How much can I bring back to the US

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Can someone please tell me how much Rum, coffee, and vanilla I will be permitted to bring back to the US? Many thanks!

A

apostropheman

i think that technically you are allowed 40 ounces of booze but there should be no limit on the rest, other than what will fit in your suitcase and the weight restrictions of your airline.:cheeky:
Can someone please tell me how much Rum, coffee, and vanilla I will be permitted to bring back to the US? Many thanks!

A

apostropheman

on the practical side i usually bring multiple bottles of rum and cartons of cigs back. i declare it all and have never been refused or had and any confiscated. i don't try and hide it. I'm Canadian, we have similar rules but different enforcement.:bunny:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
In the US you are permitted to bring back 2 L. of duty free spirits BUT at least 1 L. must be manufactured in a list of Caribbean Basin countries (the DR is on the list so just make sure at least 1 L. is Dominican). You may bring more, declare it and pay the import duty.
\
Gregg

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks guys! There will be Extra Vejeo on my table for a few weeks atleast! :bunny:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I might add....

I believe it was planner that mentioned this - pack the bottles very well as they tend to break easily!

I was standing in line at customs one time, and all of a sudden the place just wreaked (sp?) of rum, the person 2 up from me had put his carry on down rather hard and broke not one, but two botttles of Brugal! Man, was he upset! LOL

Marlie

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
OH MY GOD!!! NOT THE BRUGAL!!! LOL. There's an old joke about a wino who fell and broke the bottle of wine in his back pocket. When he felt the liquid oozing onto his pants he exclaimed: "Oh God, let it be blood!" LOL.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be extra careful!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I just pay a few Pesos more and buy my booze after the security checkpoint and carry it on.
I am not going to risk a bottle breaking in my luggage.

tambo'

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You are allowed to buy and board with anything bought in "The Sterile" area.
This is the case in the USA as well as in RD airports.

DUTY FREE is open.

tamborista