Dominicana trying to figure out how to renew her passport

Dominicanchic17

Feb 21, 2007
I was born in the Dominican Republic. I moved to the U.S when I was about four years old with my mother. I have been living here ever since. I visited D.R often, until recently. I renewed my passport the last time I was there, I was 17 at the time, and it is due to expire at the end of this month, which I just happened to realize. How do I go about renewing it? Do I need to deal with the D.R consulate? Can I renew it here in the U.S or do I have to travel to D.R to get it renewed? Any information or links to pertinent websites would be extremely helpful.

Gracias

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
To renew your Dominican passport you can do it at any Dominican consulate/embassy in the US http://www.domrep.org/faqconsular.html

But hopefully you have a vaild American passport or you will not be able to get back into the US without it.

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

Taken from New Requirements for Travelers

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Assuming she's trying to renew a Dominican passport

Anna , as I understand it...any VALID passport will be accepted...not just US passports.....

bob

Yes Bob you are right as far as getting into the DR but will the US allow you to get back in the US with a Dominican passport? :classic:

I'm assuming she's asking about re newing her Dominican passport. That is the reason I wrote that a valid US passport is needed above all.

Sep 19, 2005
yeah but dominicans in america who have dominican passports can get in and out with those passports......the new law is in effect right now and i saw a hundred people with dominican passports coming into the country right along side of me....

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe with a little thing called a green card/residency paper between the pages ;)

Dominicanchic17

Feb 21, 2007
Clarification of situation

Ok, so I am a permanent resident of the U.S. I am a citizen of the Dominican Republic. My green card does not expire for another 10 years and then I have to renew again. I am living and have been living in the united States since the age of 4. My passport is due to expire at the end of this month. I know I can go to D.R with my passport and back into the U.S as long as my passport has not expired and will not expire between my travel dates. However, i do not have the time to go to D.R to personally renew it, so I want to know if I can do it here in the U.S. I live in Rhode Island but Have family in NY. Do I need a copy of my birth certificate to renew? Hopefully this clarifies my situation a little more. Thank you for your replies thus far.

Soraya K.

Sep 19, 2005
hey Anna, do you think bullet #8 on the link you provided ,answers this girls question? the term Renovate is slightly confusing to me....It COULD mean renew....or it could mean alter..like a new address change...or a maritial name change....

anyway dominicanchica17...use the link and find the consular phone number and ask them. Its the best way......I would think the consulate could be sued to get a renewal....I am not sure the time line will be short though.

good luck

bob

C

Chip00

I was born in the Dominican Republic. I moved to the U.S when I was about four years old with my mother. I have been living here ever since. I visited D.R often, until recently. I renewed my passport the last time I was there, I was 17 at the time, and it is due to expire at the end of this month, which I just happened to realize. How do I go about renewing it? Do I need to deal with the D.R consulate? Can I renew it here in the U.S or do I have to travel to D.R to get it renewed? Any information or links to pertinent websites would be extremely helpful.

Gracias

I believe we can help - A couple of questions first:

1. Where do you live?
2. Are you a US citizen or resident?

Chip

C

Chip00

Renew passport

What I would highly recommend is going to a Domincan bodega or restaurant and ask them if there where the nearest consulate is to where you. I wouldn't even both trying to call any of the consulates or embassies as I did this and even if they pick up the phone half the time they won't know the answer.

The reason why I say this is that my Dominican wife renewed her passport in an office that offers consular services in Orlando when, if you check the consular webpage, supposedly there is no consular office in Orlando. I don't know why they don't bother to put things like this on their website nor inform the people working there.

Nonetheless, it is worth the investigation and if I remember right the passport cost like US40 and took 4 weeks to get back.

Conversley, if you can't wait that long just have it renewwed in country here.

Good luck

May 31, 2005
Whatever you do, don't renew it at the airport. They charged me more than if I just went to a normal office and it was only renewed for 6 months.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Ok, so I am a permanent resident of the U.S. I am a citizen of the Dominican Republic. My green card does not expire for another 10 years and then I have to renew again. I am living and have been living in the united States since the age of 4. My passport is due to expire at the end of this month. I know I can go to D.R with my passport and back into the U.S as long as my passport has not expired and will not expire between my travel dates. However, i do not have the time to go to D.R to personally renew it, so I want to know if I can do it here in the U.S. I live in Rhode Island but Have family in NY. Do I need a copy of my birth certificate to renew? Hopefully this clarifies my situation a little more. Thank you for your replies thus far.

Soraya K.

Dominicana, you can go to Boston or New York. You do not need an appointment just show up with your old passport and some other form of ID, like your greencard. I believe it cost 180 dollars or something like that... they renew it for 6 years and that is tha minimum.... good luck