selling on ebay from the d.r.?

newyorkcityboy

Feb 2, 2007
is it worth it? is there anyone out there doing it from the d.r? the reason why i ask is that i come across a lot of closeouts on garments. please any info would help.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Shipping cost will be a deal breaker. $24US shipping for a $12 item is no bargain.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
what are closeouts? I found when I tried to buy items on Ebay they wouldnt ship to the DR

Silly Billy Barbara - make sure they know it is being sent to X-Mail or Business Mail in Miami & you will have NO problem!! Tell them when you put your bid in & all will go through smoothly!

Newyorkcityboy,
Are you meaning BUYING from e-Bay or (as you state) SELLING on e-Bay? I BUY things from the states & have them shipped to Miami - I just put a bid in to allow for the heavy shipping costs (to Miami PLUS X-Mail costs to Puerto Plata). If it is still worth it I buy, if not I don't!

If you DO mean selling, just make sure you do a deal with X-Mail or Business Mail to ensure you get favourable shipping rates you can pass on to your buying clients! As Jumbo says, paying US $24.00 for a low cost item is just not worth it to your prospective clients & they will not buy! China & Homg Komg just got screwed by me for just this reason - cheaper to buy a slightly more expensive item from the US because it had lower shipping costs!

Hope this clarifies things for you ~ Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ladybird, I buy stuff on eBay and have no difficulty. The important thing is to make sure that your profile includes a US address. If you show only a DR address, most of your bids will be rejected because the sellers have not listed the DR as an address they will ship to. If you aren't certain what I am suggesting that you do, send me a PM and I will send you specifics.

It is also a good idea to have an account with PayPal to make the payments. PayPal is owned by eBay and is the easiest means of paying for items bought on eBay.

For shipping to and from the DR, Banker-Trust charges US$3.50/pound. My experience with them so far is excellent. Our Experience

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
As posters said, you can buy on e-bay without problems.

But, if your question is selling on e-bay from the DR, here is how you do it. E-bay now has e-bay stores that will handle your goods for you. It never needs to hit the shores of the Dominican Republic, except when you ship it out. So, you find the e-bay store that wants to handle your goods, for a percentage of course. Then, you ship from the DR a container load, to your 'store' at best shipping prices.

(Make sure that you have your information well researched. And of course, you need to visit your 'store' and have your ducks in a row! This is like another business, don't enter into it, if you've not done your homework. It takes time and money to set this up and it takes time, focus and money to make it work. Certain items have trouble with getting into North America - Don't try this with avocados for instance :ermm:).

Now you can go ahead and sell on e-bay and ship from the location of your 'store' at usual US shipping rates.

So, there you go! Let me add, you need to have a US side business presence established.