Tropical Fruit

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I have been spending the last year and a half exploring the island in search of tropical fruit. I have read reports, been to hundreds of viveros, visited numerous orchards, spoken with big fruit companies and contacted the few collectors that are here on the island.

My conclusion is that this island is lacking in many great tropical fruits. To solve this, I have been applying for permits from the Secretary of Agriculture to import top quality fruit trees into the county (seedlings from registered viveros).

Unfortunately my initial pleasure with the organization of the Secretary of Agriculture was short lived. My application to import the trees has been met with the almost typical frustration in obtaining anything through the legitimate channels in this country.

The most recent advice I received was to just bring a few seedlings in and to bribe someone at the airport if my bags are checked.

Now, I am not into doing things illegally. Having a bigger variety of fruit trees on the island is a benefit to all. And no, I am not taking about an invasive species or anything that would affect the local environment in a detrimental way. I am only after fruits from tropical climates that have been introduced into all the surrounding islands and central America since the late 1800`s.

Can anyone advise me on how I can achieve my goal???

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is NO "LEGAL/ILLEGAL" In The DR!!!!!!!

Just,"What You Can Get Away With,And What You Can't"! The stuff you "Can't Get Away With" just means you haven't "Come To An Agreement" with the right person, ie."Compensation" for them!!!:cheeky:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you want to continue busting your chops, go ahead and try and to it "right".

If you want some help, maybe one of the major fruit players here can help you, people like BON, RICA or MAU....If you don't know who they are, you probably should not be trying to do this....

Otherwise, the above two posters have given you good advice for how things are done here. Sorry....you have a good heart...don't deserve the bull sh!t they feed you at the Sec of Ag....bunch of self serving bastids..

HB

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
You know, I have always wondered why no lemons (yellow real ones) are grown here. They have a stange one that is called a "sweet lemon", but try as I might, I can't figure out what to do with them.

Anyway, what's with limes and no lemons? Like the op said, there must be others. There are several vegetables that I would like get started, but alas, I do not have the space. Danny's got bananas and peppers planted in every square inch! Got four stalks that will be ready in another few weeks. Pretty bad when even the neighbors get tired of them.

Anybody got room for some good old yellow summer squash, field peas and real yams! I'll get 'em in if someone around Santiago would plant them and share. What about Silver Queen sweet corn? Someone (can't remember who) said that honest to goodness sweet corn wouldn't grow here, but for some reason, that just doesn't track. The soil here is so rich here that I've seen rocks with roots! Any thoughts?

Dianne

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
D&D: The reason I got from some ag people is sunlight. Yup, not enough to make the sweet corn grow well. It seems to get stunted. You know in the states, they get more sunlight suring the summer months that we do in the tropics...remember reading the paper outdoors at ten at night??

Try and see.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Got My First "Avocados" From A Seed I Planted 8 Years ago!

Dominicans don't seem to take advantage of the seeds that come with every avocado and mango they eat! I do! Eat a good avocado? Plant the seed! Same for mangos! Plant those papaya seeds and "limones" too! Bananas and plantanos are easy. Get some "shoots" to get started and you will have a never ending supply!
Want "FRESH EGGS"????? Get some "Hens & a Rooster and you will soon have lots of eggs and "meat" too! The chickens keep the "Insect" population under control as a bonus!
Want "Protection",get a pair of big dogs! Soon you can supply all your friends and neighbors with "Watch Dogs"! Dominicans like to get free dogs. Just tell them that they are a "Pure Breed" Falkland Island Terriors !:cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The dogs will keep "Ladrones" from stealing your fruit too! Dominicans seem to feel it's "OK" to take your fruit,but not to plant anything themselves! I think that it's their need for instant gratification!

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
I once had a chance to visit Bogota, Colombia. The ex-wife (maldita,azarosa), and I, used to go to the market place every so often, and was marveled at the variety of fruits available many of which I'd never seen or tasted ever! If ever had a chance to smuggle these exotic fruit seeds to DR from SA, I would do so without qualms.

