Ferry services to other islands?

crackers

Feb 15, 2007
Hi can anybody tell me if there is a ferry service that goes to cuba? turks and caicos? bhahamas? San juan or any other of the surrounding islands from Puerta Plata and if so is it expensive Thanks

crackers

Feb 15, 2007
ferry services to other islands

Hi thanks for your reply, I have only just become a member of this forum so not to sure how it all works as yet. If not ferrys do you know of any cheap airlines to other surrounding islands. My husband and I bought a small villa in Sosua some time ago, but have not had chance to stay in it yet, we are both working in Bangladesh at the moment so its not that easy. We are hopeing to retire down there in the future, but are interested in travelling to the other islands and need to find out the cheepest way thanks in advance for any help.
Marj

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1!

Caribbean inter-island flights are rarely cheap, unfortunately. The smaller islands are usually only reachable via connections in Puerto Rico, Panama or Miami.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
from Puerto Rico you can go to many other islands- St Croix, St Thomas (from there anwhere in BVI- Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, etc) check out seabourne and cape air for air connections. Ferries between St Thomas and other islands are plentiful as well.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Cheap...

We live in Sosua currently and I'm always on the look out for cheap getaways myself. The problem is that out of Puerto Plata there really are only a handful of 'scheduled' airlines.

These airlines are:

American - To: Miami, San Juan, PR
Continental - To: Newark, NJ
Delta: To: Atlanta
Turks and Caicos: To: Grand Turk
Aeropostal: To: Carracas

Out of the above airlines American has the only reasonable fares within the Carribbean. For example: Puerto Plata / St. Martin - $350.00 rt incl taxes.

If you want to go to Europe or Canada then you have your choice of many 'charter' carriers and many offer last minute deals at amazing prices. The thing with the charters is that you generally can not book outside of 7 days before travel.

=========================================================

Cuba is ridiculously expensive to get to: Santo Domingo / Havana - $450.00rt
Even with a package it's very high.

==========================================================
The ferry from Santo Domingo to Puerto Rico (west coast of Puerto Rico) runs around $250.00 round trip, this includes room and food.

Out of Santiago and Santo Domingo your choices really open up, however still not a lot for inter-Carribbean travel. There are cheap flights to central america ($200.00rt) from Santo Domingo to Costa Rica.

It's really strange that you can go to Europe for the same price that you can go to St. Thomas.

IF you ever want more information on flights just PM me and I'll get you the information.

Regards,
Jack

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
That is sooooo funny Jack. We live in Paradise and you look for cheap getaways. But I know exactly what you mean. In Bermuda they call it Island fever and the folks there need the occasional break from the island.