Are computer imports tax free?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
I would like to bring 3 computers/screens to the DR from NY.Are these items tax excempt?If so does anyone know the law/code # to be prepared to inform customs that there is no duty(if in fact this is true)?
Thanks

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
They used to be but now they are not, cannot recall when they ceased to be tax free but it has been around a year.

If you can convince Customs that your computer screens are worth less than 200 each then they may not charge you anything.

Good luck.

darmecinco

Dec 3, 2003
I recently flew into Santiago from Miami. Five customs officials took great interest in my computer. They said I needed to pay taxes but as it was Saturday, the computer would need to stay with them and I could return monday to pay the tax. The five customs officials told me there was no customs officials there. I refused. I told them I would stay with the computer and would sleep on the floor if neccessary. The group huddled in the corner and a whispered conversation took place.

I was informed they would 'help' me. I could pay my 'tax' now and go. The tax was US$200. We discussed the level of help for over half an hour. Finally, disgusted, I placed the US$200 under a cardboard box as instructed and left.

You learn many things in the DR. One of them you learn at the airport before you even clear customs. Your teachers are government officials who are representives of the Dominican people. The lesson you learn is don't invest or do business in the DR.

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I have seen many travelers place there computer equipment in thier carry-ons and walk right past custom officials with out paying anything. In fact, I often carry my laptap with me and I have never had a problem.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
As long as you have a R/T you should not have had a problem...Sounds like you looked like an easy target..At Las americas Airport I have come through with Military gear and was never bothered..A laptop was never a problem.
Several might have caused a problem..But you are permitted to carry a laptop..

Put $200.00 under a cardboard box?????? Did you really do that.???

Excuse me but that is one of the funniest things I heard all week......