest in the world. Manila boasts the highest density in the world with 41,014 persons per square kilometer.

-NALs

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sorry I don't believe this for a minute...Anyone who has traveled to other places in the world knows this cannot be right. I can mention several cities just in Latin America which are wayyyy more congested than Santo Domingo (i.e. Mexico city, Caracas, Lima, several cities in Brazil alone, etc...)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
This is an example of dodgy journalism and/or dodgy research. They only use population densty as indicator for traffic congestion....... Even more surprising Santo Domingo s on the list, as it does not have the high rise of Asian cities or the slum concentration of African cities. Plus, it seems they only took one city per country, max. I wouldnt take this list seriously.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Ofcourse, this is ridiculous. that is thrashy, just because it is " Forbes", doesn't mean it is correct. How they hired the idiot that did that article??

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
It can't be!

Where do the following figure on that list? Sao Paulo, Rio, Cali, Bogot?, Los Angeles, Chicago, Montreal, Boston, New York, Miami, Madrid, Paris, London, Moscow, Baghdad, New Delhi, Calcutta, Bombay, Rangoon, Ho Chi Ming city, Hong Kong, Tokyo?????? These are all mega-cities. Much bigger and denser than SD.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Population

I could have sworn that Santo Domingo has just over 3 million people as far as population is concerned. I guess I will google it for clarification.:surprised

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I could have sworn that Santo Domingo has just over 3 million people as far as population is concerned. I guess I will google it for clarification.:surprised
It depends on political technicalities.

For example, the city of Santo Domingo is broken into four municipalities each named Santo Domingo followed by Center, East, North, and West respectively.

Santo Domingo Center is the actual city of Santo Domingo which also is the National District. The other three municipalities form part of the metropolitan area of the capital city.

Santo Domingo proper has a population of over 900,000. That's followed by Santo Domingo East with almost 1 million, Santo Domingo North has over 100,000 and the remainder live in Santo Domingo West.

The metropolitan area of the capital city also spills into San Crist?bal province as well which adds another 500,000 individuals to the count more or less.

All of that adds up from 2.5 million to near 3 million (depends on the actual figures, the figures given above are approximates).

La Habana, on the other hand, is broken in several municipalities as well. However, the entire metro area of La Habana numbers from 2.3 million to 2.5 million, depending on the source.

However, the Santo Domingo metropolitan area has more people than does La Habana or San Juan Puerto Rico (with plus or minus 1.8 million in the metro area and 200,000 to 400,000 in San Juan proper). Also, Port-au-Prince is estimated to have a population hovering the 2 million mark as well. All other cities in the Caribbean or Central America (except Guatemala City which has around 3 million) are cities of 1 million or less, again approximately.

-NALs

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
According to the web page ABOUT, density can be computed for any area-as long as one knows the size of the land area and the population within that area.
The formula is--- total area population/land area in square miles (or square kilometers)

Santo Domingo population --- approx 2,255,000
Size------approx 1,400 km

Do the math. The resulting population density is high.

Population Density

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
It depends on political technicalities.

For example, the city of Santo Domingo is broken into four municipalities each named Santo Domingo followed by Center, East, North, and West respectively.

-NALs

um, that's the province, which does NOT include the National District (i.e. the city of Santo Domingo).

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Interesting link, but the wikipedia list also reveals the problem with measuring this, where is the boundary of a city? New Tork and Paris are divided in many different districts, and are those Chinese cities really that spread-out, or are the metropolitan districts they used for measuring simply very large including large bits of countryside?
BTW, personnally I do not think Santo Domingo gives such a densely populated look. Sure, traffic is hell during rush hour, but the city planning is pretty spread out, with not that much real high-rise, parking lots in front, more like LA than Cairo or Bombay or something.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
According to Forbes magazine, "the cities with the highest level of population congestion are: Manila, the Philippines; Cairo, Egypt; Lagos, Nigeria; Macau, off the Chinese coast; Seoul, South Korea; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Jakarta, Indonesia; Kaohsiung, Taiwan; and Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic. To drive a car in any of them might be the ultimate challenge."
Source: World's Most Congested Cities

Another section of the report mentions the following:

"Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Population: 2,530,000

Density: 9,516 persons per square kilometer.

The capital of the Dominican Republic is also the largest city in the Caribbean and the oldest city in the Americas. Driving is always chancy, as the rules of the road are to a degree up for grabs. Traffic can be quite dense, and there is a layer of smog over the city. There are regular traffic jams and taking the bus is an alternative, but they have odd, if any, schedules and not too many stops. There is a metro under construction, but it is best not to wait to get on."

World's Most Congested Cities: Slides

Santo Domingo is only one of two Latin American cities (the other being Buenos Aires) with congestion levels that are among the highest in the world. Manila boasts the highest density in the world with 41,014 persons per square kilometer.

-NALs

Where did they leave NYC and DC?
or they've never been there during rush Hour?

Aug 19, 2004
"The cities with the highest level of population congestion are" -

Me thinks the editor hasn't checked the text - when they write of "population congestion" they must mean "traffic congestion". Of which Santo Domingo does have a problem - but which could be solved without a costly Metro system.