Herbal Malaria Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontocouple

Jan 20, 2007
Since there has been a recent upgrade of caution to tourists traveling to the DR, the DR has recently named a "high risk country" for tourists to contract Malaria. (see National Post, January 30, 2007: A1).
Current drugs for the prevention of malaria have harmful side affects such as blurred vision, increased heart rate, vomiting, headaches and are very strong antibiodics, which should be used with extreme caution. I suggest herbal remedies, which are just as effective, minus the harmful side affects.

To all of you who are interested in herbal remedies for preventing malaria, i suggest taking the following herbs before and during your trip, to boost your immune system, thus reducing your chances of malaria:
Artemisia Annua and sweet wormwood, also proteolytic enzymes. The parasites that enter your body, via mosquitos, can be sucessfully warded off if these herbs are taken daily before and during travel.

DEET is a common way most people ward off mosquitos, but NOT healthy for your skin, as it is a harsh chemical. I suggest using an herbal mosquito repellant with catnip oil, or nepetalactone. In general, mosquitos will be more attracted to your skin if you have a diet of high sugar, so obviosuly limit your sugar intake before/during travel.
Also, Wear long sleeved clothing at night. I hope this information will be useful to those travellers who want to protect themselves from malaria the natural way.
happy travelling!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Since there has been a recent upgrade of caution to tourists traveling to the DR, the DR has recently named a "high risk country" for tourists to contract Malaria. (see National Post, January 30, 2007: A1).

How/where is National Post to be seen? The UK Government hasn't changed its advice from that which it has advocated for a long time now.

Travel Advice by Country*Foreign & Commonwealth Office

They do mention the North East area but the North coast is still low risk as far as I can tell.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... I suggest herbal remedies, which are just as effective, minus the harmful side affects. ...

The best prophylatic or preventive medicine against malaria is maintaining a fixed level of blood alcohol in the system, say with cane-sugar rum, beer, or any other spirits made from herbal ingredients such as corn, wheat, barkey, rice, grapes, etc. It is a scientific fact that the malaria parasite cannot flourish in such high alcohol environment. Side effects? we all know how to deal with those. The other day, all my neighbors came down with malaria, and guess who was malaria free? Well, yours truly! My prescription: for starters, one bloody marry with breakfast; then one or two beers before lunch; wine with lunch; the evening dosis can be a coctail drink, o whaterver strikes your fancy...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To all of you who are interested in herbal remedies for preventing malaria, i suggest taking the following herbs before and during your trip, to boost your immune system, thus reducing your chances of malaria:
Artemisia Annua and sweet wormwood, also proteolytic enzymes. The parasites that enter your body, via mosquitos, can be sucessfully warded off if these herbs are taken daily before and during travel.
Not that we have had any Malaria around here, but your information could be really useful to those in need.
The conventional Malaria pills are so darn harmful to your system, it's nice to know there's another and better alternative.
Thanks.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of water. And the name of the star is called wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters because they were made bitter." Revelation 8:11

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
Any thing has to be better than the side effects I had from Malaria prophilacsis a couple of years ago. Came home neck to knee in hives....good news was ya could not see the mosquitoe bites and I did not get Malaria.

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
I've always attributed it to what u eat. Be carful, there are no preservatives compared to what we get abroad. Bottled water and staying away from swamps always helps. Never been sick in the DR. Then again Mirador's recipe sounds pretty good too.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Lambada,
Lambada, Lambada...Lambada, Lambad.
Was popular in Brazil in the early '90's.
The music was from the alta planos of Bolivia.
Escuhe la flauta.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mirador's alcohol preventative was the one relied on by expedition leaders on Trans Sahara & West African trips. ...QUOTE]

Just wanted to add that the Malaria vector, the Anopheles mosquito, has diurnal habits, that is, it only bites between the hours of dawn and dusk. So you guys at the AI resorts it is best to include a good rubbing with deet repellent, and also be sure to ask for a genuine blood mary for breakfast, not one made from a commercial mix. Also, demand a double dose of angostura bitters in the drink. Angostura bitters is a traditional ingredient of bloody mary, and originally it was used as a anti-malarial medicine, since its main ingredient is quinine. Also, vodka and tonic water is a good refreshing anti-malarial drink, since tonic water has a good dosis of quinine...

Status
Not open for further replies.