"Critical Thought" is it used in the DR?

C

Chip00

I was just wondering if people's experience has shown "critical thought/thinking" as defined by:

Critical thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to be valued here in the DR among the highly educated as it generally is valued in other developed countries? I have talked with a few people in this category here and I felt a lack of interest but honestly shouldn't really formulate my opinion based on such few encounters. I think it's generally accepted that among the less educated that this is not generally regarded as something of great value or interest.

Sep 19, 2005
I think you would have to be carefull on who you judges to have it and who not. because I really think you would have to know the person very very well, to develope a notion they have it or not. Then you would have to be able to seperate those people who really dont care what others think...thus they never use critical thoughts to develop an opinion.

I know only a handfull of dominicans that i could judge. As an example one is such a alpha personality, that they will never use it in dealing with others, but they may use it under s tress mode situation...like if they were getting robbed or about to get into a car accident.

I always had a hard time trying to explain the problem my ex wife has in dealing with people and mostly myself....I didnt want to bad mouth her, and didnt want to stereotype myself , with the common thinking I am right and she is wrong.......but this is exactlyhe description of her problem.

she would soley develop a stance based on her belief...and totally ignore facts or accepted ways of thinking...just like the description giving in the article

I wonder how amny will wade into a subject like this. And i hope it was ok to bring up my ex-wife.

I wait to read others.

bob

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Lack of critial thinking can be observed in both the educated and uneducated.
No group is immune.
Just consider the likes of Lush Rimbaugh & Shame Hannity.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
No group is immune.

I don't know if the spelling of Hannity's (Sean) first name was an honest mistake or a subconscious slip......SHAME Hannity, too funny.:cheeky:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I was just wondering if people's experience has shown "critical thought/thinking" as defined by:

Critical thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to be valued here in the DR among the highly educated as it generally is valued in other developed countries? I have talked with a few people in this category here and I felt a lack of interest but honestly shouldn't really formulate my opinion based on such few encounters. I think it's generally accepted that among the less educated that this is not generally regarded as something of great value or interest.

Sometimes the questions asked by some of the foreigners living in the DR.....well on second thought I'm not going there. Suffice is to say that from personal experience I have a doctor, a manager, a businessman, a lawyer, a journalist who are family members. Yes I have converse with them and they do have much critical thinking.;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sometimes the questions asked by some of the foreigners living in the DR.....well on second thought I'm not going there. Suffice is to say that from personal experience I have a doctor, a manager, a businessman, a lawyer, a journalist who are family members. Yes I have converse with them and they do have much critical thinking.;)

I hear your sigh A.Hidalgo ;) but in this instance I also think I know what prompted the question so I can understand where Chip is coming from. And to Chip I would say, it all depends on where and how the person was educated. The highly educated in the DR have probably received some of that education at postgraduate level and may well have travelled extensively experiencing higher education in more countries than most foreigners living in DR. For such people analysis is valued as much in the same way as for any other nationality. When it comes to political analysis.....more so, in my view.

But, if your education stopped at 16 or 18 years of age and for most of that time you were subjected to 'repeat after me' teachers then you were never afforded the opportunity to either problem solve as an intellectual exercise, nor to analyse and evaluate. So these people, it seems to me, if they are bright, recoup those unavailable opportunities by adopting a more pragmatic approach.

C

Chip00

Sometimes the questions asked by some of the foreigners living in the DR.....well on second thought I'm not going there.

Senor Hidalgo - forgive me if I offended you. I am merely trying to understand more of my adopted home. I believe you when you tell me that it is used, however, I had based my question on lack of experience - hence the question. If you read below maybe you won't think I'm so crazy in wondering if critical thinking is valued:

Critical thinking is defined as follows:

Critical thinking consists of mental process of analyzing or evaluating information, particularly statements or propositions that people have offered as true. It forms a process of reflecting upon the meaning of statements, examining the offered evidence and reasoning, and forming judgments about the facts.

