Restaurants : price for resident

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
I remenber I read once a thread on the fact that some restaurants offer differents prices for the permanent residents.
I didn't note those because at this time I wasn't a resident. But now I am !!!!
So if you know this restaurants, or if you know what to do to pay cheaper and to come more often in this places, I thank you to explain this to me.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I remenber I read once a thread on the fact that some restaurants offer differents prices for the permanent residents.
So if you know this restaurants, or if you know what to do to pay cheaper and to come more often in this places, I thank you to explain this to me.
I believe that La Roca is the only restaurant that has double pricing.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Living in Puerto Plata I can tell you without a doubt pricing is different for permanent residents ( for obvious reasons I will not Identify )

First off I was sitting in a Gringo Bar in the centre of town yesterday downing a Grande Presidente that I pay RD. 80 Pesos for, a tourist comes in and orders the same and is charged RD. 100 Pesos.

I go to a restaurant and order a nice meal, because I live here I'm told I get a discount of 10%
Also If I pay cash (No credit card) I'm not charged the horrendous 26%.

Another example is I go into a Pharmacy and demand 10% off and receive it.

I could go on but you catch my drift by now!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Also If I pay cash (No credit card) I'm not charged the horrendous 26%.
Does this 26% include a 10% propina?
Some say si but others say no.

Does a 10% service fee tax equal a 10% tip?
If it does not all go directly to the workers, I would have to say no.

Apparently there are places where the owner takes some of the actual tips so it would seem likely that there are many more owners that take some or all of this fee which seems ridiculous to me.:mad: :angry:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does this 26% include a 10% propina?
Some say si but others say no.

Does a 10% service fee tax equal a 10% tip?
If it does not all go directly to the workers, I would have to say no.

Apparently there are places where the owner takes some of the actual tips so it would seem likely that there are many more owners that take some or all of this fee which seems ridiculous to me.:mad: :angry:
The 10% is not a tip, it is a percentage charged to be distributed amongst all the employees as part of their salaries.
The 16% is the food tax paid to the governement.
I know of one restaurant in POP that takes part of the waiter's tips, so we have to wrap his tip up in a napkin and give it to him on the sly.
Gringo indicates that double pricing in POP is common.
Like I said above, the only restaurant I know of in Sosua that does it, is La Roca.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
And some restaurants, like Rocky's, charge fair prices for all, no need to charge extra to some so they can discount to others. I think that is a much more honorable thing to do.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
We eat at this place in Sosua alot. I never look at all the prices I'm being charge, but one time I did. Does a bagel realy cost 130 pesos.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
The 10% is not a tip, it is a percentage charged to be distributed amongst all the employees as part of their salaries.
I know of one restaurant in POP that takes part of the waiter's tips, so we have to wrap his tip up in a napkin and give it to him on the sly.
Like I said above, the only restaurant I know of in Sosua that does it, is La Roca.
Some people seem to think that the tip is already included.

Thanks for clearing this up Rocky.:classic:

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
I believe that La Roca is the only restaurant that has double pricing.
a once popular gringo bar near to the central park in pta.pla appliies this 2 tier policy(woof,woof;) seen them caught out a couple of times too applying this silly and greedy(in my opinion)act.
same said folks are ALLWAYS moaning about AI tourists not leaving the complex.would it encourage anyone if they felt they were being stiffed?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

Many people consider the 10% a tip, whether or not it is, is a matter of interpretation I guess.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Many people consider the 10% a tip, whether or not it is, is a matter of interpretation I guess.
You're right. Most tourists wouldn't have a clue about it, and why would they?

Malibook said:
Thanks for clearing this up Rocky.:classic:
Anytime.

SURFUP69 said:
We eat at this place in Sosua alot. I never look at all the prices I'm being charge, but one time I did. Does a bagel realy cost 130 pesos.
Where? At La Roca?
I doubt that they would charge that much for a bagel. Are you sure?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
You're right. Most tourists wouldn't have a clue about it, and why would they?
Whenever I ask if the 26% includes any tip, they always say no but they never mention that they do split the 10%.

So it is not a tip but it is okay to consider it part of the tip and some uninformed tourists are tipping more than they realize.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Whenever I ask if the 26% includes any tip, they always say no but they never mention that they do split the 10%.

So it is not a tip but it is okay to consider it part of the tip and some uninformed tourists are tipping more than they realize.
I wouldn't take a position on how much anyone should tip, as that is up to them.
The 10% is considered salary, and not tip.
It's not just shared by the waiters.
Everyone gets a slice, right down to the gardener.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
The 10% is considered salary, and not tip.
It's not just shared by the waiters.
Everyone gets a slice, right down to the gardener.
Sorry, but now I am confused as to why you agreed with Conchman, plus I thought you were implying that tourists don't know they are tipping more than they realize.:ermm:

Anyways, I will continue to tip as I see fit regardless of some people thinking I am a showoff idiot.:cheeky:

Such a complicated matter.:ermm:
This thread made it clear as mud.:rolleyes:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-s...-tips-propina-always-included-meal-price.html

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry, but now I am confused as to why you agreed with Conchman, plus I thought you were implying that tourists don't know they are tipping more than they realize.:ermm:

Anyways, I will continue to tip as I see fit regardless of some people thinking I am a showoff idiot.:cheeky:

Such a complicated matter.:ermm:
This thread made it clear as mud.:rolleyes:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-s...-tips-propina-always-included-meal-price.html
I agreed with Conchman that most tourist would think it's a tip, which it is NOT.
It's a service charge, which includes all the employees, whereas a tip-propina, is a gratuity offered to a service employee, who you feel has given you good service.
Does that thin out the mud?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
I thought Conchman was referring to locals in-the-know and that you agreed with this.
I don't get the impression at all that he is referring to uninformed tourists.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of people consider this 10% part or even all of the tip.

Anyways, now I am clear.

Thanks Rocky.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I thought Conchman was referring to locals in-the-know and that you agreed with this.
I don't get the impression at all that he is referring to uninformed tourists.
You're right. I bet a lot of residents don't have a clue either about how it all works, and again, why would they, unless they own a restaurant.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of people consider this 10% part or even all of the tip.
I bet waiters & waitresses lose a lot of money with that 10%, if clients think of it as a tip, then they get stiffed.
Surely they would make more money, if that 10% did not exist.
Another fine example of government screwing it all up for the poor people.

Anyways, now I am clear.
Thanks Rocky.
Anytime

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
a once popular gringo bar near to the central park in pta.pla appliies this 2 tier policy(woof,woof;) seen them caught out a couple of times too applying this silly and greedy(in my opinion)act.
same said folks are ALLWAYS moaning about AI tourists not leaving the complex.would it encourage anyone if they felt they were being stiffed?

I'm familiar with this Bar.

In their defence, I'm not sure the practice of charging RD$ 500 Pesos for a discount card is wrong, this card is available to anyone, Tourist or Expat.

In fact I think its good business for a Bar to encourage the Expat community to to return when the low season kicks in and be awarded with a discount as well.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Rocky it was at the Britannia Pub, and we eat and drink there alot. But like I said we would get our tab and look at the total and just pay with a big tip. The 3 of us would allways get a bagel with our meal, not knowing we were being charge 390 pesos for 3 bagels. So I learn the hard way, even if you know the owners still look at your check on what your paying for. Still killing me that he was doing that to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.