First trip scheduled to Santiago, thinking of cancelling

Matthew10797

Jan 31, 2007
I have recently done some research for my trip I may be taking from Feb 26 until March 7th to Santiago. I had no idea when I agreed to go with my friend (who has been several times before) what I was getting myself into. I am considering going to Haco Beach in Costa Rica instead of DR. I just found out today actually about the nightlife closing at midnight during the week. I mean, are they trying to keep vacationers away from the cities?: How dangerous is Santiago really for "gringos" such as myself?? I am six feet tall , bright blueeyes, blond hair and about as pale as humans can be, and I'm wondering how much of a target I am there for criminals or is much of what I am reading false?? I want to travel somewhere different and exciting to party and have fun, but I don't feel like being bribed, mugged, or feel like I might be in danger. Are there places in Santiago to party past midnight? Thanks for any suggestions or help on making the decision for this vacation.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have recently done some research for my trip I may be taking from Feb 26 until March 7th to Santiago. I had no idea when I agreed to go with my friend (who has been several times before) what I was getting myself into. I am considering going to Haco Beach in Costa Rica instead of DR.
It may suit you better.
Personally, if I were you taking a winter vacation, I would rather go to a beach town than a big city in the interior, such as Santiago.
I just found out today actually about the nightlife closing at midnight during the week. I mean, are they trying to keep vacationers away from the cities?:
I'm sure that's a redundant question. The government, in it's infinite wisdom, felt it would be a good idea to close drinking establishments earlier at night, to help curb crime.
The tourist towns in the coastal areas, often have special exemptions, allowing them to close a bit later. Santiago is not a tourist city!
How dangerous is Santiago really for "gringos" such as myself?? I am six feet tall , bright blueeyes, blond hair and about as pale as humans can be, and I'm wondering how much of a target I am there for criminals or is much of what I am reading false??
I would say that it is safer than most other travel destinations. It really depends on you.
Do stupid stuff and put yourself at risk, and you will become a target. Use your common sense and all should be fine.
I want to travel somewhere different and exciting to party and have fun, but I don't feel like being bribed, mugged, or feel like I might be in danger.
Bribed? Don't know what you meant.
Anyhow, nobody wants to be in danger while on vacation or at any other time.
Santiago could hardly be called a dangerous place, nor would the DR as a country.
Are there places in Santiago to party past midnight?
Maybe you could send a PM to AZB and ask him.