Do i need return ticket to enter ??

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Hello again folks,

Sorry to be a pest, but does anybody know if i can enter the country without a return airline ticket ??? ( im from the UK)

regards Lorrayne

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Dominican Immigration does not check however some airlines, especially American Airlines but probably others too, will make you buy a return ticket before allowing you on the flight, unless you have Dominican residency.

kirkland1222

Mar 9, 2005
I had to buy a return ticket at the airport flying from JFK the last time I went down.
I guess that only Dominican citizens are allowed one way tickets.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Not having recent experience with other countries other than the US I can't comment on them. The US State Department doesn't care where its citizens go with some exceptions, exactly when then will return or which mode of transportation they use to get there. Any requirement to purchase a round trip ticket is the workings of the company that provides the service. The reason a Dominican passport holder doesn't need to purchase a round trip ticket out of the US is because those transportation service providers can't dictate the return of a foreign citizen into the US.

Rick

C

Chip00

One way tickets - no problem

We flew down last Feb. from Orlando FL with one way tickets and none of us had a problem. My wife is Dominican but me and our two daughters are American and we flew with American Airlines.

I thought about buying two way tickets to save money but when I went to the AA website I found one way tickets were a lot cheaper.

I would recommend finding an airlines that won't give you any grief about it - you should be able to call there customer service and I'm sure they will fill you in.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Last Time I Returned Fro Boston To SD,I Was FORCED By AA To Buy A Return Ticket!!

After about 20 minutes of "Pleading My Case" to supervisor after supervisor, I bought a new ticket from Boston to SD,to Puerto Rico and kept the Boston to SD for another trip.
Soooooooooooooo. I said; "Make that a First Class ticket from Boston to SD please"
The upgrade plus the ticket to Puerto Rico cost over $1000 US!!!! I put that on my American Airlines credit card. That was over a year ago. I will NEVER pay that bill!:p :p :p :)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Another option may be to buy a fully refundable return ticket and once you arrive cancel the flight and they'll refund your money.

Last edited:

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
AA TRIED to make me buy a return ticket to the US (I'm a US citizen living in the DR) and I refused and threw my "Not on your life, you can't make me do that" routine. The friend who was at JFK with me was also a cop and he said "Remind me not to **** you off." I basically had to stand at the check in counter and argue that the DR NEVER checks. That was back in Aug and Sept of 2006. When five of us went back and forth in Dec 06 and Jan 07, we had no such difficulties but that was on Delta. My dh goes back and forth regularly but always has tx within the "required" time period. I think AA is trying to enforce a law that does exist but that the DR doesn't care about. You CAN get around it. We did have a UK friend who WAS forced to buy a $1000 tx in order to be allowed to transfer threw a US airport. That sounds fishy to me.

GringaBachatera

Sep 26, 2003
I had to buy a return ticket for the 1st time flying Delta from JFK in Jan 07. THis is after years of traveling at least 2ce a year from and to SDQ w/o return tix. The Delta ticket person said her computer wouldn't let me check in for my return flight (I was on the last leg of a round trip from SDQ, where I live) until I bought a return ticket within the legal window, which is 30 days, down from 3 months a while ago. I just bought a full fare tic and got it refunded here at Delta. Annoying, but it turned out to me a minor issue. AA threatened the same thing once, but I had a letter from my job and they didn't hassle me. I think the airline enforcement of this rule is a bit arbitrary, and it's true, Dominican migraci?n couldn't care less (although it's their law).

Lorrayne

Jan 21, 2007
Thanks

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question.

I can buy a 1 way ticket here in the UK so thanks for saving me a load of cash.

Feb 7, 2007
make a COPA reservation

What I always do is I make a COPA reservation which I print out, COPA allows you to make a reservation online and hold it for up to 3 days.

So I always make a COPA AIR reservation flying out of SDQ to some place within the 30 days of entry, and have it printed out for both airline and immigration.

In any case, airline cannot really check whether the ticket is issued or not, because they don't have access to COPA system and COPA has no office in Europe. Immigartion does not care... anyhow, the reservation is ONWARD (the stipulation says you ought to have a return OR onward ticket...)

so far this worked for me..