anyone looking for a renter?

AUDREYWILLIAMS

Feb 8, 2007
my husband and i are looking for a new home, relocating from charleston sc. what we've been doing is renting couple of months on various islands to "feel it out" and research before taking the plunge into home ownership. we're planning a vacation soon to the DR and instead would like to turn our 2 week vacation into a 6 mont rental.
would like to correspond with anyone interested in renting their home short term. not really sure what area we are interested in (been doing some research and from the few thread responses ive recieved regarding crime in the DR we may be interesested in the sosua/cabereta area?)
any comments or offers greatly appreciated. im currently talking to some realtors from century 21 as well but would like to avoid high cost if possible.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If you're heading to the Sosua/Cabarete area, I'd suggest you simply book a hotel or apt for a month. Once here, you'll have time to look at different areas, look at bulletin boards for rental options, etc.

In other words, come on down & do your long term apt/villa shopping once you're here. You'll have a better feel for areas in which you'd want to rent as opposed to making a decision sight unseen.

C

Chip00

my husband and i are looking for a new home, relocating from charleston sc. what we've been doing is renting couple of months on various islands to "feel it out" and research before taking the plunge into home ownership. we're planning a vacation soon to the DR and instead would like to turn our 2 week vacation into a 6 mont rental.
would like to correspond with anyone interested in renting their home short term. not really sure what area we are interested in (been doing some research and from the few thread responses ive recieved regarding crime in the DR we may be interesested in the sosua/cabereta area?)
any comments or offers greatly appreciated. im currently talking to some realtors from century 21 as well but would like to avoid high cost if possible.

Greetings fellow geechies! I grew up on James Island. Welcome to the DR. I live in Santiago with my Domincan wife and we've been here for a year now.

Homes can be rented here but usually on a yearly basis. It really depends on where you want to stay as to the prices you will pay. Typically if the home is away from the tourist areas say for instance here in Santiago you can find a nice 3 bdrm. house for between RD10k to 15k in a nice neighborhood. For instance the house we rented a house for 8500 before we bought the one we are in now.

Good Luck

Chip

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Audrey and Pablo,
We are looking for babysitters for our hotel in Las Galeras out on the Samana peninsula. We are usually gone in May anywhere from 1 to 6 months during the off season. The hotel is closed and we provide a nice 1 bedroom apartment at a deeply discounted rate in return for keeping the place and taking care of the dog. PM me if you are interested.

davidr

Feb 11, 2007
Hi:

I have a 2 bedroom condo right on the beach at Hideaway Beach, which is half way between Sosua and Cabarete. PM if you would like more info.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
rental

Hi Audrey,

I'm sure you will be getting inundated with offers, so here's mine to join the list!

We have a three bedroom apartment in Cabarete. You said you weren't looking for 'expensive', what were you thinking of spending per month? Although ours is likely, on the face of it, to be more than you would be looking for, depending upon when you were coming, I would probably be willing to do a deal because it is only just being finished now, so we aren't yet getting many people renting (we didn't know when it would be finished, so we couldn't start marketing). If you are looking reasonably soon, ie aiming to be out again by December of this year, we would be happy with covering our expenses.

The going holiday rate is US$1,300 per week but I'd be willing to do a long term rent for substantially less than that for 6 months, paid in advance.

Even if you don't go for ours (and I appreciate it may be bigger than you are looking for) I'm more than happy to help you out in any way that I can with regard to real estate agents, lawyer etc. I think Cabarete is a fantastic spot. It is small enough to be friendly but large enough to be fun. There are some great restaurants on the beach but it isn't too 'lively'. It is certainly more 'up market' than Sosua. At the moment, real estate in the area is booming. We bought our apartment for $160,000 off plan, last February. If I was to put it on the market today, I'd be looking for about $300,000. Obviously, that level of growth won't happen again next year but certainly double digit percentage increases are sustainable for a while. We used Bodo at Sunshine Investment, he was excellent, very helpful at all stages, even putting me in touch with a local who took me furniture shopping. Bodo negotiated that I'd pay the guy US$100 to drive me around and then he'd do the negotiating for me (I don't speak Spanish). Thus, I got taken to 'locals' shops and saved a lot more than $100 due to his negotiations! If you contact Bodo, say I sent you!

If you think you might be interested, let me know what you can afford to pay monthly. If it covers what I need, I'll send you photographs etc. Like I said, even if not, I'll happily share some of my experiences of buying.

Good luck and have fun!
keith.fitton@manx.net

Cheers, Keith

PS I'm in Cabarete from Wednesday of next week for one week, if there's anything specific while I'm there...