C

Chip00

I'm no expert on fruits even though I studied agriculture but where I used to live in Moca in the campo it seemed like their were trees producing all types of edible things like limonsilla, naranja, mango, avocado, platano, guayaba. I do know the soil is very fertile and as long as the fruit/vegetable is from the tropical climates thare shouldn't be much of a problem. Whenever I pay off my house I'd like to buy a 1/4 acre next to my house to plant a garden to have fresh vegetables and fruits every day of the week.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
the oranges aren't orange, because they don't get the cool nights that they do in the Indian River country in Florida. (and an occasional freeze that comes along now and then). the cool temps change the color from green to orange..

Same with lemons. They turn yellow after receiving some cool temps.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, no, no.
the yellow lemons are more oval, bigger (way bigger) and have different skin (or is it a peel?) texture. same for oranges. orange oranges are less smooth than those green ones in here.
plus lemons taste different than those green thingies, limes or whatever people call it here and they are yellow inside too, not greenish.
as to oranges i admit i like the green ones but they ain't the one you peel and EAT, they are to peel and suck out (no dirty thoughts, pervs!).
they must be different fruits altogether!

Rein

Apr 27, 2007
Tropical fruit

Hello Taylor,

what kind of tropical fruit trees would you like to import?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Plan To "INTRODUCE" Some "HASS AVOCADOS" When I Return.

Although small in size,I find them more "flavorful/Creamy textured" than MOST Dominican avocados. I'll bring 3 or 4 seeds to prapagate once there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Just curious.

Although small in size,I find them more "flavorful/Creamy textured" than MOST Dominican avocados. I'll bring 3 or 4 seeds to prapagate once there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

How long would it take--under ideal conditions-- to grow one to maturity and fruition?

Also, is there any way that these trees can be manipulated to fruit in the off-season?

The avocados seen here, in Maryland, come from Mexico, et al. Does DR export them anywhere? or is production for domestic consumption only?

They cost anywhere from $1.00 for a scrawny, to almost $2 for a plump one.
It seems there's a lucrative market here, even at a lower price from the producers.

I wonder how cost-effective this market would be, once CAFTA fully kicks in? I would venture to opine that even at a 10cent profit margin per unit, big bucks can be made. Quien sabe.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The main sources of U.S. imports of avocados are Mexico, Chile, Dominican Republic, and New Zealand ( Figure 3 ). Most of these imports are the Hass variety coming from Mexico, Chile, and New Zealand. Dominican Republic exports are mainly of the green-skin type similar to those produced in Florida. Mexico and Chile, with shares of 50.9% and 43.5% respectively, dominate the U.S. avocado import market, accounting for 94.4% of total imports in 2005. As illustrated in Figure 2 , up until 2004, Chile was the main supplier of avocados to the United States, followed by Mexico. However, the situation now has been reversed. In 2005, Mexico more than tripled the amount of avocados it ships to the United States (from 42,000 tons in 2004 to 148,000 tons in 2005). This represents an increase of 106,000 tons (247.4%) over the previous year. In comparison, imports from Chile increased by 23,000 tons (22.7%) to reach 127,000 tons for the same period. Although imports of avocados from Dominican Republic are substantially less than those from Mexico and Chile the volume has been increasing over time. From 7,595 tons imported in 1996, imports have now more than doubled to 16,337 tons in 2005 (2,361 tons more than the quantity imported in the previous year).

World, U.S. and Florida Avocado Situation and Outlook

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Taylor
Please get ahold of Midlama Devares at snaidad vegetal in the capital tell her you are a frind of Albin. She cna help you in importing the variety of fruit you derie. Her Husband Fernado is one of the oldest employees of Fersan he also has a Chinola plantatin he might some advide on how to go around it.
Things sometimes get kind of tricky here in the island. Trust me it took me a while to get my own business started.
Now remeber the best way to get things done is to get people in a position of power to belive in your plan. Midalma she might agree with you since she is big fruit lover.
Suerte.
Albin