Help for some friends....Tender/Bahia and tour guides?

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Does anyone know if the Bahia Principe is open to cruisers during their stops in Samana?

Some friends are going in a few weeks and would like to know if they would be able to use facilites at this hotel.

Also, does anyone know of reliable people that can pick people up from the ship to take them to Cayo Levantado instead of taking the tenders?

thanks for helping......(and all the help everyone here gave me this past year before my trip to the DR)

what about tour companies? anything besides cruisesamana?

I am almost home one week from 9 days of heaven in the DR and so jelous and now want to go on A cruise! LOL

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
We currently have between 2 and 3 cruise ships a week visiting Samana. They anchor just to the west of Cayo Levantado. Tenders take passengers for day trips into either the Cayo or into Samana. Samana is absolutely jammed when the passengers arrive, over 500 at a time.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
I know for sure the NCL and Oceana Cruise lines BOTH dock in Samana - at least that is the port schedule on the cruise - (friends on NCL in April/end of March)

Cruise line is trying to charge them $75 for the trip to Cayo Lenantado including a BBQ lunch - they do not want to pay the ship and are hoping there are places to eat and things to do with out forking over that kind of money. (Cruise lines ALWAYS rip off when coming to excursions - I have never booked one with a cruise line and always go independant)

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Cruise ships in Samana

Are you referring to GBP Cayacoa or GBP Cayo Levantado, actually don't matter, none of the GBP in Samana will sale day passes to anyone at this time.

Regarding shore excursions from NCL website:
-Cayo Levantado Beach Escape, Approximate Duration: 4 hours, No lunch, Adult Pricing From: $29
-Cayo Levantado Beach Party, Approximate Duration: 4 hours, BBQ lunch, Adult Pricing From: $69

On arrival on shore, they will be swarm by people trying to sale them all kind of excursions and promise the moon. The problem is, most of them they can?t deliver as promise. Be aware. Safer to book from the cruise ship.

Shopping is chaotic at list, till the new shopping plaza will open in the next couple of months. Then watch out, will be like in Cozumel on cruise days! 50% off on diamond tennis bracelets.LOL

Here are a couple of pictures of the shopping plaza in Samana, still in the construction phase.

samana-shoping3.jpg

samana-shoping4.jpg

They are more then one cruise ship at the time in Samana, as you can see in this picture taken on February 15 2007. 2 big ships and one smaller ship at the anchor, in the harbor.

cruise-ships33.jpg

WebDev

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks for the great pics of the area.

The problem is they dont want to pay the cruise line if there is a cheaper way to get to Cayo Levantado and then pay for their own lunch. The cruise line is charging $40 PP for a bbq lunch and they PROBABLY could get lunch for 2 people with a couple of beers for less than the price of one that the ship is charging

I have cruised many times and NEVER have taken excursions that the ship offers - I have found thru research and recommendations you CAN find better prices with the locals/tour companies for the exact same thing.

What would the price be from the port to CL in a cab or boat?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
More than one ship ??

Sorry to stray but,,,
frightened by the photo from webdev, what do the whales think of all this activity ??.

I'll ask Kim when she's a little less busy but curious of the folks on the forums view,,,,.

Enjoy your evening
cg

WebDev
"They are more then one cruise ship at the time in Samana, as you can see in this picture taken on February 15 2007. 2 big ships and one smaller ship at the anchor, in the harbor."

cruise-ships33.jpg

[/COLOR]