Please Help w/Boyfriend's Residency

flores22

Feb 6, 2007
Hi All,

First Off, I Am New To These Forums And Am Requesting Quite A Bit Of Help/advice. Sorry Ahead Of Time If There Are Already Threads Started On This Specific Question.

Ok, I Am A Us Citizen Born In The United States. I Have A Boyfriend Who Is Not Legally Here In The United States. We Have Future Plans Of Getting Married, But First I Am Finishing Off My Career First.

My Question Is, Which Is The Best Way To Go About Getting My Boyfriend Legal Status Here In The Us, To Eventually Become "eligible" To Apply For Citizenship?

Would Marriage Be The Safest Or Fasterst Method In My Case? If So How Would It Have To Occur? He Is Obviously Unable To Go Back To Dr. Would Getting Married here In The Us Be An Efficient Way Of Doing Things?

Please Help! I Am Really Clueless On The Topic. Id Also Like To Add That He Is 27 Years Old (if This Matters Any) And Has No Immediate Family Here In The Us. I Would Appreciate As Much Of Your Advice And Help On This Matter, As This Is A, Inconvinient Situation For Both Of Us. :(

Thank You So Much!!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Oh my God...I have just spent most of my day saying 'you must start each sentence with a capital letter, not every word' and then I saw this thread....argh! Maybe it's not just 6 year olds that struggle with that concept!

I presume your boyfriend is Dominican?

Planning to get married is an inconvenient situation for you?????

You are finishing off your career first????? You planning to retire then?

He is unable to go back to DR and is not in the US legally??? Sounds like a great catch!!!

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Please find a decent lawyer. Why are you asking advise about your future from abunch of strangers?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Click here Visa Home

If you have no clue where to start hire an immigration lawyer but even if you marry him he might have to go back till his call comes( not 100% sure on that) this can be answered by a US immigraton lawyer.

Last edited:

flores22

Feb 6, 2007
Oh my God...I have just spent most of my day saying 'you must start each sentence with a capital letter, not every word' and then I saw this thread....argh! Maybe it's not just 6 year olds that struggle with that concept!

I presume your boyfriend is Dominican?

Planning to get married is an inconvenient situation for you?????

You are finishing off your career first????? You planning to retire then?

He is unable to go back to DR and is not in the US legally??? Sounds like a great catch!!!

Again for the second time (mentioned this to another member) I PRESSED A BUTTON TO MAKE THE LETTERS BOLD AND THEN THE AUTOMATIC CAPITALIZATION OF LETTERS WAS MADE!!! But were your comments really necessary???

The rest of your comments are senseless so I will refrain from further comment. I will say though that I came here askinf for advice/help, and not to receive sarcasm or unpleasant comments. But hey, I guess all message boards are not immune to 'your type'. Thanks a lot.

Because I you have shown me you are unable to write constructive replies, I will refrain from further engagement from you. So no reply is needed because it will go unanswered. Have a nice day! :squareeye

flores22

Feb 6, 2007
Please find a decent lawyer. Why are you asking advise about your future from abunch of strangers?

Because I am researching. Thought Id try here and hoped someone can offer me their advice/help.

Also, the fact that I am asking ''a bunch of strangers" does not bother me as I still have (as well as they do) a certain level of anonimity that I am comfortable with.

Thanks for your suggestion though

flores22

Feb 6, 2007
Thank You!

Click here Visa Home

If you have no clue where to start hire an immigration lawyer but even if you marry him he might have to go back till his call comes( not 100% sure on that) this can be answered by a US immigraton lawyer.

Thank you so so much! You have given me the best advice thus far! Appreciate it so much!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Little reminder that this is the visa section of the legal forum so let's stick to answering questions about visas or any other info we have on the country asked for.

Thanks

Last edited:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Would Marriage Be The Safest Or Fasterst Method In My Case? If So How Would It Have To Occur? He Is Obviously Unable To Go Back To Dr. Would Getting Married here In The Us Be An Efficient Way Of Doing Things?
He most cerainly can and probably should go back to the DR and wait out the process. Even if he does that, he will most surely need a 601 waiver for them to even consider his case. Just because he marries you does not automatically make him OK to stay here. He could try to adjust status here in the states but he runs a real good risk of being sent back anyway since he came here illegally. If he had entered the country legally without intention to marry you and he did get married, he would have a good chance at adjusting status.

Whatever he does, he will need a GOOD immigration lawyer, preferably one who is familiar with the DR (and there doesn't seem to be many of those). It will more than likely be expensive also.

-Tim