Help Please re El Limon from local experts!

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
Hi Mountainfrog and all you other know alots. Just wondered if you could help me in deciding which parada to go with. I gather from what I have read they all basically guide you with buros or horses but I wondered if one was a shorter ride. Have heard it is quite dangerous and steep and my husband broke his heel and hip a few years back. I wanted to know if coming in from Las Terrenas is shorter than from Samana as I noticed from a map that there are paradas on both sides of the falls. Its not like he can't walk, but long distances on slippery ground would be difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi Mountainfrog and all you other know alots. Just wondered if you could help me in deciding which parada to go with. I gather from what I have read they all basically guide you with buros or horses but I wondered if one was a shorter ride. Have heard it is quite dangerous and steep and my husband broke his heel and hip a few years back. I wanted to know if coming in from Las Terrenas is shorter than from Samana as I noticed from a map that there are paradas on both sides of the falls. Its not like he can't walk, but long distances on slippery ground would be difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

where are you coming from???If you are staying in samana,then that is the shortest way to el limon...and el limon has a number of guides for
your trip..if you are staying in LT,then take a guagua or motoconco to el limon...
.bob

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
OOPS! Maybe I just found my own answer.

I found something that says anything around Arroyo Surdido is the shortest ride. So I guess that would be Parada Nega. Does that sound right?

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
Hi Bob,we will be in Samana, But I didn't mean the shortest route to the Parada, I mean from which parada is it the shortest route to the falls. We could drive alittle farther to have a shorter horseback ride. Does that make sense?

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Shortest ride

I found something that says anything around Arroyo Surdido is the shortest ride. So I guess that would be Parada Nega. Does that sound right?

Yes, you are correct, Parada Nega offer the shortest ride to El Limon waterfall. The lunch they offer is also good and the beer is cold. If you tell the old man Nega you found out about his place from the internet, for sure he will give you his thanks.

WebDev

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
About the best is Parada La Manzana in Arroyo Zurdido. Antonia and Martin will take real good care of you. We send all our hotel's guests to her exclusivly. And be sure and have lunch at her little restaurant after you come back. She makes the best Samanesa chicken I've had in my 10 years here.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Sant Rancho

It's been many years that I took a ride to the El Lim?n waterfalls...
I do, however, hear, that 'Santi Rancho' and his wife Suny (Casa Berca) are a good place to start out from.
Apparently they can arrange for individual tours and should therefore be able to suit your needs.
If interested I can look up a telephone number and an email address.

m'frog

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
About the best is Parada La Manzana in Arroyo Zurdido. Antonia and Martin will take real good care of you. We send all our hotel's guests to her exclusivly. And be sure and have lunch at her little restaurant after you come back. She makes the best Samanesa chicken I've had in my 10 years here.

Antonia at La Manzana is normally an excellent choice. They will take care of you and have very good guides. I don't think they are the shortest ride to the falls, but they are very professional compared to some others and will accomodate you. And as Andy said the luch is worth the price of the trip itself.

Be forewarned however, there are a number of steep steps that must be traversed after you get off the horses and before you get to the falls. There is a handrail most of the way, but if it has rained, it will be slippery, and each step is rather high.

La Manzana is east of Limon village a few km. We were there 2 weeks ago and the horseback ride should not be a problem even though it is somewhat rocky in places. I would be wary of the steps if your husband's hip bothers him at all.

bob

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
... and after all that (at the risk of being called a wet blanket -- or worse) it's just another jungle waterfall. If you've already seen one, and unless you're collecting waterfalls ... it's only about a six or a seven.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
... and after all that (at the risk of being called a wet blanket -- or worse) it's just another jungle waterfall. If you've already seen one, and unless you're collecting waterfalls ... it's only about a six or a seven.

Victoria Falls in Africa, Niagra Falls in North America and Dunn's Falls in Jamaica,...they're also "just waterfalls" unless you're into them.

What make el Limon so special? It's yet just another part of the natural beauty of this magnificient peninsula we call Samana.

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
Santi Rancho

Hi,
I think Santi Rancho, which is right in the center of "El Lim?n" is the best place, also chicken is their speciality.
However if you prefrer other place, I advise you not to let the "conchos" take you anywhere, they will tell you that they know the best and cheapest place, but it is false. You will have to pay more if you go with them because you will pay for their comission.
So Santi Rancho would be my option.

Bye.

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
All waterfalls rock!

Thanks for all the great tips everybody. I'm from an area of Ontario that has the Niagra escarpment running through and there are some lovely waterfalls here. I never get tired of seeing them and I'm sure I'll enjoy the adventure to discover El Limon!