Bayahibe

mjk760

Feb 11, 2007

Am interested in spending some time in Bayahibe in mid-June and read about Hotel Bayahibe as clean, cheap, and convenient. BUT cannot find an e-mail or contact person to make the arrangements. Can anyone help? Also, we want to travel up to Samana area. What is the best airport to fly into Punta Cana or Santo Domingo? Then, is it possible to get to Bayahibe and then Samana by public transporation? If so HOW? Or should one take a cab? Is so, how much would one expect the cost to be? Any help/guidance would be helpful! Thanks

M

Sep 19, 2005
bayahibe to samana...needs to be planned carfeully....for public transportation...I am sure there are possibilities. But you will need a few stops for sure and a few change overs......hopefullthose in the know will respond....I dont know much about the bus schedules and routes , other than there are a few different companies.....a bus trip from Bayahibe to saman...has to be close to a total day trip....if not more

cab from bayahibe to samana...would be very very exspensive....unless of course the ferry is running( which I see is on the map but that doesnt mean it operates!!)

i think Punta cana is closer to Bayahibe than Santo domingo airport....but they probably have less flights available there(PC)

bob

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
The phone # for Hotel Bayahibe is 809-833-0159.

I have flown into SDQ, a taxi took us to the main highway and then we took a guagua to Bayahibe. We had to transfer in La Romana to a smaller one.

I love Bayahibe. There may be cheaper options to the Hotel B which you could check out when you arrive. The cheaper options were less bright. But may have cooking facilities. HB does have a cheap breakfast.

Have Fun!!

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
My drive to Bayahibe from SDQ and from PUJ took pretty much the same amount of time--90 minutes. With the SD airport east of SD by a substantial amount it shaves off a good deal of the time normally allocated for a drive to the city of Santo Domingo. The highway allows you to cover the distance rapidly too. Going at speed through the areas around Higuey is what slows you down to/from the Punta Cana airport, as well as only one lane of traffic going each way.

Kaki

mjk760

Feb 11, 2007
Great, thanks to those that replied. Any suggestions on which dive shop to use? I've seen 2 listed. Are there a variety of restuarants? Anyone else have ideas about getting from Bayahibe to Samana?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
any idea as to where to find their rates?

Looks like a cool place!!! (despite the gobbledegook).

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
You could try to phone them for the rates, most of the desk people and managers are bi-lingual. I think it was something like $55 for two including breakfast and dinner. It was really reasonable what ever it was, for some reason that is what I remember. It does have a seasonable rate, so it may go up at times but it was not by much.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
oh, mjk..there are small restuarants around ,a pizzeria and a few on the beach opened during the day. There are a couple of bigger ones opened at night and bars as well, not really a crazy scene but not "dead" either.
There were a couple of dive shops and they were soliciting people outside during the day for the trips, it seems like you'd have no trouble getting in your diving.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I use Seavis in Bayahibe for my water excursions. Though I'm a snorkeler, Martina and Werner are themselves divers and know many great divesites.

mail@seavisbayahibe.com

Mare Nostrum has Italian owners but is in a perfecto location overlooking the bay offering great food. It's not a cheap local eatery though (all beverages are 150 pesos each).

For eateries I'd suggest that you look into La Punta, La Bahia and a favourite of the locals being La Cubana.

Kaki

mjk760

Feb 11, 2007
Hotel Bayahibe rates

I did e-mail the hotel from the e-mail provided by a responder and was quoted $19US p/p for JUne. I'm not sure if that's a discounted rate post season...

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
that is probably the off season rate..I was thinking about winter and it was a guess, best recollection. The food was nice and the view from the restaurant was fabulous. You should have a great trip.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
I recall the Hotel Bayahibe was around $35 for two. I was there in November'05 and May '06. So $19/pp sounds reasonable.

We took a snorkel trip with Scuba Fun - they are one block from the Hotel B. Talk to them when you arrive to get on the next day's trip. Don't forget your hat and sunscreen.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I just stayed at Hotel Bayahibe a few weeks back. I paid 1200 pesos but didn't want breakfast or dinner. If you walk out of the hotel and make a left there is a big dive place right on the corner. Italian owned I believe.

We took a trip to isla saona and that was great. $40 and included a catamaran out to the island with cuba libres and beer on board, bachata lessons with the "animation" girls if so inclined. Once on the island there was open bar with cuba libres and beer, quisqueya beer, as well as buffet lunch with the typical dominican dishes, pork chops, pasta, rice, fruits etc. Then you get a speed boat ride back to Bayahibe with short stops at the "natural pool" and if people on board want to snorkle a 20 minutes stop for some brief snorkeling. Good deal for 40 bucks.

Right on the bay in bayahibe are a few restaurants and a dive "kiosk" bar that are good to watch the seunset from. The public beach had a beach bar or two and the main disco in town is being renovated. We opted to drive into La Romana for a Hector Acosta concert.

mjk760

Feb 11, 2007
Great! Thanks to all for your assistance. I'm looking forward to the trip. It's been really cold and snowy here...

kckid

Feb 26, 2007
I have booked with Scubafun for late March. They helped hook me up with Hotel Bayahibe and made reservations. Seems like an excellenet group...