Renting a car in Santiago

bobytanmalo28

Jan 14, 2007
Renting a car in D.R. is more expensive than in the states. Could anyone give me some rental companies that wont drain my pockets..I plan to rent a car for a week this April...are there any helpful websites, persons in D.R., or agencies I can search through..I would like a mid-size car to full size and any help would be appreciated...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd suggest a small SUV for the poor roads and terrain.

I've rent from Adventurecar in both PoP and Santiago for several years and am always pleased with their prices and service.

Sep 19, 2005
well I have rented suvs every trip and i dont think 4 wheel drive is really needed....what you want are the largest diameter tires you can egt on a car...so the problem will be , the cheap cars usually have small tires...thus the more pronounced the "fall" into the large potholes.....i just rented this past week, and went through four cars...I rented a suzuki Gran Vitari the first 3 dyas, then when wanted to go to the beach with a group of 8 oothers , I traded it in for a Mitsubishi Montero Limited....what a huge different one the potholes on my GFs road...big big difference!!!

if you saty o the main roads and go slow when you see the road isnt bad...you can rent a small car....the problem i see...is the cheap rental places have poorly maintained cars....lights dont work...ac doesnt work, radio might not work....wipers suck, ect ect......I really dont care where you go....the prices will not be american "cheap" thats for sure....i rented the suzuki for $50 a day...but you have to pay cash in thwe end to keep it...this trip i just left the bill on my credit card.. and they charged my another 26% freaking percent, in taxes!!! 16 itbis and 10 in airport taxes...

then they charge you in pesos, and ther bank hits you for the conversion , plus they dont offer a good rate...so you bleeed heavily by paying with a credit card at the airport

good luck

bob

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A serious helpful suggestion:

Find out the exact model car you will be renting.

Take a pair of new windshield wipers for the car in your luggage. Have them installed by the rental company before driving the car.

You're welcome.

:D

Sep 19, 2005
A serious helpful suggestion:

Find out the exact model car you will be renting.

Take a pair of new windshield wipers for the car in your luggage. Have them installed by the rental company before driving the car.

You're welcome.

:D

VERY excellent advise

I have bought 2 pairs( not nearly enough) so far and have told myself to remember to buy a pair next time and remove them when I return the vehicle, to have for the next rental....but i keep forgetting

bob

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
i rented the suzuki for $50 a day...but you have to pay cash in thwe end to keep it...this trip i just left the bill on my credit card.. and they charged my another 26% freaking percent, in taxes!!! 16 itbis and 10 in airport taxes...

then they charge you in pesos, and ther bank hits you for the conversion , plus they dont offer a good rate...so you bleeed heavily by paying with a credit card at the airport

bob

Hey Bob, are you saying that I should use my CC to rent but when I return the car I should settle in cash (DR pesos) to avoid these surcharges?

Also, I rented a car in La Romana last time I was there and was getting hit with huge "insurance" charges and only took me about 45 minutes of explaining that my card would take care of insuring it so avoided I those charges. Do you also decline insurance coverage?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2005
well this is a slippery slope.....you want to protect yourself, and have confidence you are not heading down the path to a nightmare...so having a CC that will cover you rental car for damages liable to you is good peace of mind...but it is a tough pill to swallow to pay and extra 26-28% for that peace of mind. The kicker here for me, is that rental car company wont offer me the insurance that is needed to protect me for damages below 60,000 pesos....they say "Just use your CC"......I think that most of the rental car companies would love for you to pay in US dollars.....mine always wants the dollars.
I use a credit card that has less than 1,000 of available credit on it when i rent.....because I dont trust most dominican companies....

it was explained to me this past week, that the way the CC insurance works.is this.........if there are damages, they are taken out on the credit card and charged to me....then it is up to me to get a refund from the CC companies "because they insured me".....where is the leverage to make sure the rental car companies does due diligence to make sure the claims are mde to prove who is liable, and hwo makes sure the bill is a real estimate.....I dont want to fight with my CC company...i want the rental car company to do that....

the nicest way is to use your credit card, and if nothign happens when it is time to pay,m use cash, and get your CC slip back and tear it up...

it is aconfidence level thing.....choose your level of comfort and pay for it.

good luck

other rental car companies may very well be easier to work with , safer , and more legit....I know they are out there....finding them may be the ultimate task...

bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Budget has reasonable rates from STI. You can book on the internet or call in the States.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Car Rental at STI

I frequently use Alamo at SDQ (13x) and have used Alamo at STI (1x.) I find Alamo's service to be reliable, consistent, and professional.

My credit card covers my insurance (I believe the deductible is US$1,000); however, I usually get windshield/tire insurance (US$3/day.)

-Helpmann :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I use my AMEX when I rent a car for insurance purposes, should something bad happen. I then pay in cash, and usually get a substantial discount.

On the few occasions where my car got pranged (almost unavoidable if you go to the DR often enough), I had it repaired to excellent levels for a fraction, maybe 1/5, of what the rental car company might have charged.

Become a good customer of one company. One that appreciates repeat business (I know, I know, it's the DR and such thinking is rare; but the one I use is the exception, as they DO appreciate repeat business and it shows). Once you become "family" you may get some extra perks or discounts, not to mention extra attention should you require it.