Sky Dive Samana (from DR1 Travel News)

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Sky Dive Samana
Exotic Sky Adventures is promoting its two-week skydiving packages for a week in Samana. The event is being held at the Portillo Beach Resort, now under Bahia Principe management, to take advantage of the adjacent airstrip. The Dominican Air Force is cooperating and providing aircraft from which the skydivers will jump. Some 40 international skydivers are expected to color the sky above Samana with their parachutes over an eight-day period. The general public is invited to make a Tandem Skydive while the operation is on. This is an introduction to freefall, where no experience is required. A professional skydiving instructor will take novices for an unforgettable experience jumping out of an aircraft at 13,000 feet, falling at 180 km/hr and landing softly after a five-minute flight under the parachute. The cost for a tandem skydive is US$300.
For more information, write to Karina Willerup at k.willerup@planet.nl

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
A tandem jump for US$300. Ouch, but I understand why it has to be that much. Almost makes me wish I would have gone after my tandem certification. I have 700+ jumps, but sold all my gear last year. *sigh*

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
300 bucks is a lot but i will readily pay if they only provide an info on who can do the tandem jump...
i wanted to do bungee jump in london and i was told my short sight (pretty severe) is a no-no. apparently the sudden stop and pull at the end of the jump may cause retina to detach from the eye (result is blindness, which i think is not permanent, depending on the damage done).
is it also the case then parachuting?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i just checked - no skydiving allowed.....
or diving, which i have done and i had no idea...