Reforms?? Hope so...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
With all the corruption and government waste it seems that the new President of the Dominican Electoral Court (JCE) Julio Cesar Castano is trying to do something about this situation. The leadership is cutting back their salaries by 15% in addition those "botellas" or ghost workers will no longer be allowed to be the parasitic elements they are. Hope they stick to these much needed reforms.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=21605

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Scary to see how Leonel's present administration starts to look just like Hippolito's administration...

Feels like Leonel's follower are copying the PPH's model...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
How deep does it go within the JCE? This country never ceases to crack me up?. If the government could in fact retain the monies that are stolen from it on a regular basis then this country could live without hardly any taxes and there would be no need to raise them.

?Give me that gun so I can shoot myself in the other foot!!!?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
if he succeed, he has my vote to be the next president

Before you give him your vote, I suggest reading what this blogger has to say today about the Electoral Council (JCE), titled,

"JCE. Un caso de interpretaci?n y responsabilidad constitucional, frente a la madriguera mafiosa que la domina"

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mirador I wish to thank you for that link as it proved to be very interesting reading. I wish to expand upon it but can?t here as it isn?t thread related so I shall do so in a new thread or in an existing thread concerning history in the DR.

Rick

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
A Hildago:

Every spark of change must begin somewhere, my friend, and it would seem that the present head of the JCE has embraced the model of "STATESMANSHIP" as his guiding light.
This could be the begining of what we all have been hoping for. A complete elimination of the"cronyism", the "botellas", the "nepotism" and the general corruption that has permiated thi Dominican Government for the past 500 years.
I will encourage, sholeheartedly, the begining of such through the efforts of those men andwomen who would place the social, economic andpolitical wellbeing oftheir country above their personal desires for financial gain through employment within the Government.
Moreover, this begining is indicative of the changes that have been gradually surfacing since I first came here in 2000.
While I don't see a complete elimination of corruption andthelike, I am encouraged by this begining. I sincerely hope that the philosophy embodied in these actions will spread throughout the government and into the private sector as well, since it must completely permiate Dominican Society to be completely effective.
So, let us continue to castigate those in all segments of society, government and others, to take note of the "RIGHT WAY" to conduct ones lifestyle in an open and benevolent manner.

The ideals embodied in "Duty, Honor, Country" ARE attainable and we should ALL consider the necessity of pursuing such a GOAL.

I know, UTOPIA is a dream unattainable, but we can get fairly close through constant effort and criticism while we offer viable and operable solutions.

Texas Bill

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
A Hildago:

Every spark of change must begin somewhere, my friend, and it would seem that the present head of the JCE has embraced the model of "STATESMANSHIP" as his guiding light.
This could be the begining of what we all have been hoping for. A complete elimination of the"cronyism", the "botellas", the "nepotism" and the general corruption that has permiated thi Dominican Government for the past 500 years.
I will encourage, sholeheartedly, the begining of such through the efforts of those men andwomen who would place the social, economic andpolitical wellbeing oftheir country above their personal desires for financial gain through employment within the Government.
Moreover, this begining is indicative of the changes that have been gradually surfacing since I first came here in 2000.
While I don't see a complete elimination of corruption andthelike, I am encouraged by this begining. I sincerely hope that the philosophy embodied in these actions will spread throughout the government and into the private sector as well, since it must completely permiate Dominican Society to be completely effective.
So, let us continue to castigate those in all segments of society, government and others, to take note of the "RIGHT WAY" to conduct ones lifestyle in an open and benevolent manner.

The ideals embodied in "Duty, Honor, Country" ARE attainable and we should ALL consider the necessity of pursuing such a GOAL.

I know, UTOPIA is a dream unattainable, but we can get fairly close through constant effort and criticism while we offer viable and operable solutions.

Texas Bill

Can't add more to this, you have explained it very well.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
That which was reported in the DR1 news today concerning the new prices and lack thereof on official public registry papers has got to be a tremendous upbeat for the Dominican populace. Tomorrow morning I'll be spreading the news in my little town because I have a strange feeling about this not properly getting out to the general public.

Rick

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The Central Electoral Board (JCE) is doing something that is quiet revolutionary. Business is NOT as usual here. We should keep and eye out here because finally a government agency that is implementing directives that are guided by two words which are in short supply in the DR, "TRANSPARENCY" and ANTI-CORRUPTION". The board so far should be commended and supported in its initial comportment.

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service

C

Chip00

Ya no pa'tras

Man, I've only been here a year and it looks like they might already be onto some big time changes that will finally allow them to jettison some of the "dead weight" and take the next step p'lante.

Man do we need more people to step up to the plate and do the right thing for the people instead of their pocket. Heck, even if they don't succeed I think it will show the "parasites" that the writing is on the wall and that they should be looking for a real job or maybe hittin the road pa'nuevai york.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
From this article it is apparent that the change is slowly moving forward. I must also admit that the numbers present in this article and the previous one, both are related, kind of scares me if you add these ?Dominicans? into the equation of legal and illegal Haitians in this country.

I also noticed changes being administered in other vital sectors of the government as indicated here.

This too was interesting. Being the strange person that I am I had a vision of the S?ndico standing up there in front of those 115 soon to be released employees, (botellas?), giving a farewell speech which went something like this;

? OK listen up. I know that a lot of my cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters, oh yes you too mom and dad, are upset that we will have to let you go. The reason we are forced to do this is because that idiot in the capitol is getting upset about where all the funds seem to be going and is investigating. Jos?, I know this will make things difficult but look on the bright side, you can now have the time to enroll back in school and maybe learn how to read. If a lot of you were to learn to read and write it would make my job easier if and when I can re-hire you. What? Yes I know, it will be tough for you out there and yes I know you will be forced to live like all your neighbors but what can I do? Get serious Manuel you know I?m paying 5 mortgages both here and in the US plus I have 62 employees that I have to pay so I can?t very well support all of you on the small income I get. Of course we might be able to work something out with the 5 ONG?s I have but you know the government is trying to cut those also. Where?s my secretary, I need to make a statement for the media about how the president is increasing poverty in this country.?

Last edited:
C

Chip00

I also noticed changes being administered in other vital sectors of the government as indicated here.

I think the link is bad as it is talking about some guy getting fired.

Also, I think you once told me that you didn't understand much Spanish but I think you must have been being modest with me because I had to pull out the dictionary to read the article in order to understand it.

Also, you don't sound so positive that the gov't is going to be able to remove this "cancerous boil" which for me is depressing. Hey you've been here a whole lot longer and know how things work. I've been positive because I haven't been "learned" yet.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chip the link is good. The Dominican Supreme Court has in fact fired a judge from one of the most criminally infected judicial areas in the DR. Seeing judges getting fired for misconduct is not a normal procedure here.

Modest? I've learned to say a couple of words but can read more then I can speak.

As the government is so new in the procedure of surgery then I must sit back and wait to see if the boil is lanced, removed or implanted in another area.

Rick