Nice Motel in Boca Chica

gatita

Feb 20, 2007
Im looking for a nice Motel or Pension in Boca Chica. Is there one close to the beach and special with warm water? How much do I have to pay for a night end of march?
Thaxx

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
El Candil is very nice. they just switched over owners but give them a call
(809) 523 42 52. about3 blocks from the beach, security, hot water all the time, guest friendly, restaurant/bar, nice pool.. they look more like apartments than hotel rooms with a seperate living room with cable, kitchen area, bedroom with bathroom.

there is also el gaucho and costalunga which i hear are nice also. Hamaca is an all-inclusive if you want that.

SAB

Feb 10, 2007
One of the best places I know is El Mirador. It's owned by an italian.
It's a residence. you can call him at 809-523-6680.
The appartments/rooms are very clean and you can even cook yourself.
I think he takes around 45/50 US$ a night.
I am not sure he has still rooms available. Another one you can try is Hotel Garant International which is owned by a canadian.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I am opting for a non AC room at candil this year (i have stayed there many times in the past...and hope all will go well with the new administration).

A 1br apt is 52 a night...(with kitchenette and AC)...no ac with kitchen is 37...and no kitchen and no AC 32.

Costalunga runs 40 a night.

Well...i dont plan on spending my day time in my room (when it gets hot)...and the evenings are quite comfortable...and i definitely am not going to be cooking....so I think the

I just hope its a decent room! I have always had a nice apt overlooking the pool area. All i need is the breezas...and i will be happy.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i got an email from mario at constalunga for a quote of 40 a night the other day. Unfortunately...they dont have availablity till the 5th...and i am flying on the 28th.

The new adminstration at candil has room for me...i am just trying to confirm my rate for 32 at candil.

(oh..and to he OP..the extra $$ for an AC room with a kitchen has been worth it in the past for me....i am just cutting corners this year...and i since i dont cook on vacation...and the kitchenettes that are offered are quite spare..i see this as a great cost cutter.)

I am just hoping that the Non-AC room has some decent breazes.

and to the OP..i am returning on the 7th of march..and you are looking towards the end of march...i will most definitely post about my stay before you travel.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
when i stayed at el candil in january i had an a/c room, never really needed it. my apt was right over the office so i got good breezas. the only drawback was the activity from the massage parlor across the street and the moto noise on the street. i was too fond of the "leave your key" policy but then again that big fish with a key on it is not something you can stick in your pocket...:laugh:

susan&Eric

Aug 5, 2006
Hotel near Santo Domingo airport

We will be leaving DR April 11 and would like to find a decent room for the night before. Any recommendations for something close? We'd prefer not to have to go into the city. Thanks!!
Susan and Eric :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Do you have a working email address?

costalunga@verizon.net.do

that is what mario used to email me with.

I gotta say...i would probably stay at costalunga next time.

I just got back from 9 days at candil. The new Italian woman is pleasant enough...but just doesnt give me the same feeling of personal attention that petteri and guiseppi gave me. (although they did upgrade me to one of the larger "suites" for my last 3 nights).

I still prefer the layout of candil...its nice if you are traveling solo as the pool area can be very social.

BIGGEST complaint...was that when i tried to pay my bill...they wouldnt take a credit card!!! AYYYEEE!!! because of the transition they have not yet recieved a new credit card machine. I found this out around 8 pm..and i was not about to go to the local ATM and take out 500 usd and walk around town. I ended up going to banco popular first thing in the morning to get the cash...but still...it totaly messed up my last day there. I really had wanted to get up early and get in one more swim to matica.

That is just a temporary glitch...and i did mention in another thread that one should expect some glitches with a new administration.

Maid service wasnt as on point as usual this year. One day no towels, one day not cleaned at all, one day 1/2 cleaned.

Oh...and if you dont ASK for your free airport pickup/drop off ...they will try to charge you.

ALSO...my bill was nearly 500 pesos friday morning vs thursday night. I questioned it..but really didnt want to argue over 15 dollars on my last day and just paid it.

I am certainly not trying to slam the new woman at candil....i think perhaps she just needs a bit of time to learn the ropes....but if i were traveling right now..i think i would opt for costalunga or try one of the other places. I never had a problem paying the extra few $$ for candil in the past...but i just cant justify it after this past trip.

