Independence Day Parades at El Monumento

halwiki

Jan 28, 2007
I'll be in Sosua overlapping Independence Day and I understand the parades at El Monumento in Santiago are well worth the trip. I'm thinking about taking the Caribe Tours bus from Sosua the morning of the 26th.

Can someone give me an idea of where the monument is relative to the Caribe terminal at Maimon and 27 de Febrero? What would a cab be from there to the monument? (I realize not knowing where the monument is invokes notions of maps and flashlights.:cheeky: )

Last but not least, are the parades in fact worth the trip?

Sep 19, 2005
well its not worth the walk....too many turns... and you dont want to walk on Estrella Sadhalla over to route one...I am thinking there arent any sidewalks....but I have not traveled that way much....a cab would be about 200 pesos....

but if you are up for a 45 minute walk...maybe 30 minutes....just walk down ave 27( if you are standing at the end of Maimon and Ave 27 is right IN FRONT of you..go left

walk all the way down to Sabana Larga...and turn lefy walk over to Las Carreras. turn UPHILL and walk until you see the monument on your right.

if you wanted to try and save a LITTLE time at any road on your left while walking down Ave 27..you could take one of those lefts and walk up to Ave Juan Pablo Duarte and then head on down duatre until you hit las carreras, and then make that uphill walk from a little closer.....Ave 27 isnt an interesting walk if you ask me...not like las Carreras would be. Or any of the roads in the old section of the city( centro historico)

after you find the monument, and after the parade...you can walk down into the historical area later...and then always take a cab back to the bus terminal

good luck

bob

halwiki

Jan 28, 2007
I really appreciate the response. Sounds like I'll take a taxi to El Monumento, but I'm interested in your comments about centro historico.

I used to travel extensively for a living, and found you understand nothing about a strange city until you've spent some time walking around with a map.

I have a map which indicates Parte Alta (Las Carreras, Restauracion, El Sol) - is this the centro historico you refer to?

What other routes would you recommend?

Sep 19, 2005
you are close..its Del Sol....those three roads plus a few south of Del Sol, represent Santiagos. historical district, but there is way more to the city than whats in this area....I am not sure of all the special placesto see i that area, I know it is loaded with shops....I think there is a cigar museum..

get ahold of a ROUGH GUIDE to the DR and look up Santiago....it will tell you special intrest spots in town...or PM HILLBILLY about places to see if you have time

bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Two Carribe Tours offices in Santiago

The directions given are from the "NEW" Carribe Tours, which is the SECOND one when coming from Sosua. But since you have elected to take a taxi, it's okay.

If you come in on the day of the parade, it may be difficult to get across Las Carreras as it will be blocked for vehicle traffic in most places. The new one is much closer to downtown.

I have walked from the city to Carribe Tours (New One) many times, it's a nice walk with sidewalks. The monument is hard to miss from the city. The parade begins near the monument and goes down Las Carreras.

Laurapasinifan:
and you dont want to walk on Estrella Sadhalla over to route one...

If you get to Estrella Sadhalla, you went the wrong way.....

Don-SantiagoR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Monday is Parade date?

...after you find the monument, and after the parade...you can walk down into the historical area later...and then always take a cab back to the bus terminal good luck bob

The parade/party lasts until late at night, not a good time to visit downtown historical areas.

(...at least it was late the last time I did the parade thing, and a Sunday to boot).

halwiki, You said the 26th, is the Parade on MONDAY this year?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don makes a good point...

Take the bus to the SECOND Caribe Tours bus station, called Los Jardines.

Tell a cab driver to take you to Las Carreras (part of the parade route, I think) and Juan Pablo Duarte. (If youare travelling light you can walk it -->just walk up the street of the bus station -MAIMON-turn right and follow your nose to Las Carreras. It's about a mile and a quarter. There ARE sidewalks. Up the hill at Las Carreras (the second light heading into town from MAIMON Street) is the monument.

Any taxi ride in Santiago is RD$100, unless you are crossing the bridge or going to the extreme outer edges of the city.

Tell any taxi driver by the bus station that it is RD$100 so he doesn't try and "gringo price" you.

Have fun..

HB

C

Chip00

Also, you might try picking up a "carro public" from the corner of Maimon and Ave. Juan Pablo Duarte. If they haven't closed Las Carrerras take make sure that you cross it before you get out - if not take it as far as you can.

Also, see attached map of Santiago that should help you - look for the a white number two in a black square and you'll see Maimon st. next to it. also, the maps can be zoomed in and downloaded.

map_santiago_low on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

halwiki

Jan 28, 2007
The parade/party lasts until late at night, not a good time to visit downtown historical areas.

(...at least it was late the last time I did the parade thing, and a Sunday to boot).

halwiki, You said the 26th, is the Parade on MONDAY this year?
I've lost track of where I read the parade was Monday this year - Sunday sounds more likely. I sure hope I get this sorted out.