cheap solar power is here....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me just say, we have been talking about the solar power here and i complained, as usual. LOL

now our solar panel is fixed and working i can shower in HOT HOT HOT water, wash dishes in hot water, bathe in hot water, wash the cat in hot water (HE is NOT appreciative, maybe should stop stepping in his own poo).

i had my doubts but now i can see it is working! and working fine too.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
let me just say, we have been talking about the solar power here and i complained, as usual. LOL

now our solar panel is fixed and working i can shower in HOT HOT HOT water, wash dishes in hot water, bathe in hot water, wash the cat in hot water (HE is NOT appreciative, maybe should stop stepping in his own poo).

i had my doubts but now i can see it is working! and working fine too.

I understand that the main issue concerning alternative power technology is not whether it works or not, it's a question of cost-effectiveness, which is necessary for its widespread or universal application. For example, I have a home security system that would make Rube Goldberg churn in his grave from jealousy. However, it cannot be duplicated in a practical and cost-effective manner.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot talk about costs of our solar panel as we live in a condo. panels were installed and fixed by them and the water is included in a maintenance fee.

however minovio's mum has put the solar panel for the water heater in her new house and despite the cost of the panel+installation she is happy with it.
i guess it is hard to fork out the money for that but it seems to be working fine. may be a problem if it had to serve more people but for the small household is perfect.

the plans for our future house in POP include solar panels too, i support environmentally friendly energy sources. and sun is free in DR!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That would be great. I just hope it's real, and not another "cold fusion breakthrough".

I'll believe it when I see it, and I'll remain hopeful. $1 a watt would certainly change how the world does things. Might even make electric cars practical. I can just see young "tuners" drag racing their solar cars, their bodywork adorned with efficient solar energy producing film, pit stops being where the best sun is, doing 11 second 1/4 miles...silently:p

Note the developer asks for government just to get out of the way. A sound idea, one I'll endorse.

(A note to Mr. Chavez, and President Bob of Iran: you DO realize your regimes are screwed if this stuff is for real, don't you?:laugh: )

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
and sun is free in DR!
Tell that to my neighbours who use electric clothes dryers when the sun is blazing, all-night aircon all year round, even on nights like last night when the temperatures are probably below the minimum setting on the a/c unit, and still whinge when they get their electricity bills!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, i know. minovio runs bloody air con all night long and when i get up in the morning i have to wear full pyjamas plus socks plus warmest sweater. they tell me i should be used to the cold since i am from poland but i say "yes, poland is cold but only in the winter and OUT-bloody-SIDE!".

as to drying clothes outside. we have a big balcony but in truly dominican architectural style the building is situated in such way we never get any sun there except for the small spot occupied by the cat. and of course some giant trees are planted outside. i swear - it's colder inside our flat in DR than in my flat in poland during the coldest winter.

alternative power sources: i have read about this polish inventor who worked out the process of turning rubbish (mainly plastic bottles and such) into oil and oil products.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
alternative power sources: i have read about this polish inventor who worked out the process of turning rubbish (mainly plastic bottles and such) into oil and oil products.
In the recent Popular Science magazine (or maybe Popular Mechanics), there is a guy who uses a plasma gas system that turns trash of all kinds into road fill asphalt-like material and gas used for powering power plants.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
(A note to Mr. Chavez, and President Bob of Iran: you DO realize your regimes are screwed if this stuff is for real, don't you?:laugh: )

not much problem, for as you can perhaps decern from the article they have Shell etc. to aid, andperhaps make sure that government somehow stays in the way..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not worry, cobraboy, it's gonna be years before the reliable alternative power sources will be developed and widely available. then it will take a major shift in the people's minds to start using them. so chavez and all the sheiks can sleep soundly...
for now...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just out of curiosity: how much would one have to spend to be COMPLETELY independent from any other power supply save for the solar panels? is it possible to "store" "excess" energy for the rainy days (literally)?

minovio told me his uncle is doing this project for his house to get power supply from solar panels and he has already spent over million pesos on that (mind you, it's a huge house with pool and lots of land). sounds like lots of money to me....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am gonna strap something somewhere and poke you with it!
LOL
it's enviromental forum, not mars and venus, right?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
just out of curiosity: how much would one have to spend to be COMPLETELY independent from any other power supply save for the solar panels? is it possible to "store" "excess" energy for the rainy days (literally)?

I don't know enough about this, but in theory there 's no reason why you couldn't charge your inverter with this excess energy. Anyone doing this already?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Some Silicon Valley's geek geniouses and some large spanish company are also working on the similar technology. ..DR, (ITLA and the Santo Domingo Cyberpark in particular) might just see itself taking part in the manufacturing action!

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/57028-future-drs-manufacturing-export-industry.html

most relevant part:

dr1 Daily News:
...Fernandez then met with the chief executives ofNanosolar (1) (2), who also promised the Dominican President their assistance in the development of new technologies for renewable energy. The Cyberpark (1)will participate in an innovative solar energy project that will use new materials manufactured by Nanosolar to reduce the cost of solar energy installations by 50 or 60%. In Silicon Valley, President Fernandez met with Martin Roscheisen and Brian Sager of Nanosolar. As reported in Diario Libre, President Fernandez expressed his interest that the company in the future may manufacture these materials in the DR for export to the East Coast of the US, the Caribbean and Latin America. ..

