Cabarete lodging

Status
Not open for further replies.

lulove

Feb 20, 2007
i am planning on getting married in the DR and will be traveling with 35 other ppl (age 25-65)...any suggestions for villas/small hotels? ideally our group will be within walking distance to each other and to town. any suggestions or insight to the area? also- how far is isabell de torres mountain? is it feasible to get married there or are there other gardens closer? cheers!

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
When is your special day. I may be able to help you I have about 20 small apartments I may be able to rent in the middle of town.
Let me know we have a great location in Cabarete and if I dont have the rooms I can give you some other nice spots to go to.

lulove

Feb 20, 2007
we're thinking the first week in november... any insight would be great! we've inquired at a few villas and are waiting to hear back from most. any idea about villa fantasia and it's story - it's what we're looking for but haven't been able to contact the owner via phone or e-mail?

new york traveler

Jan 24, 2008
Villa Fantasia Cabarete Mark Lancer Steve Fallaw Scam Con Artist

January 24, 2008

Just wanted to warn everyone that we were scammed! Sounds like "Mark Lancer" and/or "Steve Fallaw" are misrepresenting themselves as manager/owner of Villa Fantasia on 18 Camino Del Sol, Cabarete, Dominican Repbulic on numerous villa websites (VRBO, Viviun, Travel Library, etc.). They sent a contract, collected a deposit and never responded after that. The villa does exist, but they don't represent it. Be very careful if you try to rent this place or deal with these individuals (lancerlotz@aol.com, phone 843 628 0334). Fortunately we discovered before arriving thanks to an honest, conscientous, and reliable villa owner who hunted it down for us and we've made alternative arrangements. We've rented numerous villas in many places safely and reliably, but this sounds like a growing problem (reportedly same villa in Nov 06, and another place in Cabarete in Dec 07), wanted to give everyone a heads-up. It may be linked to these sites that offer "bachelor party" arrangements, so tread carefully.:devious:

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
A good hotel in Caberete that my husband and I have stayed at a couple of times and have really enjoyed is Alegria. The owners are a married couple from the states, have owned it for 2 years now. Their prices are fair, the rooms are clean, they have a nice bar/restaurant in the front, a cool jacuzzi on a deck that is above all of the other hotels so it's private and has a good view of the ocean. I don't know that you would want to get married at this hotel, however for your friends/family to have a nice place to stay at affordable prices, it's worth looking in to.

slomichael

Aug 12, 2006
Lodging for Group in Cabarete

I agree that Alegria is a great place. I have not stayed there, however we have eaten a few meals at their restaurant and think the owners are wonderful and would provide you with quality service and be very truthful on what they can actually provide. You would not get scammed there.

Another great option is the El Magnifico Condo complex. We have stayed there four times and it is beautiful and would be a great gathering spot for a large group. One of my favorite lodging spots anywhere.....

There is probably some price difference between the two options I have mentioned, though both are very good values in relation to other hotel/motel/condo options.

Have a great time.

sincerely,
Michael

slomichael

Aug 12, 2006
Alegria is located on the east edge of the Cabarete beach, past all of the windsurfing rental places and before you get to the Velero Hotel. Maybe a short 5 -8 minute or so walk to the middle of all the discos, etc. just far enough away for it to be quiet. Also it is about 20 yards off the beach, and about 250 yards from Janet's supermarket. It is a great location. Safe also....

Sincerely,
Michael

gypsytan

Oct 19, 2007
If you're looking for a small hotel I agree Alegria is a great choice, for your wedding party to stay at, but I also agree with the person who said it may not be what you want for your actual wedding. If you can afford it, check El Velero. It is right next to Alegria and the best non AI in Cabarete. You can have guests at both hotels to keep reduce your costs. As to your wedding, while Velero has a great garden with the ocean as background, I'm not 100% sure that their restaurant can host a decent wedding party for you. Their restaurant is new and we have not yet heard too many comments on it. However, there are other restaurants which I would recommend, such as La Otra Cosa (right accross from El Velero), or if you don't care about the ocean view, Bliss has great facilities and serves great food too.

One thing to keep in mind: while November is great price wise cause it's low season and you will find room in all hotels, owners and managers do take their vacation during the low season. You need to plan well in advance and make sure that whomever you contact now will be here and in charge of your wedding preparations. It could be a challenge if you re looking for something a bit sophisticated.

In short, my advice: contact the owners of some hotels asap, ask them what they can offer to make your wedding a success, explain exactly what you want, etc. Post back here once you're about to make the decision and do listen to the locals who can tell you whether you're dealing with a person with a good reputation that won't fail you.

Best of luck,

sandra vancouver

Sep 8, 2008
Married in cabarete

Hello:

I would suggest El Magnifico. I have been in Cabarete 9 times in the last two years for 36 weeks in total and have stayed at many places but the last 5 trips I stayed at El Magnifico and would not stay anywhere else now.

I don't think the Alegria would suit you very well, myself.

I will be at El Magnifico for 6 weeks starting about Nov 1 (depends on the planes out of Vancouver) and would be happy to help you if you're interested.

I can do a lot from here as all my friends as well as my boyfriend are Dominican and two of my friends and my boyfriend speak good English.

I am bored both up here and down there as all my friends work and I own a college but have such good people I only need a laptop and a phone and I don't have to actually work any more, just discuss things a few times a week.

I have many photos of El Magnifico as well as other places of interest I could set you up for day trips to which are much more interesting than the amber museum and the rum factory.

If you're interested, for instance:

My friend Josephina and her daughter Katherine would come to the hotel to give any ladies interested a manicure AND pedicure with nail art plus honey/sugar foot and leg massage for $25;

I could organize a day trip to a beautiful river where my friends would cook up a Dominican bbq for a few dollars per person plus the cost of the food (they pick up everything needed);

etc. etc. it would be fun to help you plan a few things, including the wedding. I don't want any money, just invite me to the event!

I have lots of photos of places I've been with my friends that tourists don't usually get to see, and as I said I'm just looking for something to do so if you're interested in chatting just email me at gbuscol@telus.net and I'll be happy to send some photos of Magnifico etc. if you'd like.

Sandra

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Sandra...Why are you opening wedding threads that are over a year old??? These people are (presumably) already married... If you're trying to advertise a wedding planning service, I suggest you contact DR1.com for advertising rates...

if you're just looking to make friends, there are plenty of active threads to get involved in...

mrdifficult

Mar 6, 2009
I am planning my third trip to the dominican republic in April 2010 and would like some advice on lodging. During the 1st and 2nd trip i came down with 4 of my friends and we stayed at the Sousa Bay Resort. We enjoyed our stay; however, as you may already know guests are not allowed unless you pay. So, a lot of people have been telling me to rent a villa or condo. Can anyone suggest a villa or condo that's on the beach, between Sosua and Cabarete, can accomodate 6 people and that's in the center of the nightlife (bars & restaurants).
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.