Sosa HOF?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The following appeared in todays DR1 Travel News:

Dominicans to Cooperstown​
Former San Francisco Giants pitcher Juan Marichal expects to be accompanied by several countrymen in the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame soon. He said that it "will rain Dominicans," as reported in Saturday's Listin Diario. Marichal has been the only Dominican in the hall since 1983, after a successful 16-year career in the Major Leagues during which he won 243 games. Marichal predicts that the next member will be Sammy Sosa, if the latter decides to stop playing in the Major Leagues. To qualify, players need to have been retired for at least five years. Otherwise, he says Sosa has the numbers - 588 home runs and 1,575 runs batted in. Other future Dominican candidates include Pedro Martinez, Vladimir Guerrero, David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez.

Considering Mark Mcgwire only received 24% of the votes (I think you need 75% to be elected), does anyone think Sammy will make it to the HOF?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
if Sammy gets over 600 home runs (which seems to be the target for HOF) he may get in. of course Sammy had the cork bat and some steroid allegations also but not like Mark McGuire.

"raining" dominicans may be putting the cart before the horse. those guys mentioned are good and definitely on their way to the HOF but most of them are far from putting up numbers reflective of HOF.

we'll see....

May 12, 2005
Sosa HOF? No. Has 500 hrs but never the dominate player of his era. 1 dimensional player, no defense. Pujols, Ramirez, A-Rod, Vlad yes. Ortiz, same problem as Sosa, but maybe 5 more years of monster numbers can help.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Sosa used to be a great runner (base stealer), and a good outfield in his early-to-mid days in the Mayors.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Sammy is a bust!

The following appeared in todays DR1 Travel News:

Considering Mark Mcgwire only received 24% of the votes (I think you need 75% to be elected), does anyone think Sammy will make it to the HOF?

Sosa upon his mysterious departure, has not convinced sports writers of his innocents of steroids allegations, his rep for being a bad teammate does not help, he quits on teams if upset! and of course his corked bat... his number sunk to 9% of approval for the hall, and 73% opposed, another 20% unsure basically Sammy will not be the next Dominican to enter the hall, such a small list, with so many playing in the majors and minors...I look to see Pujols as the next legitimate candidate...

Sep 19, 2005
the steriods are speculation...they have to be unless proved to be true... the corked bat was real life ...he is labled a cheater....I dont see him getting in for many years after, if at all....what happens to mark macguire will be a guage for sammy....he has to do much better.

bob

Say it ain't so!

Sammy in the HOF - not on your life, or hopefully not in my lifetime I should say. Do we have proof that he used steroids? - nope, at least not yet, but is everyone suspicious of him like they are of Mark McGwire and others? - yep. Of course let's not forget the corked bat. I live in NY State - Cooperstown to be exact, and San Pedro de Macoris, too. I had plenty of dealings with the Sammy Sosa Foundation, when it was in existence. Suffice it to say that the Foundation's reputation was much like Sammy's when he was playing ball.

From the players listed in the original post, it's my opinion that the next Dominican to enter the HOF will be Pedro Martinez. I believe that others such as Albert Pujols, etc will be elected to the Hall, but he and others will still be playing after Pedro has retired.

C

Chip00

Unjustice

First of all in my opinion it will be an injustice big time if Macguire or Sosa doesn't get in the HOF. I think some believe it's already a foregone conclusion that the Macguire cause is a lost one. Being an ex fan of Macguire I personally feel like his lawyer ought to be drawn and quartered at Time Square, but then I realize Macguire is a big boy and makes his own decisions.

I mean come on fellas - how was baseball after the strike? I know a lot of EX baseball fans that still are not interested in the game. Sure people will tell you that the game is bigger that the individuals and I have one word - Babe!

The fact is the matter Sammy didn't put his foot in his mouth like Mark did and he never was as big as Mark either. As far as the corked bat incident that ws bad but I believe what he said - that it was a practice bat used for hitting home runs for the fans before the games. Sammy loves the game and the fans a helluva lot more that a whole lot of other players. I'll give you a good example, I remember talking to an older feller who went to a Yankees game back in the era of Lou Gehrig and he told me he hopped on the dugout right after a game and asked Lou Gherig for an autograph and Lou tells him to get the fu*k off of the dugout! The fellow wasn't even 10 at the time - how about that for love of the game and appreciation of the fans who make it all possible!

Again, I personally think it will be a crying shame if one of these guys doesn't get into the HOF. Since it looks like the Macguire cause is a lost one - not unless he decides to "come clean" like the Yankees 1st baseman and he asks for mercy from the public - which still might happen. Personally I think the "home run derby year" was really special in all of the years of baseball and some say it saved baseball. Who knows because all that is an afterthought thanks to Sammy and Macquire. I'm still waiting for another Big Mac to come along and hit those 550' moonshots out of the ballpark!

C

Chip00

Despiertese!

What does that prove other that we all know that Sammy's English downright stinks and that he got scared - big deal! In fact that lowlife reporter would have just as much luck getting the baseball commisioner to do one. That guy was a real as*hole. It's a shame a jerk like Reilly could throw this shadow of doubt on Sammy by insisting that he do a test that nobody else in the majors would do either.

Everybody talks about Sammy's decline in numbers - two words - age and injury! Guess who's numbers went like this:

Ave HR RBI
341 41 137
301 34 103
288 22 84
181 6 12

none other than the Babe! The problem with our american culture is that we are turning into a bunch of armchair judges just waiting to slam a guilty verdict on anybody that "appears" guilty - Give me a break!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Everybody talks about Sammy's decline in numbers - two words - age and injury! Guess who's numbers went like this:

Ave HR RBI
341 41 137
301 34 103
288 22 84
181 6 12

none other than the Babe! The problem with our american culture is that we are turning into a bunch of armchair judges just waiting to slam a guilty verdict on anybody that "appears" guilty - Give me a break!
Not to judge Sammy, but Babe was 40 when he played his last game in 1935; Sammy was 36 when he last played in 2005.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The stats in question are not the declining one's but the ascending one's. McGwire's voting results are a good predictor of Sosa's chances.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
McGwire's voting results are a good predictor of Sosa's chances.
I think you're right. It's going to be interesting to see if his percentage of first place votes goes up or down next year. Some have said it was so low because many of the voters wanted to make a statement.

C

Chip00

Not to judge Sammy, but Babe was 40 when he played his last game in 1935; Sammy was 36 when he last played in 2005.

But how many other baseball players have retired at 36 or younger - a lot!

stlauctionhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Pujols

I think there are several Dominicans on there way, 1 for sure is Albert Pujols. If anyone is interested in owning some of his extremely rare collectibles please view my web site at OMNI Home

stlauctionhouse

Feb 13, 2007
SOSA HOF doubt it

Sosa has a LOT of work to do and needs a huge that, that I don't think will happen, in order to make the hall. But good luck to him