Items taken from room

family guy

Jan 24, 2007
Just back from our first visit to the DR and Punta Cana Area. Service overall was very good but for the first time in over 12 years of traveling to islands we had money and a camera stolen from our room.

Has anyone else encoutered this in this area or is this an island habit?

Thanks,

Family guy

family guy

Jan 24, 2007
From the room proper insde my belt pounch and my carry on bag. Both these were closed. All remaining big money was placed in the room safe with jewelry. It was a mistake on my part but surprising non the less.

Thanks,

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Just back from our first visit to the DR and Punta Cana Area. Service overall was very good but for the first time in over 12 years of traveling to islands we had money and a camera stolen from our room.

Has anyone else encoutered this in this area or is this an island habit?

Thanks,

Family guy

I also had a camera stolen from my room, noticed after leaving the hotel (from a prestigious hotel chain). As soon as I got back home, I called the manager, but he didn't seem very cooperative. So I called the regional manager. I got my camera back a few days later, via FedEx.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
From the room proper insde my belt pounch and my carry on bag. Both these were closed. All remaining big money was placed in the room safe with jewelry. It was a mistake on my part but surprising non the less.

Thanks,
Lest someone misunderstand why I asked the question...

I have noticed many of the chamber maids in many resorts are quite lax about security whilst cleaning the rooms. I personally doubt that a chamber maid would be the culprit as they are just too easy a choice to make but they often block open a number of doors in an area and then disappear inside the rooms one at a time leaving the other rooms open for the picking by either another employee or even a guest. When I see this behavior (I watch for it on day one) I am more diligent than ever watching what I leave out in our room.

If it was from the safe either it had to be an "inside job" or the guest left the safe open (which does happen) as once again the chamber maid would almost assuredly not have access by her own devices.

Gregg

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i once had my medication (pills) stolen. dumb on my part to think that pills would not get stolen. maybe they thought they could sell them or something. the next morning the security guard said he saw pill bottles in the pool. turned out it was a chica that stayed overnight in my room.

the power of cuba libre's !!!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I hate hearing things like this happen to people. Because of this I bought a nice lock for my carry on and I put everything of great value in there when leaving the room. This I know is only a deterrent to the thief. Would have to work harder to get to the goods. I've never rented the safe.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Weird. I stayed in a number of resorts while I was there with no lock on our belongings and never had an item stolen. Sometimes in a rush we would even leave our bags open and still, nothing ever got stolen

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Sorry to hear that. I myself have never had a problem and I do put all my important stuff in the safe, documents, money, camera, video camera. I'm just always worried the day I don't something will happen to me. But that's just how I am. I've been lucky I guess, never had anything stolen so far on any trips.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i always put my more expensive items among dirty clothes stuck in a plastic bag. never had anyone digging in my sweaty shirts, not to mention other garments...

caromoq

Jun 15, 2006
my husband and I were on vacation at a resort in Puerto Plata. One day walking back to our room, we accidentally stopped at one room down from ours and what do you know, our room key opened another room's locked door! Is this a surprise to anyone else?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Turn it into a positive

Had a cell phone taken from my room. Posted all of this about a year ago. In summary I pushed it to the limits including insisting I go to the police station (Juan Dolio). Then sat face to face with the hotel manager and said you're going to have a BIG problem when I get back to NY and broadcast this.
Results--free 3 nights at the C---l Hotel.
Haven't used it yet as I really hate the place.

john

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
Texas theft

Hotel I stayed in while on vacation in Texas left all the rooms wide open to clean.......jewels and cosmetics gone.....Canadian money left behind.....go figure. We are still duking it out with the major hotel chain........

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i may be bias when i say this but it's normally not the women housekeepers i suspect. this is solely based on their responsibility for thier kids and the lack of a steady income from the males. whenever i see a male woker hanging around my room while it is being cleaned i stick around until they are finished. as a precaution i usually leave me camera or other electronics in a bag or knapsack when i go out of the hotel so they don't see what i own...

paranoia ??

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
www.brothersandsistersonline.com
Theft in hotel rooms

Something I've tried over the years (and worked thus far.....knock on wood) is ALWAYS placing/leaving the do not disturb sign on the door. Of course I still lock important items in the safe, but there "should be" no reason why a housekeeper should enter my room. They "should" think someone is in the room when the sign is there. Of course when you are seen entering or exiting the room the housekeepers may ask do you need service and I kindly reply no. As for new towels, I simply bring them outside in the morning and exchange for new ones while they're making rounds. And I only change my bed sheets once a week at home, so I don't have a need to look for new sheets daily from housekeeping at a hotel....not that they change sheets everyday anyway. By the way, there is a hotel I frequent in Santiago and it seems that one housekeeper has gotten to remember I stay there frequently and it seems almost a good thing for her (with nearly 20 rooms to maintain in a day) to have one less room to clean. She jokes about me not needing service, but smiles when I tell her "Hey less work for you".....and I still leave a nice tip..............It's the little things that matter most!!!