Here are a few examples:

1. Talked with a businessman who owns a clothing factory and he couldn't seem to understand the importance of wage law and and other incentives to bring more foreign investments into the already drying up clothing industry here. I guess he'll realize it one day he wakes up and his business is no more.

2. I couldn't seem to convince a doctor, who by the way just assisted on a very complicated surgery of my wife, that drinking something cold after eating something hot or being hot would not make your mouth "twist" or go go crazy.

These are just a couple of experiences that come to mind. If you take into account the way the politicians go about running this country it also leaves doubt if they use "critical thinking" in their decision process.

Nonetheless if this thread proves to be too offensive I would ask the moderator to close it - thanks.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When Did "Rush",and Hannity" move To The DR?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Your personal "AGENDA" is showing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Since there is no "Thought" in the DR, only "Conditioned Response", your point/question, is "MUTE"!!!!!!!!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Chip this is a very good question. I often ask the same thing. In dealing with family and friends in the DR I do notice that like Azabache mentioned no group is immune. It is very frustrating to me when a person can't think "critically".

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Actually, in many situations you can use the lack of critical thinking to an advantage. For example, one night I was confronted by a man wielding an axe. By the time I noticed he could not think critically, he was close enough that I could see his murderous intent shining in his eyes. When he was at striking distance, I spoke to him forcefully: "sell me that axe", and proceeded to open my wallet, pulling out a one hundred peso bill. He stopped cold in his forward motion, and then I pulled out another bill, and said, "OK, take it or leave". He gave me the axe, took my money, and walked away...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Actually, in many situations you can use the lack of critical thinking to an advantage. For example, one night I was confronted by a man wielding an axe. By the time I noticed he could not think critically, he was close enough that I could see his murderous intent shining in his eyes. When he was at striking distance, I spoke to him forcefully: "sell me that axe", and proceeded to open my wallet, pulling out a one hundred peso bill. He stopped cold in his forward motion, and then I pulled out another bill, and said, "OK, take it or leave". He gave me the axe, took my money, and walked away...
^^^Great thinking! A capitalist way to diffuse an ugly situation.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No group is immune.
An honest, unbiased person would use a spectrum of examples.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
^^^Great thinking! A capitalist way to diffuse an ugly situation.

Actually, I wasn't thinking at all. My reaction was instinctual, trying to stop my opponents 'critical thinking', by something which is second nature to me from years of conditioning: trying to buy myself out of a situation...

Sep 19, 2005

yeah thats all well and good untilthe day you wear those tight pants,, and it takes twice as long to wrestle the wallet out of the pocket....well you never finnish because you have an axe for a hat then.........

bob

C

Chip00

Geez is this thread dead already? I guess it lacked "critical interest" - it's just as well.

Sep 19, 2005
It isn't what people think that is important, but the reasons they think what they think
Eugene Ionesco (1909-1994)

that quote reminds of how I used to try and explain something to my ex wife.

say breaking up, or someone about to kill you

"dont you want to know why I am going to kill you?"

my reply is...what freaking difference does it make

if you want to ask me how I can avoid it...I am all ears

but telling me the reason WHY you are going to , would only make YOU feel better....NOT ME....it will be a moot point to me in a short while!!!!

ok another example why that quote is stupid

is the terrorist with a can of gasoline and a match at the door of the auditorium. WHY he is going to burn us all to death is not important to me

that he is going to do it...is very important

thats what I WANT TO KNOW

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
that quote reminds of how I used to try and explain something to my ex wife.

say breaking up, or someone about to kill you

"dont you want to know why I am going to kill you?"

my reply is...what freaking difference does it make

if you want to ask me how I can avoid it...I am all ears

but telling me the reason WHY you are going to , would only make YOU feel better....NOT ME....it will be a moot point to me in a short while!!!!

ok another example why that quote is stupid

is the terrorist with a can of gasoline and a match at the door of the auditorium. WHY he is going to burn us all to death is not important to me

that he is going to do it...is very important

thats what I WANT TO KNOW

bob

Unless of course you are forensically inclined (which you are not) and need to know who benefits? (cui bono?)...;-)