Moving to England!

AZUA

Oct 30, 2004
HI Eveyone.

When I was in college, I studied abroad in England and I loved it. Since then I have gone back to visit friends. I am thinking of moving there.

I wanted to know from you, what is it like living there and being Dominican? What is the Dominican experience in England?

I am an attorney and I need to do research as to what I would do there...for work. How is the job market? Is it very difficult for foreigners?

Anyway, I don't want to bombard you with questions. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Aug 19, 2004
Pleased you like England (I assume the one in Europe) - I know several Dominicans here and would say the main issues are qualifications and language.

If you want to work in this field you may have problems as British law is different to that practised in the Dominican Republic + the professional bodies have strict requirements and you may need to retake exams etc..

The jobs market is quite good in England and you should be able to find work though you may need to be flexible.

To get started you will need plenty of mony - as you are probably aware rents and the cost of living is not cheap in England.

Which areas were you considering?

AZUA

Oct 30, 2004
I am planning on moving to Bristol. Then I will probably relocate to London.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would advice you to do a thorough research on the subject. there is lots of opportunities in england but law is hardly an international profession as it differs so much from country to country.
you'd need to take loads of money too, i am talking about few thousand pounds to pay the rent, deposits and other costs before you start working.
probably you'd have to settle first for a job as a waiter/cleaner and start some free experience work in a lawyers office, not to mention some time in college before you can work in your profession.
i know it is hard to stomach but this is how people start unless they have more universal degree...

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... you'd need to take loads of money too, i am talking about few thousand pounds to pay the rent, deposits and other costs before you start working....
Not fair .... poor expats go to the DR and live better than Dominicans while Dominicans emigrating to UK have to start at the bottom .... there should be a trading system to exchange immigrants. dv8, can they find a Dominican to take your place in the UK? ;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Silly question AZUA, but have got a multi-entry visa to UK or spoken to the British Consulate (Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata) to see if they will grant you a visa? Normally to obtain such a visa you have to already have a job contract or be going on a holiday or as a student.

As Dv8 mentioned, living expenses are a lot higher in the UK so make sure you have ?8,000 or more saved up before you plan going. My recollection of my last trip there is that it is difficult to survive on less than ?1,000 per month - that is a LOT of waitering hours & relying on GOOD 'tippers' too!!

What age are you? What friends/contacts do you already have there? Have you enquired as to how much rooms are to rent yet & if so, how much?

I wish you good luck but feel this might be a pipe dream until you get yourself a job contract first!! ~ Grahame

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well....

Not fair .... poor expats go to the DR and live better than Dominicans while Dominicans emigrating to UK have to start at the bottom .... there should be a trading system to exchange immigrants. dv8, can they find a Dominican to take your place in the UK? ;)

years at the uni and then you start as a waiter/cleaner... bit of a shock... plus dominicans need a work permit too...

dominican taking my place? my boss had no idea dominican republic even existed before i decided to quit the job to come here. if said dominican is a virgin and ready to marry him it can be arranged. but he is small, bald and rather dentally challenged. at request i can pass his number thou...

i hear that canada now has a program "hire an immigrant" with very smartly done ads? maybe they should do same in england?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, she'd have nice life, you know... no work and no worries.
some duties of sexual nature of course but mostly ironing and nodding to whatever his mother says - even there no problemo, she has been in england for 30 years and speaks no english whatsoever...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he's a persian jew, actually. but in his dental care he is very british, yes...

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
'Hire an imigrant'...theres plenty of places here that advertise for that. Just look at your nearest call centre for all those people who have no idea how to use the English language.

I wouldn't recommend moving here to the UK for anything!! Why would you want to live in a country that has no future with the way the Government is going. Good luck if you live in London....terrorism is a new way of life in this country since that great decision to go to war.....
I'm not even going to mention the cold weather, the ludacris house prices and cost of living!!

But hey, if you have already made your mind up, then good luck to you. You will need lots of money, contacts for a job and a place at University to get the right qualifications to work here, which now costs ?3000 a year!!!!!! Oh, don't forget the woolly jumpers too!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
3000 pounds a year if you are a british citizen, or at least from EU. if not, triple that.
call centres, don't even say anything, i used to call PC world (computer shop) few times a week when we had problems with our computer, being transferred to india every time, no english, no idea about computers.
but i do know success stories of foreigners who are having a good life in the uk.
but this requires almost total assimilation, forget your own country - be a part of an english crowd. don't think dominicans can do it...
i make no sense, comida dominicana hit again, i have been sick all night and all day....

Aug 19, 2004
"but this requires almost total assimilation, forget your own country - be a part of an english crowd. don't think dominicans can do it..."

- the statement above could be true of anywhere - likewise anybody moving to the DR should try and integrate with the local community rather than stay within some bitchy/gossipy expat community. "Don't think dominicans can do it..." - why not?

Obivously getting a work visa is a major issue and I wish you luck but comments such as "I wouldn't recommend moving here to the UK for anything!!" should be ignored - there are endless opportunities here.