DR1 Daily News sometime after:

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Solar power to get a boost
One of the world's leading solar energy companies is opening two factories in the Dominican Republic with an initial investment of more than EUR100 million and plans to invest as much as EUR1.0 billion over the next ten years.
The president of the National Energy Commission, Aristides Fernandez Zucco announced that Isofoton, the world's fifth largest manufacturer of solar products, and the largest in Spain, plans to install two factories in Haina, just south of Santo Domingo. The company, known as IsoTecsol-RD in the Dominican Republic, makes photovoltaic cells for electricity and solar water heaters. The new plant will produce the photovoltaic plates needed for energy production. Construction is scheduled to start in January 2007. The second facility will be installed in Las Americas Cyber-Park

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Run Meter Backward

Some places in the US allow you to use solar power and sell the excess back to the power company by running the meter backward. (Similar to the way you gain value for a used car imported to the DR.)
When I made a preliminary inquiry about solar power for our yet to be built home the estimated cost was about $30,000 USD.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Looks like isofoton is moving ahead:

Platts Renewable Energy Report

<CENTER>
<CENTER>January 22, 2007</CENTER>
SECTION: SOLAR; Pg. 20 No. 122

Isofot?n plans solar tech plants at Dominican Republic sites

Spain's Isofot?n is to build two solar equipment production facilities in the Dominican Republic with an initial investment of ?100 million, president of the Dominican National Energy Commission Ar?stides Fern?ndez Zucco said. He estimated the total investment could reach ?1 billion over the first 10 years.

Company executive Jose Luis Manzamo confirmed the announcement during the inauguration of the first company's production facility in the Spanish city of Malaga.

Isofot?n, working through its Dominican affiliate IsoTecso, intends to build a plant to produce polysilicate for solar panels in Haina. Construction is scheduled to begin this month, Fern?ndez Zucco said. Work on the second production facility, which will produce solar batteries, is scheduled to start by June in the Las Am?ricas Cyberpark in Santo Domingo.
</CENTER>
about isofoton:

Isofoton is a Spanish company, the biggest solar photovoltaic manufacturer in Europe. They have recently taken some very big steps toward integrating themselves into the North American market.

Edited to add!

Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

2/6/2007
Los trabajos de la primera etapa de construcci?n de la que ser? la m?s grande y moderna f?brica de colectores t?rmicos en am?rica Latina y el Caribe fueron iniciados hace dos semanas, como parte del proyecto de inversi?n de Isofot?n-Tecsol en Rep?blica Dominicana.

La obra se construye en un ?rea de ocho mil metros cuadrados, ubicada en la Zona Industrial de Haina, ...

Esta planta de colectores t?rmicos (calentadores de aguas solares) permitir? suplir el mercado local y el mercado latinoamericano de este producto de ?ltima generaci?n, y en un futuro cercano a todos los pa?ses vinculados con el Tratado de Libre Comercio de Estados Unidos, Rep?blica Dominicana y Centroam?rica. Hace dos semana una misi?n t?cnica-administrativa de la empresa espa?ola Isofot?n visit? el lugar donde se instala la planta en la Zona Industrial de Haina para inspeccionar el ?rea de construcci?n y determinar los equipos de ?ltima generaci?n para la fabricaci?n de esos colectores t?rmicos, que ya han sido ordenados en Espa?a.
Los ingenieros Juan Fern?ndez San Jos?, Director de la Divisi?n de Energ?a T?rmica, y Javier del R?o, Director Financiero de la Divisi?n de Comercio exterior, de Isofot?n, estuvieron en el pa?s a mediados de enero pasado como parte del inicio de los referidos trabajos.
Los equipos que se instalar?n en esta nueva planta llegar?n a Rep?blica Dominicana entre mayo y junio de este a?o, mientras la empresa Tecsol completa la construcci?n y las facilidades f?sicas necesarias.

ara ?ltima semana de este mes de febrero esta prevista la visita al pa?s del Director del Departamento de Ingenier?a de Isofot?n para proyectar los requerimientos t?cnicos de ?ltima generaci?n de la nueva planta.

Otra Planta en RD
El licenciado Fern?ndez Zucco inform?, igualmente, que una vez puesta en operaci?n la plata de colectores t?rmicos en la Zona Industrial de Herrera, se iniciar? la segunda etapa de esta iniciativa de inversi?n Isofot?n-Tecsol para Rep?blica Dominicana que consta con la instalaci?n de la planta de ensamblaje de celdas fotovoltaicas y paneles solares para ser distribuidos y comercializados en el mercado local y en el mercado internacional.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Here's more, ..

Looks like harvasting solar energy in DR will soon get a lot cheaper. ..

oficina_sto_domingo2.jpg

.:: Fluitecnik, S.A. - Esp?ritu de Servicio ::.

September 18, 2006
SOLAR; Pg. 16 No. 113

Spain's Fluitecnik inks contract to build Santo Domingo PV plant

The solar division of Spanish renewable energy company Fluitecnik has signed an agreement with the Cybernetic Park of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic to set up a 23 million euros facility to produce solar photovoltaic panels. The facility will be based in an industrial yard located near the Las Americas freeway in Santo Domingo.

Fluitecnik's project will create 35 direct and 250 indirect jobs, according to estimates from the Dominican Republic's Export and Investment Center.

Fluitecnik President Alberto Madoz said his company would organize free courses on the new technology to students willing to participate in projects at the Las Americas Institute of Technology in the Cybernetic Park.