the ITBIS thread reminded of a place i ate

Sep 19, 2005
I took my GF and her mother out to eat in Santiago. We went to a place called......now go easy on me..i might get this wrong...

La Campagna on Pablo Duarte( route 14).( they also have a pastry store next door)

we had a nice meal and when the check came there was no 10% gratuity already added..... heck even the cabanas add the 10% to their bill along with the ITBIS....what kind of "service" do they provide????

so that was nice to see that the resturant doesnt automatically charge you.....

that is the first time I have seen that on a paper bill for a resturant in the DR
bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bob:

I am surprised her mother is still chaparoning your cabana stays this far into the relationship.

:laugh:

Sep 19, 2005
I knew I could suprise you....

but I am getting smarter, I select the double room set up, and buy a buffet platter and have it put in the "other " room.......

of course i am fine ...thanks for thinking of me

your bud

bob

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
The 10% is not a tip, it is a percentage charged to be distributed amongst all the employees as part of their salaries.
The 16% is the food tax paid to the governement

This was mentioned on another thread by Rocky. So, apparantly, the 10% added to the bill is not in fact a gratuity, but part of their salary. This being said, this 10% as a tip turns out to be a popular misconception, and the wait staff are actually, in a sense, missing out on actual tips because customers think they are already tipping!

Marlie

P.S. A thought on the cabana bill - possibly the 10% added on to the "cabana" bill goes to the guy/girl who brought the "client" there! Kind of like the people who offer to take people on guided tours of the city, and only take them to places where they get a kickback from the business? :p

Sep 19, 2005
well that is exactly how it happens in america...they pay waitresses less than the mininumum wages because they know they gets tips to compensate....so it is no different if they put it on the bill or not...I am not going to get CHARGED the tip...AND THEN TIP on top of that....plus the fact that the tip itself would be COMPOUDED!!!!!!!!!!... thats crazy...

they put it on the bill they get a small tip possibly...they leave it off...I tip like I do normally...based on the service and the standard 15% plus or minus....I am not going to get CHARGED the 10% and then tip 20%...thats just being stupid.

as far as your comment on the cabana......I am lost...sounds like you think the cabana is a whore house....it isnt.

heck people dating for years go there, maybe even married couples in town visting relatives might go there to be discreet, and not show any dissrepect to their host with sexual noises in the night.

no they add the 10% on probably , because they think they can get away with it...who sits there and argues with a hole in the wall????
right before you want to have sex with someone???
ha ha ha ha

bob

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Whoa, bob!

It was a joke about the cabanas! Now I know how it feels when you say no one gets your jokes!:lick:

Although, while I was living in the DR and working there, it was not uncommon for certain workers at the resort that I worked at, to ask their unsuspecting prey (read: tourist) to go to a cabana as they were not allowed in the rooms. So, when looking it at that way....:laugh:

I was not implying that you use the cabanas for anything but a romantic getaway, I just know of others that do just the opposite;)

Marlie

Sep 19, 2005
never thought about it from the worker angle..( as in sankie worker)

they dont have resorts in santiago , and I cant remember if i saw a cabana in any of the resort towns I have stayed in........

sorry I missed the joke.....give me a little face next time or a few laughs......:knockedou

bob

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
sorry I missed the joke.....give me a little face next time or a few laughs......

Oh, but I did - check it out - a smiley face at the end of the sentence!

There are tons of "cabanas" in POP, just look for what looks like storage rental units with garage doors and that is what they are!

Disclaimer: pointed out to me by people, never have used one.

Anyway, this is getting of your main topic.:bandit:

Marlie