Help with Las Terrenas Getaway

susan&Eric

Aug 5, 2006
Hi All

We have been following this forum for several months now...what a great group!!! We are finally planning a trip to Las Terrenas area from April 6 through the 11th. Any recommendations for the drive from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas? Thanks!!!

Susan and Eric :)

G

gary short

Wow that's quite a journey for five days in Las Terrenas. Are you renting an auto or busing it?????

susan&Eric

Aug 5, 2006
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply!!!
We were just heading for bed and saw your post. We have reserved a car at the airport (do we need a 4WD?). It is a short time, but it is part of a longer trip. We are anxious to see as much of the country as we can, comfortably, and we will be back, I'm sure. Do you live in DR?

Susan and Eric

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply!!!
We were just heading for bed and saw your post. We have reserved a car at the airport (do we need a 4WD?). It is a short time, but it is part of a longer trip. We are anxious to see as much of the country as we can, comfortably, and we will be back, I'm sure. Do you live in DR?

Susan and Eric

please take a montero.i did it the first time with a corolla tryin to save money on gas.it's not worth it!get a motero.way too many pothole and bumps on the way.we got to my friends gram in campo la samana and couldn't make it up the hill.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Fly It

First of all, I have made the trip by road more than 50 times and it is quite worth it for 5 days. It is much better in a small SUV because there are certainly rough spots in the road along the way. But once you get there, the rewards are wonderful. It is a great adventure. You can also take flights several times a day from SD. The cost is about $90 per person and the flight lasts 20 minutes and you don't need a car to get around there. When you get there, have dinner at Cafe Yuca and tell Guido that Steven says hello. Then go to the Mosquito bar around 10:00 and just enjoy!

Regards

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Fly!

The trip by car is 4 1/2 to 5 hrs. and DO NOT drive at night. Go to the Aerodomca website (Bienvenido al Website de Aerodomca) and check out their flight schedule. Or charter a small plane from them. They will meet you at the airport and go right to the charter and you will be in LT in 35 minutes. What you save on the rental car and time will pay for the flight.

bob

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Why cant you drive to Samana at night ?

Those who know anything about the DR will always advise you (meaning anyone) not to drive at night anywhere in the DR because it is just too dangerous. Besides the drivers who drive all sorts of vehicles without lights, there are bad roads, animals, potholes, pedestrians, and no rules!

bob

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
it's just occured to me that your vacation dates are Semana Santa... You might be in for a real ride... Do some research about "semana santa in DR" to see what I am refering to...

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Why cant you drive to Samana at night ?

Just couse schit happen, as with this guy on Sunday night, February 18/2007.
Picture taken Monday morning February 19/2007 on the road to Samana in El Coyote. Lucky the driver and passenger where unhurt.

accident-samana2.jpg

Don't drive at night!

WebDev

susan&Eric

Aug 5, 2006
Hey thanks everyone for the advice....hmmm I think I will check out
the flights. Can you rent a car in Las Terrenas??? We were going to
drive around the coastal areas from Las Terrenas to Cabarete.

Thank you Thank you :))))))))))

Susan & Eric

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Hey thanks everyone for the advice....hmmm I think I will check out
the flights. Can you rent a car in Las Terrenas??? We were going to
drive around the coastal areas from Las Terrenas to Cabarete.

Thank you Thank you :))))))))))

Susan & Eric

Yes you could rent a car in Las Terrenas, they are several Rent-a-car places, they will came to your hotel to deliver the car, moto or ATV. Don't have to window shop, shop by phone from your hotel room.
Daytona, Indianapolis, Richard, just a few of the names to look for.

WebDev

susan&Eric

Aug 5, 2006
Thanks for the great tips, everybody!
We are still leaning toward renting a car (SUV now) in Santo Domingo for the drive to Las Terrenas since we will be getting in around noon. Also we want to have the flexibility to head over to Puerto Plata and see the North Coast. Any feedback about these hotels in Las Terrenas: Alisei Hotel and La Dolce Vita Hotel?

Hey Squat, is it toally crazy around DR during Semana Santa? We'll look into it.

Thanks again
Susan and Eric :))))

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Any feedback about these hotels in Las Terrenas: Alisei Hotel and La Dolce Vita Hotel?
Both are very nice... Both have great italian restaurants... Alisei is newer... You can't go wrong with any of those two.

Hey Squat, is it toally crazy around DR during Semana Santa?
It really is. But if you are aware of it before coming, it will help. Try not to be on the road, as the whole country is driving towards the campos/beach areas, and most of those guys start drinking at 9:00am while driving. Once in LT, you can enjoy the beach, as most dominicans won't swim, but instead, they'll drink & play domino on the shade, right next to their SUV, while listening to high-volume bachata.