El Candil has been sold!!!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I am soooo upset!

Just heard from Petteri...and there will be new "administration" on 2/10!

I am not sure if i want to stay there without the staff that has made me feel at home over the years!

besides costalunga...where else do people recommend?

I have always liked Candil for the personal service, (including personal airport pickup)...a phone in the room...and the general feeling of being personaly welcome.

sigh..i just dont know what to do now....was supposed to book and confirm everything this weekend for the 22 of feb

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Hey JJ. I'd like to seriously suggest that you take the opportunity to visit the north coast; maybe go out with Kim and visit the whales. Spend a few days in BC, hook up with someone you really like, and take them with you. The night life in Samana and nearby Las Terranas ain't BC, but the beaches and snorkling are to die for, and you'll have a great new experience. It would only cost you the 4 hour bus ride on Caribe Tours, which is awesome, btw, and about 250 pesos. I'm heading there in three weeks, after I spend a couple days in the capitol, and I can't wait! :bunny:

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
What Happened?

I am soooo upset!

Just heard from Petteri...and there will be new "administration" on 2/10!
They did they say who bought the place and why they were packing up? Also, are they packing it up for good (back to Italy and Germany) or just out of the Boca Chica hotel business?

-Helpmann :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Thanks Ron for the advise. I really would love to check out the north coast. etc.

There are a couple of reason why i like B.C. One being that i have established non sankie friends that i like to see when i go there. Unfortunately they cant afford to take the time off from work for such an adventure. i do have one buddy that might be able to do such a trip....but i have lost his friggen number!!! arggg!! (and i used calling cards to call...so there is no record). Just hoping to find him when i go back.

Helpmann. All he said that the new owners are italians. Maria has left and Sandy is not sure if he will be working there. Petteri & Guissepi are moving to santo domingo and will be in contact with some other "tourist related business". After my personal email from him...i recieved a general email from them.

They are just soooooooooo cool!!!! I am heartbroken by this news. I always felt like i was back home when i stayed there. I just hope the new owners keep it as nice. (still dont know if i will stay there...and i think i am thinking of postponing my trip till i figure out what to do)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
yes indeed. i only stayed at el candil once and it was great. i will miss those guys at the el candil...

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
Thanks for the news - although it is sad. Maria is great! (I wonder if the construction of the new parking garage drove them away :tired: :squareeye ..)

Might have to try El Neptune near the Hamaca next time. Our room at El Caucho was SMALL.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I emailed two days ago trying to book for Feb 9th and I've had no response. Given this situation is it time to try somebody else? Would phoning be better? Does the desk speak english?

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
i think i would try somewhere else...since the transition is happening on the 10th...i am sure it could be kinda crazy

if you call..call in the early after noon...as sandy who works the front desk at night only speaks spanish

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
Well My husband and myself have booked for the El Candil from Feb 19 - Mar 7th. We have been to Boca Chica for the last 10 yrs and this will be our first time staying at this hotel. As we have never met the owners only had phone conversations and emails. I really don't know what to expect but oh well were going in 16 days. I will give gladly give our opinions of the new establishment after our return. We were kinda sad because of this board we made this choice for our stay at this hotel. OH well mucho brugal and cervazas will be in order!!

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
I certainly wasnt condeming the new owners.

I worked restuarant and hotels for years...and i know that transitioning from one owner to another can be quite challenging. (so i am sure the first week or so there might be some difficulties.)

I certainly wish the new owners all the best luck. I just think i will delay my trip a week or two till i hear some news.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Try thinking before you post, there is really no need to steer potential guests away from a hotel unless you have a reason. What is the worst that might happen at Candil, they forget to give you an extra face towel?

You did a pretty good job bashing Costalunga for no reason. You are messing with people's livlihood.

I have never had a bad experience in either hotel.

tambo'

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
i have NEVER bashed costalunga! mario is awesome....i just happen to prefer candil in the past. Stating a preference is not bashing.

as far as staying at a hotel durring a transitional weekend...i stated my preference not to do so...as it MIGHT be chaotic.

Hopefully the new owners will keep the staff....and things will hum along smoothly. I am also sure they are going to be eager to accommodate as they are coming in fresh.

also..folks here bash boca chica in general all the time..whats the difference?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
if you always eat out and don't require linen changes every day, i would think that would be about all you see in changes. i would not think you'd see the swimmimg pool or your room fall apart in such a short period of time.

maybe less people at the massage parlor across the street ???

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Massage Parlor? Is that what that was? I thought the girls were friendly! They would wave at me as I sat on my second floor balcony enjoying the breeze and my afternoon Presidentes.......how'd I miss that?

Folks, enjoy El Candil, it'll be fine. I looked at other hotels while I was there. There's not much difference in any of them unless you stay at an AI. Like most things in life, it's the people that make a difference.

While I'm here, anyone know Fiol (Fior Daliza Rodriguez) from BC, she was a hostess at the Canadian eatery near Hamaca....buena hente con una buen corazon.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
yes the girls across the street are friendly, but not pushy. i use to sit across the street and talk with them almost every day, no massage though.

they don't really bother el candil clients unless you want to be bothered (they always speak to single men at el candil)....