Oh...but maritza who cooks breakfast is a SWEETIE!!! and Angel the night security guard is cool as always. Unfortunately Sandy (who picked me up at the airport) was gone the whole week.

ok..so my bottom line is...if you are traveling and want a nicer "looking" hotel...spend the few xtra for candil...but if that isnt important...look at costalunga.

Oh...and one more note. The new owner, nor does anyone at the front desk, speak english. not a big problem for me....until it came down to reviewing my bill. My spanish is OK...until it comes down to particulars.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
help with getting better maid service

1 way I have found to improve maid service in the DR is to leave a small tip out for the maid....I had lousy service at 2 different hotels in the DR then was told to leave a small gratuity each day...I had always left something at the end of my stay....now I always have good maid service.

merrick

Mar 9, 2007
Thanks for the help guys. I have heard a lot about Costalunga. Is that some place that you would suggest. I am looking for a chica friendly hotel with no hassels but I dont want to stay in a dump. Cant sleep without ac and I dont plan on sleeping alone. Where should I stay

portcityplaya

Oct 10, 2004
i got an email from mario at constalunga for a quote of 40 a night the other day. Unfortunately...they dont have availablity till the 5th...and i am flying on the 28th.

The new adminstration at candil has room for me...i am just trying to confirm my rate for 32 at candil.

(oh..and to he OP..the extra $$ for an AC room with a kitchen has been worth it in the past for me....i am just cutting corners this year...and i since i dont cook on vacation...and the kitchenettes that are offered are quite spare..i see this as a great cost cutter.)

I am just hoping that the Non-AC room has some decent breazes.

and to the OP..i am returning on the 7th of march..and you are looking towards the end of march...i will most definitely post about my stay before you travel.

I was planning on calling El Candil about a reservation in July and was wondering what it is like with the new Adminstrators. Is it pretty much the same as before? I enjoyed it a great deal last year when we went in Sept. Have the completed the construction that was going on? That was one problem that bothered me. They would start working early in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
I was planning on calling El Candil about a reservation in July and was wondering what it is like with the new Adminstrators. Is it pretty much the same as before? I enjoyed it a great deal last year when we went in Sept. Have the completed the construction that was going on? That was one problem that bothered me. They would start working early in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there:
I just came back from Boca Chica spent 16 days at the El Candil. This was our first time staying at this hotel and My husband and I really enjoyed this hotel. I only had phone contact with the old administrators, however the new lady running this hotel is Italian and doesnt speak much english. But she was very nice and we have been going to Boca Chica for 10 yrs and have stayed at many of the small hotels. I took alot of advice from this board and the El Candil was highly reccommended. I am going back in November for 2 weeks and I will stay there again for sure. As far as the construction it will probably be going on for at least 3 yrs. We got so used to the jackhammers and noise that its hard to sleep with all this quiet. LOL
As far as the service at this hotel I thought it was great from the maids, cooks, waitresses, reception, maintenance and the secrurity man. We had a great vacation and I would definitley reccomend the El Candil!!

Happy travels
Lizzard

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
re: construction

just a quick tip on candil.

ask for a room in the B section! You wont be facing the new construction that way!!

Also...DONT go for the studio's with no AC. (there are only two studios available...one window and one door, which both face the public pool area = no privacy & no breeze).

If there are a few of you..the suites are kinda nice. I got upgraded to a two bedroom suite (the presidente!). it was great...one thing tho...bring some sort of clip thingie along to keep the curtains shut or else you might end up flashing all the other rooms lol! (i pointed this out to the new adminstration)

I had some concerns with staying there with the new administration. Granted..there were a few bumps along the way. But i would certainly still recommend it...and would stay there again myself.

There ARE cheaper and other good options in BC. You pay a slightly more at candil (approx 10USD more) than other hotels in BC. The service isnt quite as personal as with the former administration (Petteri & Guiseppi always made me feel like candil was home)...but i am sure in time that will work out.

*sigh* cant wait to go back!!!!

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Hotel Europa

This is right on Duarte av. In the middle of it all...1 block to the beach and $35.00 per night..Hot water and a fridge aith a table and chairs in the room..Clean and safe....$25.00 without A/C.. It's clean and has a small discotec attached called the American Bar..A hooker hangout if thats what your into..So you don't have to go far from your room..also serves a continental breakfast...Contact info is..809-523-5721....

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
yeah, i remember all of them sitting outside at the table and chairs trying to lure gringos into the bar. most of them were quite nice looking..