Best Way to get to Santo Domingo

wackyD

Feb 5, 2007
Hello. I'll be arriving in Casa de Campo later this month and would like to travel to Santo Domingo for the day. Can anyone recommend the best way to get in and out of Santo Domingo quickly so I don't miss the ship's departure?

Many thanks,
wackyD

wackyD

Feb 5, 2007
Getting to Santo Domingo

I'm taking a cruise, but would rather not give details. They have canned bus tours, but there are places I'd like to go that aren't on the itinerary. So, I'm looking for a taxi or guide service.

wackyD

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm taking a cruise, but would rather not give details. They have canned bus tours, but there are places I'd like to go that aren't on the itinerary. So, I'm looking for a taxi or guide service.

wackyD
How much time will you be at the port of call?

Santo Domingo is a good 2 hours, at most 3 hours away from La Romana (depends how fast one goes, although after San Pedro de Macoris things speeds up quickly).

If you have sufficient time for a round trip drive to and from Santo Domingo and at least 3 hours to see the historic sites at a brisk pace, then go ahead and visit the city. If, however, you have any doubts of the feasibility of such sidetrip while on shore, then focus on visiting other attractions near La Romana itself. La Romana is close to some interesting attractions, some natural and others man-made, but all are interesting.

-NALs

wackyD

Feb 5, 2007
More on Getting to SD

NALs--I'll be in port for 7 hours and have 2-3 places I specifically want to see. None are historic sites. I have been reconsidering the trip to all the way to Santo Domingo. What is your favorite cafe or restaurant in La Romana? I'm a writer and would love to go someplace where expatriots hang out.

Hillbilly--Thanks. I'm starting to get that impression. Sound advice.

wackyD